Fermi, GTX460, GTX470, GTX465, GTX480...Bios Modding..Edit Voltage restrictions-mods

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BetA, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Does increasing the voltages improve memory stability (overclocking the PCB) or it it just limited to the core speed?

2. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Increasing the voltages can improve everything, if you want to try increasing the Vcore voltage a little to get better memory OCs I say give it a shot. Don't let your GPU have all the fun! :)

-Systemlord

3. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I have currently got my system stable at 800/1616/3900mhz at 1037mV with afterburner. I use a Gelid Icey Vision Cooler with a Gelid Extreme thermal paste so my idle temps are 32 degrees and 53 degrees at load. My PCB temp at idle is 25 degrees and 37 at load. Overall i reckon i have very good temps but i want to push my system a bit more.

Will you ge able to max out my voltages please Beta13

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

When the CHOKES/Caps making sounds then the Quality of the Card is not good...Thats why i buy Gigabyte, MSI or Asus..They mostly dont have these buzzing noises..My gigabyte now starts buzzing only when im over 800 frames per second...So mostly i dont hear it ;)

Sorry, but i guess u cant do something about it...But u can test when it happens..That would be good to know...SO fire up something with high Frames to see when it happens..

greetz Beta

5. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Hy mate...

here u go..Voltage restriction maxed out..But be carefull with it, ok....

Pic:
    [​IMG]

Greetings Beta

6. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Thats exactly when it happens, when Vsync is Off and my frames rates are like 200+, but the second I turn on Vsync while either stress testing or gaming the buzzing sounds are gone. I have to turn off Vsync to load my GPU 100% when checking for ultimate stability from my overclocks. I just finished 1 hour of both OC Scanner and OCCT at 880MHz core, 1760MHz shader and 4400MHz memory without errors! Temps are still in the mid 50's, what is it about high frame rates that causes these sounds? Thank you BetA13! :)

-Systemlord

7. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. Cheers mate :cheers:

8. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    thats because they used low quality Choks on that card...there are some cards out there that dont have these anymore, like the MSI HAWK i think..im not shure about that..But when they put low Quality chokes on that card u will hear these noises when the frames are high enough..

With my Gigabyte it starts at about 700 - 800 frames when under stress...But thats totaly fine.i will never play games at that frame rate ....

I guess, next time u buy a card..watch out how they are builded, and that they are quality...When buying a new card watch out for this:

Solid State Choke
    - Pure Iron Core
    - New generation, form-in-one choke
    - No buzz noise
    - Solid chokes

That should be the best thing for non buzzing sounds ;)

Heres something elde i found in a forum:

Many high powered devices do exhibit that noise (mobo's. GPU's, PSU's). It does not, however, come from the caps but from the chokes (its those cube like things, usually black).

A choke is basicly a conductive (copper) wire coil around a ferrite core. New so called solid chokes are "sealed" in those square cases with some sort of glue or something. This "should" prevent the resonance of the core inside the choke which creates this high-pitch noise. It does not however help 100% of the time, and in your case, maybe the sealing got broken by the fall. While it does not effect electrical characteristics of your chokes, some of the chokes now may exhibit that noise cause of the the coil and core not being glued together anymore.

There is a trick that people do, to get them quite..Dunno if it works..

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/200...w-and-how-to-fix-it-no-more-gtx280-squealing/

they use nail polish to get it quite...maybe worth a read..

Also, these sounds can happen when the PSU is underpowered and cant hold up with the hardware..What amp´s u got on the 12v rail?

greetz BEta

9. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Thank You. But i have proper bios rom file (not hidden txt file anymore), and it's still don't work. On Win XP x64 SP2 is not working too, on Win7 x64 the same... I will wait for new version of nvflash or.... i will sell my GPU :3eyes:

10. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    I'm going to buy a stethoscope later today and really listen. There are cube shaped chokes on the backside of my PCB that don't have that black glue to seal them, six of them, I'll get a picture of the back of a 480. I have an Enermax 720W 56A amps on the 12V rails, I tried another PCI-E cable with no luck. You don't think I could be at the limit of my PSU with just my E6600 @ 3.2GHz 1.32v Vcore and my GTX 480 probably using at least 300 watts? My 12V Laing DDC 3.25 18W version uses 1.5 amps and six Gentle Typhoons 12V 0.083 amps, I think it's like you stated just a bad choke or chokes. My chokes are the sealed type, I'll have a look at the link you provided. Thanks BetA13

-Systemlord

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010

11. samtroy

samtroy Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 Ti 3GB
    @ BetA13:

Could you please set my minimum fan speed down to 30% ?

Thank you very very much!

12. Silviu

Silviu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI
    Here u go, remove .txt from file

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    No Problem...

Here we go..Fan min. speed set to 30%...

Greetz Beta

14. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    It was the chokes, the loudest of them all is the one closest to the mobo! That is the one I think I'm hearing the most, the others were just not loud enough to hear from any distance. I'm hoping for an RMA replacement, stethoscope worked out nicely!

-Systemlord

15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    told yaa....

Chokes are the ones that makes the buzzes when on high frames...
    Hopefully u get ur RMA and it works out for u, so u can enjoy ur GPU ;)

Keep us postet..

greetz Beta

16. samtroy

samtroy Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 780 Ti 3GB
    Thanks guys!! :cheers:

17. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    I wish companies like EVGA, Asus and MSI to name a few would customise their chokes by injecting some sort of resin coating that would prevent these buzzing noises altogether. I will keep you guys informed, oh yeah I won't forget to reflash my stock BIOS if RMA is approved.

-Systemlord

18. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    I just fitted an Accelero Xtreme Plus on my GTX 480 unlocked. Is overvoltage dangerous just if temperatures rise too high?

19. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    An unlock BIOS could see wattage of 300 watts, the cooler you have is designed to only handle 250 watts, so no don't do it!

http://www.guru3d.com/news/arctic-accelero-xtreme-plus-vga-cooler-released/

20. Venrad

Venrad New Member

GPU:
    GTX465 Gainward
    Hello,

Voila I am French thus forgiven I if you understand not my English:s

Thus Voila I tried with different program to change the % of the speed of ventilators on my GTX 465 Gainward, in 80C ° the ventilator is that is 55 %, I would thus like to know if it would be possible that you modify my BIOS to increase considerably the speed.

Apparently the speed of the ventilator of origin would not exceed the 70 % s

Thank you very much while waiting for!