New(to me!) EVGA GTS 250 1 Gig version OC questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Chum, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Chum

Chum Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTS 250
    It is still an upgrade from my old XFX 7900 GS.

Stock: core 675/shaders 1500/memory 900

I used EVGA Precision and gradually increased Core and Shaders to 750/1666
    and ran Furmark for about 20 mins. Card only got to 83c temp and no artifacts...I reset these to default and started tweaking the memory.
    I bumped memory to 1000 and had similar resuts, but when I put it to 1100 the desktop glitched out!
    Am I expecting too much with the memory? I read somewhere that the effective memory was 1800. Does this mean when I bumped it up to 1100 the effective memory went to 2200?

I have been "out of the loop" for a while...What is PhysX?

2. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    yup 2200 and memory always seems to be weaker on gpu's, it's real hit and miss with cards, some people can score mad high some can't get barely anywhere, whereas most gpu's clock to a rough average

3. Halli

Halli Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX465 Bios 470
    I have a GTS250 and It would Lock up if I changed Memory so just push the core a little
    and You really don't need to OC the card with your setup as comming from a 7900 this (G92) chip is a nice upgrade.

4. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    +1 ..

5. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    mine was the other way round.

I can hit a max of 725 on the gpu, 1550 on the shaders but my memory is happily running at 1200 (2400) xD

My 260 is about the same as well on the clocks

6. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Mine was well balanced, 836 Mhz on GPU, 1998Mhz on shaders and 1200 (2400) on memory, and max load temp at 60C° ! A pretty good and cheap card for casual gaming !

It seems you have a "green" version (underclocked/undervolted/cheaper memory), since the default frequencies for the normal version are 738/1836/1100. Don't be too demanding with this type of card especially overclocking wise.

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    When you buy the cheap no name brands you can't OC. Buy an Asus model and you can =)

I still don't know why peeps by those crap no name brands...

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    You have the "green" version as do I actually. I have the Asus GTS 250 WW (World Of Warcraft edition) and it was rated 675 core/1620 shader/2000 memory.

I can OC mine to a max of 750 core/ 1750 shader/ 2100 memory. This gives me around 15K in 3dmark06 -)

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    eVGA is a crap no name brand?? I`d take evga over asus any day of the week. although I prefer asus m/b`s. asus customer service leaves much to be desired. what the op has is a green low power 250 thats why it has lower stock gpu/shaders/memory

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Asus it top tier. The best of the best. How could you diss Asus other then there prices?

There were two brands I always supported. That being Asus and Abit. I also like Gigabyte athough I can never spell them LOL

Do you know the history of these company’s other then using Google?

MSI is another name I would recommend.

What you young guys don't take into effect is what is on the end of your nose. It isn't about life time warranties you only have to look at BFG for that. It is about what company will be here next year, and the year after that!

I want you to know this: I have never, not a single time ever, had to RMA a single PC part!! Guess what? I have been building PC's since 1996. Do you honestly think for a single second this was all coincidence?

Close is designed for horseshoes and hand grenades!

It is all about the name my friend...

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you do know bfg liquidated? You are lucky you have never had to rma an asus part. otherwise your tune would change. I`ve been building pc`s longer than you. you do know asus, evga etc doesnt make the cards right? all cards are made for nvidia in china. evga, bfg etc just slap a heatsink and fan on with their logo and what is most important is price and lifetime warranty in the end.

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Do you know about when a union strikes? You can never make up loss wages...

If you lose 200 in RMA you can never make that up no matter how much you try....

To the noobs:

Do not **** up a PC part ever. If you over volt it and **** it up you will never get a cheaper price. If you update BIOS and brick a motherboard, you are out 150 quid!

For us Canucks that means $150 bucks, and guess what? Our dollar is PAR to USA LOL

Do not volt mod **** all. Do you not all understand electronics? Electricity goes through that circuit board!

There is a reason why boards have a certain colour!!

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I have an electronics degree...

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Are you serious? Do not volt mod? lol I have been overclocking for years and years. as long as you do not go crazy volt wise and have adequate cooling, your hardware will be obselete long before you burn out a part. Also I have been updating m/b bios for years without bricking anything. my m/b has 2 bios chips so there is very little risk in doing something as minor as a bios update

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Electricity goes from A to B. If you adjust how fast A and B travels then you change what was designed. The circuit board is the ball park:

3 bases then home...

It always starts then ends right? If you over volt you are basically trying to hit a triple when it should have been a single! This is the reason why BFG dies because they said we will take RMA's for ever single moron that ****ed up our chips LOL

NVIDIA is going, OMG holly **** this is wild, let us make em ourselves..

The problem is, not NVIDIA, it is all the kids trying to make a $100 card run like a $300 card then RMAing it 6 months later because they can't play World Of War Craft LOL

16. Chum

Chum Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTS 250
    OP here: Thanks for all who answered! I know I got the "green" (cheaper version)...its ok! I will remain satisfied with my current OC, as I got it to at least the speeds of the "standard version".
    First off...I never volt mod anything! I also have been working with electronics for 32 years now. I work on copy machines which are extremely high tech nowadays, and have made enough blunders at work, so, I do not plan on messing up any of my own equipment!

One more question...
    I like running older benchmark programs so I can compare my upgrades to previous equipment...I have heard these "newer"(to me) Nvidia cards under clock when they are not running intensive 3D programs. Is there a way I can force max settings for older benchmark programs?

17. shadow19935

shadow19935 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 465
    Maybe because there isnt any real difference except from overclocking and Price ofc/

18. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    EVGA is a quality brand and most of the time EVGA cards overclock better than any others.

I can't get my ASUS cards to overclock their memory past 1950 on my 480's

Abit is dead and during late 90's and early 2000 Gigabyte nearly died as well.

Overclocking and overvolting is a massive part of the enthusiast PC community, you are only missing out if you want to be cautious about every little thing you do.

I've been overclocking for years and building systems longer than you and my hardware gets dated before it dies.

BFG had a rough year because they tried to branch out into other computer areas which they dropped a lot of money on and then nvidia didn't release any cards and BFG took a massive loss in sales since it was only NVIDIA based.

Company just picked the wrong time to spend it's money.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lmao. Really dude? You don't seem to know a whole lot about the PC graphics market. EVGA is Nvidia's #1 partner hands down. They sell the most Nvidia cards of anyone.

No name brand...just lol

20. traft

traft Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX 3080
    I got a BFG GTS250 before they were bought out and it's a pretty good overclocker, I just don't see point in overclocking right now since my current CPU can't keep up so I see no improvements when overclocked.

Default Core: 738 Shader: 1782 Memory: 1100
    Max Stable OC Core: 790 Shader: 1890 Memory: 1200

Through programs that stress just the GPU I can see the OC improvements but in games there is nothing. 1280x1024 res is my current LCD's native so I can't use higher res to get more out of the GPU.