Cayman XT and PRO are Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Xzibit, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950

Antilles dual is Radeon HD 6990, all Q4

The Cayman PRO is Radeon HD 6950, Cayman XT is Radeon HD 6970 and guess what, the Antilles dual-chip card is Radeon HD 6990. No surprises there.

AMD still sticks with its schedule to ship Radeon HD 6950, HD 6970 and HD6990 in Q4 2010 and it was confirmed one more time that Radeon HD 5700 series will continue to live into Q4 2010 and onwards.

An AMD executive from the GPU Division is the one who shared this with the world and its partners. Many won’t be surprised, but this is the first time that we got something that we can claim is official. We have decided to withold his name for his own sake as we didn't speak to him directly, we just got these latest info he talked about.

Now that we know the names we can go after the specs and performance of this beast, AMD’s biggest and hottest GPU ever. At Fudzilla, Eliot mostly cares about TDP but most of us here agree that a Porsche GT3 is a way better product than a Toyota Prius, despite its fuel consumption. We do acknowledge that the Prius has way better “TDP”. Let it be big and hot, as long as it wins benchmarks and doesn´t cook our homes.

Source

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i want 6970 (CaymanXT) for max 350€

:wakeup call::sleep2:lol

3. robert1990

robert1990 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Same here, going to get 1 of the HD 6970 unit soon if the review about this card is good. Probably will get 1 with HIS's iCooler design or Sapphire's Vapor-X design. Hope AMD won't jack up the price ridiculously high. Fingers-crossed ;)

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Got a more reliable source than Fudzilla? Fud is a synonym for bull**** btw...

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You say that but I was under the impression that this info is basically safely assumed knowledge by now. It (the naming scheme) was certainly what I thought before even reading this post.

6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Source
    Nobody know the real performance of these cards and this is very interesting :eyebrows:

7. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    ^ Ohnoes, but what about first 512-bit bus ever since 2900XT??

At l(e)ast, 2Gb confirmed! It's going to be f*cking great for Antilles, I got really tired of RAM size bottlenecks with SSAA on :pipe:

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    that was a failure, as you know ati wasn't ready for it, guess they still aren't.. maybe with true NI @ 28nm process :D

imo a superfast gddr5+256bit that tops around 180-220gb/s should be enough, even for 6990.

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    the 512 bus was likely going to increase the price without really helping the card, like the past series, memory bandwidth likely won't be the bottleneck

10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Jae-So
    (Selling 5970)
    Time to choose, :eyebrows: what you will buy!

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    hmm depends, if they are fairly equal in performance (and maybe even power consumption) as suggested then I'll look at the price, if there's not much difference there I'll go with the GTX580 as you get physx, itz a gimmick yes but might as well have it if you can

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Jae-So
    :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think they was ready, because 480 wasn't "full" GF100, and AMD knew that, however we don't know level performance and this is main question.
    Interesting, why AMD don't share some presentation or diagrams like nvidia?
    Are they so sure in victory?

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    well yea they could be ready, but imo on 40nm its still not worth it or maybe its to fast and they're waiting for nvidia to make something beyond 200 gb/s..

lol:D looks like it, i think that 3dmark vantage and unigine bench where real, they leaked 2 "most wanted" benchmarks and said look this is what it can do, wait for final release!
    After that leaked rumors followed and the more we approach 22 november the more it looks to be true :nerd:

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Cool, I don't seen them, man, can you post them here? :)

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

16. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Nice, thank you.
    I think, in next days, we will se some benchmarks with cool driver optimisation :)

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    HD6990 will be hell of a card, since AMD fixed Crossfire scaling.

18. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Last days of November

The latest info that we have received on Cayman is that there might be a launch this month. It appears to be delayed by a single week and that the company will make it for a late November launch.

We’ve been hearing November 22nd as the launch date and some other people have indicated mid of that week and now the date is November 29th, but again things tend to change far too often.

We are not sure on the quantities and availability but ATI might have more cards than the competition expected. We are not sure about the performance, early report was that the prototype was slower than GTX 580, but who knows, with a tweak or two as well as an increased clock and better drivers, Cayman might have a chance. In any case it will be a very close race.

The plan is to launch Radeon HD 6970 and HD 6950 together, while the X2 dual chip version aka Radeon HD 6990 comes later, most likely in early 2011.

Now let’s go after that final spec.
    Source

19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, and the 580 doesn't have tweaked drivers either, so don't expect the balance to tip too much. Heck, the 4xx series gained 15-20% more performance in driver updates alone.

20. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    580=unlocked 480, about what drivers you talking?
    6000 series is not 5000, different chips, and different performance :eyebrows: