GTS450 good for dedicated Physx card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Shagula, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    My question is the title... Is a GTS450 good for dedicated Physx card?

Going to be using it in my signature system. Currently using a GTX285 but the noise it makes is pissing me off as the rest of my system is virtually silent. Or would it be better to go for a 768meg cheap GTX460?

This question is aimed at people who HAVE experience using a powerful dedicated Physx card for multi monitor gaming/3D gaming. Please no "Its too powerful just get a GT240" comments. Thanks!

2. Wokis

Wokis Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan
    Don't have any experience whatsoever with dedicated physx so I'm not claiming that I'm adding anything but a note that I'm interested in seeing the educated responses. Maybe GT 430 is something noteworthy?

I did however have the impression that physx performance wasn't resolution-dependent (hence you brought up 3d and multi monitor in your question). Was I mis-told or have things changed perhaps?

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I also dont have much experience as i've only used the 285 but i have seen benchmarks showing that slower Physx cards can hold back your main graphics system. I dont want to get something thats quiet that will make my system choke when playing my normal games :) (As playing with multi monitors/3D really really hammers your performance). Looking at the hardware stats for the GTS450 it seems to be ~roughly on par with a GTX260. Its a shame that none of the big websites have tested a bunch of newer cards as dedicated physx card :(

4. ariskar

ariskar Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    285 should be superior. Use a lower fan profile/bios setting for your 285 and clean its cooler from dust.

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Why wouldn't a mainstream card like the 450 not be good? You guys ask bone head questions sometimes lol

6. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I am not going to spoil all the fun, but do you really need a dedicated PhysX card?

I'll try to explain as I even purchased 9600GT for PhysX several years ago...
    If you look here, you will get an idea, that PhysX is a very cool THING used almost everywhere... but the truth is a bit different, and actually this List is a bit... misleading.

You see, absolute majority of the games in this list does indeed use PhysX, but only in software, thus CPU-bound.
    I had bought 9600GT only with Dragon Age in mind, and can you imagine, what my feelings had been, when I discovered, hardware PhysX was not there.

PhysX is indeed a great tech, but it's implementation is lagging, HW PhysX supported games are rare and scarce at best. If you google a bit, you will most likely find a rather discouraging number of 16-20 games, that really use GPU for PhysX…

And you know what – the ONLY game, that I own, that can use HW PhysX, is Borderlands, and to make things even worse, I don’t like the game, so don’t play it at all.

So, when I decided to upgrade my trustworthy GTX285, I sold both it and 9600GT and got myself a pair of GTX460 – now even if I stumble on a cool game, that use HW PhysX, I know, that my cards will do just fine without a dedicated card….

The only reason, why you might want to get a dedicated PhysX card – is if you don’t have any current GeForce cards… and looking at your data in profile – that’s not the case.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I know its probably better but i would rather spend 50 bux less on a 450 opposed to a 460 if it will work just as well. At standard fan settings when playing a game the 280 gets to 80 degrees C pretty quickly and heats up everything else in my case which makes everything loud and pisses me off. I have cleaned out all the dust with compressed air :). Its just hot and loud like it always was.

Its not a bone head question. People say all the time just get a GT220/240, its just Physx, you dont need something great for it. You can use a crap card and it turns out that a more powerful card works better than the cheapy. Perfect example is Mafia 2, people get far better FPS just by having a more powerful Physx card. What if i bought something that doesn't have the grunt to do what i want it to... I'd be annoyed. When playing with 3D vision with 3 monitors every single extra frame counts to make the game playable. Im asking because i was hoping someone here might have some experience.

Yes :) I completely understand your story and it all makes perfect sense. When i got my 2 x 460s i decided to get a 3D monitor and liked it so much i got 2 more for 3D surround vision. Turned out that my PC can play games like Batman Arkham/Mafia 2 in 3D vision across the 3 monitors with Physx on ONLY when i have the 285 in to help out. The dual 460s aren't enough. In hindsight i probably should have bought 2 x GTX 480s but i didnt and im not going to buy them now. I may as well just wait for the next series of cards rather than spend another thousand dollars now. I do not mind however spending 150 bux on a quieter newer card to help my current system work how i want it to. I dont like my PC sounding like a vacuum cleaner. :)

8. Boulard83

Boulard83 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb Crucial ballistix
    GTS450 is an excellent physX card.

