Case Fans

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xKrNMBoYx, Oct 19, 2010.

1. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    Okay, so I bought a Antec Three-Hundred Illusion a while back. It came with 4 fans.

120mm Blue LED Tricool X2
    140mm Blue LED Dualcool (Only Two Speed Options) x1
    120mm Tricool x1

Well I purchased two Antec 120mm Blue LED Tricools for the case. I'm going to swap out the 120mm without any LED's and then the other one will go on the side. The non led will be used on my younger brother's pc because he only using one exhaust. I will put the 120 non led one as exhaust then the small 80mm can be used as the intake.

My question is which way would be a good way to set up the intake and exhaust on this thing. This is what I'm thinking.

120mm Blue LED Tricool X2 Front Intake
    120mm Blue LED Tricool x1 Back Exhaust
    140mm Blue LED DualCool x1 Top Exhaust
    120mm Blue LED Tricool x1 Side Intake

One person said that if the side fan will be blowing at the graphics card then I should use it as a exhaust. But then I think he meant that only if the power-supply has no exhaust fan or a small 80mm. My power-supply has a 140mm exhaust fan i believe, or 120mm (it looks bigger then a 120mm)

What do you guys think. Should the side fan be an intake or exhaust.

Case is holding

Radeon 4850
    Phenom II x6 1055T OC 3.2Ghz (I'll OC more after getting my Aftermarket cooler)

Other things aren't that important.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Perfect. :)

And it's intake. It brings in fresh air for the GPU cooler.

This wins today's "stupidly stupid statement" award. I wonder if he reverses his CPU fan as well :)

.THe intake and exhaust case fans willl work better, the GPU case fan is so low down it wud have next to no effect on the PSU, plus the air would be warm anyway. This person is mislead..

Your setup looks good.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    Thanks for correcting the guy's comments for me.

As I think about it i've never seen one myself either. But I just googled it and there seems to be some..silverstone seems to have made one

.:edit:.

they have one on newegg..the silver stone one..heres a link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256055

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    NP, and I edited my post for clarification :)

Was it a friend that told you this?

EDIT: Wow wtf that's new to me - I had no idea.....a passive cooling PSU, only 400w though, I imagine it will be doing very light work,

Btw, any user who owns a high end case w/side intake fans....................is not going to be using a 400w passive cooled PSU. [​IMG]

Lol from the specs..
    400w - Yeah maybe high end back in 2002...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    at the moment im using a thermaltake v9be case.

originally, the 23cm fan in the side panel was mounted in such a way that it was acting as an exhaust fan. so what i did was i cut the wires, mount the fan on the outside of the case and flipped it, then snuck the wires through the vents and respliced them together, and now its an intake fan.

one advantage is that i now have more room for a bigger cpu cooler.

the other advantage is that as i am running a crossfire setup, it dramatically improves the supply of air to my choked card. as a result, temps on my choked card dropped from 75C down to 55C - the same temp as my unchoked card.

so yeah, there are benefits to running a side intake fan. i dont see a point to having the side fan act as an exhaust. a top and rear exhaust fan will be sufficient for exhaust.

oh and seasonic have fanless power supplies too. they call it the x-series.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is that the V9000? What size?

I have a Xaser Supertower (they're huge).

Anyway I just bought a CM N620 Hyper CPU cooler, and the only way it would fit in my case was by removing both side intake fans, which annoyed me a bit.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    nah, its the v9 black edition. it was just replaced with the BlacX edition i think?

http://www.thermaltake.com/product_..._00001176&id=C_00001196&name=V9+Black+Edition this model is the one im using. its a midtower.

but yeah, basically mine came with a side fan where the fanblades were angled in such a way where it was acting as an exhaust fan. and because the mounting brackets are only on one side of the fan, i had to mount it on the outside to get it to act as an intake fan. the pic in the link above for some reason says its an intake fan and show the fan blades in the correct angle, so im guessing i just got a dodgy one.

but yeah, when the fan was on the inside of the case, the max cpu cooler height i could get was 12-13cm. with the fan mounted on the outside, i can just fit my thermaltake spinq vt (16cm) so its nice.

im starting to wish i bought a coolermaster case though. coolermaster haf and storm series cases are 5cm wider which has more room for cpu coolers and proper cable management, whereas my case has a massive bulge on one side due to all the power and sata cables. the cooler master cases also have more room for gpus, whereas the best i can do with this case is one 5970 (will touch the floppy cage) and a 5870 on the bottom (will be 4mm from hdd cage).

im hoping that amd's cayman and antilles wont be much longer than cypress and hemlock...

8. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4850 512MB
    No it was some guys opinion online. My friends either know enough about computers (PC/Linux Nerds) or they know nothing at all about computers.

hrm...im using a 4850..and the new 6870 and 6850 are looking good...it may be time to upgrade..maye

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Usually I stay about 2 generations behind with gfx cards.

My intention was to replace my beloved GTX with a 4870 or 90, but all the talk about high temps and dead cards put me off.
    So I'll be looking at a 5xxx when the price drops enough...

Btw that's a strange amount of ram you have there. What's sticks do you have installed?