Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by boodikon, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  2. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    The tech for the head tracking on the ps3 is a bit more crude that what track IR and those web cams\IR sensors provide. It doesnt provide and forward\backwards movements (like if you leaned forward) and is only limited to left and right ...basically the same as the left and right view buttons with more of an analog approach to how far it turns. The webcam probably will not work well under low light...but for $30 it seems like a fun little plug and play investment.

3. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well I already built the HTPC because the xbox and ps3 lacked in the organization department and they don't play .ogg files which is what my library is recorded in.

They are both great machines but I am really picky. As for my HTPC it is an Theraltake DH103 case, q9650, 8gb 1066 ddr2 ram, GTX 470, Asus P5Q Deluxe, 160gb raptor hdd for programs, 500gb hdd for files, 2tb hdd for dvr, 850w silverston modular psu, LG 10x bd-rw drive, windows 7, and a centon 4 turner cable card when it ships. So for me I will be getting rid of my dvr boxes so the need to build a htpc.

Now throw in that the wife has been wanting a Wii for years and I think it is worthless, the PS3 move is looking rather interesting to give her that and me gt5! :D!

As far as graphics go my htpc smokes the ps3 and f1 2010 looks epic, but I don't know when rfactor 2 will be released, and gtr2, race on / 07, nfs shift are boring. Shift is ok but just doesn't feel right.

To round out my living room madness I have a g27 with a playseat setup. That would be cool if M$ wasn't so stupid and had support for the g27 for forza I would just go that route. Oh and a pioneer vsx-1020k to kick sound out of my 5.1 surround sound set up I am spoiled! :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    I have a wii as well, woman and kids love it...yes ...they are stupid but it is what it is....so do what anyone would do in that situation....
    get on craigslist and buy a wii for practically nothing now...used ps3's are 150 and wii's are basically overclocked gamecubes and their defect rate is so low (combined with the fact that most people never used the wii much other than for parties me included)...used are the way to go.

Your HTPC is more of a gaming rig in your living room than what most consider an htpc ;-) Considering you spent more just for your graphics card than a ps3 costs lol.

5. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    you hit the nail on the head with that one lol. It is a gaming rig that does double duty as an htpc when my cable card ever ships. I watch blu-rays on it now and stream netflix for the time being. As for the used wii that is cool but it doesn't play gt5 so I think I will go the route of the ps3 since it has wii characteristics lol. So wife happy, party goers happy, and me spoiled. Now just the swolwing of the $500 with tax to get one. I looked for used ones on craigslist but they are all around $250 and up for the 160gb slim version so I will get the bundle for $400, then gt5 which should put me at around $500 with tax.

6. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    @ps eye

i don't really like the idea of head tracking. it's cool and nifty and all, but how uncomfortable would it be for your head looking at left/right but your eye is still looking forward!

i would welcome the idea of head tracking if my monitor is rigged so it follows where i look at. so i don't actually have to face left/right and still look forward. but i guess that would make it too expensive and complex, and not be priced at $30 :p

7. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    From what I know about track ir you can set it to be very subtle moves on your part. For instance you mover your head maybe an inch or a half an inch and that shows maybe a full 45 degrees of movement. For me I think track IR should be on the PS3 as well to boost sales.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    aaah, sweet, cheers mate!!! I'll re-install GTR2 today as my wheelstand pro is "out for delivery" right now yay so I'll give it a blast, thanks!

EDIT: just a quick update, got the stand today, took about 15 minutes to attach the wheel + pedals, there's hardly any putting together to do as it's all already assembled. all you have to do is attach the pedals and wheel to their bases and tidy up the cables and you're good to go.

I fired up GT5P and tried a challenge that used to annoy me (Class C, overtake all the cars in one lap in Integra Type R), could only ever get bronze on that, so I fired it up and after a few goes I nailed it. Not saying that the stand made me go faster, but it is just soo comfy when you can adjust it exactly to your liking!

All in all great product, doesn't fit under the bed folded but when GT5 comes out, I'll just leave it out anyway and if I want to put it away for a special occasion (ladies lol) or to put it away for a longer period of time, all I'll have to do is un-attach the wheel off of it's stand and that way it'll fit easily :)

Best bit is that right next to my chair I have a shelve so I can just have snacks and drinks lined up for easy access, bring on 5th of November!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Thanks for the review, i think i will order it sooner than later as i can see it selling really well come November 5th.

10. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
  12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nice one! Looks like everyone is lining up for the big release! :)

13. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    K well I just ordered my PS3 move bundle! Time to count down to gt5!

14. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Hell yeah! This is like my game of the year :D

Awesome Peerless

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Got my self a PS3 slim now just need the logitech wheel and a stand for November.

Which stand did you get eclap? Did it take long to get delivered?

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    wheelstand pro from here http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

Ordered it last week Friday, got shipped this Wednesday and got it on Friday. so it took a week (it ships from Poland).

make sure you order the correct one, as there is a couple of different versions.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Is anyone buying the collectors edition?

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm tempted... you getting it mate? got yourself a ps3 yet? I really want that apex magazine! if you're getting it, where from?

19. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I am on the fence and leaning towards the collectors edition just like eclap. I want the apex book. But is it worth the extra $40?

20. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.