/thread

9. angmar

angmar Guest

Personally I would go for the 768 gtx 460...for a measilly 30 dollars more the card is leaps an bounds ahead of the 450 and would imo make for a much reliable physx card and give you a future proof buffer at the same time...atleast for 2 or 3 years id say

and I actually had an msi gtx 460 that I ocd to 900 and ran the bios default auto fan settings I could not hear it over my system and the hottest it got as a dedicated graphics card was 75c

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    this thread seems to indicate that regardless of what GPU you have, high end or mid or low end, physx performance is the same.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326996

There's also a link there for Cryostasis, not just Mafia II. Both games are around 2 years apart but physx performance remains the same regardless of what GPU is used.

11. mm1985

mm1985 Member

GPU:
    GTX460 Hawk+GTX260(physx)
    Shagula, I see that you are now usung a GTS450 instead of a GTX285. What is your experience of GTS450 vs. GTX285 as a dedicated physx card?

I myself am actually wondering if a GTS450 is better than a GTX260 SP216 as a dedicated physx if we are talking about performance. The GTX260 have more cuda cores, but the GTS450 have higher clocks. That is why I am unsure about this. But if your experience is that the GTS450 is better than a GTX285, then the answer is of course clear.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  12. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    It works brilliant, performance is pretty much the same as the 285, ran some benches and there really wasnt any point posting them as the performance is about near identical. Playing Batman AA in 3D vision surround with the 450 as a dedicated PHYSX card it only gets used ~30% Max according to Afterburner. Its totally silent and uses next to no power compared to the good old vacuum cleaner sounding power hog GTX285. It also doesn't get half as hot either therefore helps keep the other 2 cards cooler. Much much happier with the 450.

13. mm1985

mm1985 Member

GPU:
    Thanks for your answer.

14. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    No problems, i've also tested my spare 460 as a dedicated PHYSX card and it gives near identical performance to the 450. So i'd say anything more powerful might be a waste, especially seeing as Afterburner tells me the 450 is only being used at ~30% in worst case scenarios.

15. mm1985

mm1985 Member

GPU:
    I don't think that this 30% have to say too much. My GTX260 is also not "efficient" used, the usuage is always very far from 100% (very often also something like 30% max). But if I overclock my GTX260 there is some increase in fps. So I think that a max. usage far away from 100% does not have to mean that there can not be an improvement anymore.
    For example the Batman Arkham Asylum ingame benchmark (1920x1080, 4x AA en further everthing at highest possible):

GTX460@900-1800-4000 + GTX 260@576-1242-1015
    min: 48
    max: 122
    avg: 87

GTX460@900-1800-4000 + GTX 260@650-1401-1200
    min: 49
    max: 129
    avg: 90

Max. usage of the GTX260 during this benchmark was 58%.

Btw, I don't think that overclocking the memory had any affect. (And if it has, the difference was at least not measurabe.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

16. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    well i guess for PhysX a dedicated PhysX card won't go into 3d Clock ,so it won't matter if you overclock the card or no.

17. mm1985

mm1985 Member

GPU:
    It will go into 3D clocks (confirmed with afterburner). Otherwise I would not have seen a fps increase by overclocking the GTX260 in the first place.

18. stanley1

stanley1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 + GTX 260 PHYSX
    I use my gtx 260 for physx along side my 480 for graphics, i get 42fps average on mafia 2 benchmark. dedicated physx card works great for me. no physx card and i get 32fps, all on max obviously. dropping in a second 480 soon for what i think will be an awesome setup. 480 sli and 260 physics. need a bigger psu but part and parcel right

19. mm1985

mm1985 Member

GPU:
    I think you should really get much better results based on this article: http://www.gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/mafia-ii-public-demo-test-gpu-obnovleno.html (see the second pic from below). Or are you playing at a very high resolution? Or maybe they have used other settings or tweaks.

I myself get 37.5fps with GTX460 (900-1800-4000) + GTX260 (650-1401-1200). And without GTX260 it is 31.9fps. I tested on 1920x1080 and also everything at max settings.

(Btw I think it is handy to run the benchmark a second time, because for some reason the first benchmark run after starting mafiaII always give much worse result.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  20. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Waste of money to buy a nvidia card just for physx, when you can just use your nvidia card for physx.