which brand of GTX 470 for SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by khohne, Oct 5, 2010.

1. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    Ok im gonna upgrade my pc to Core i7 950, Rampage 3 Formula, 6 GB OCZ cas 8 ram 1600 MHz.

Now with the video cards 2 Geforce GTX 470's in SLI, i have decided to go for my firts preference in brand would be Asus the Evga problem is they are both (HEAPS) more expensive then brands like Galaxy, Palit, Inno3d

here is the Major diff in price we are talking

Asus $425 Aus
    Evga $399 Aus (per video card)
    Inno3d $374 Aus
    Palit $ 368 Aus
    Galaxy $352 Aus

see my delema in choosing a brand

as i said i would Love to have 2 Asus cards or evga secondly, i just cant justify hitting the buy button on them when i could get a galaxy and save $150 Aus just by getting a Galaxy and its the same card.

Pls help

2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    Hey khohne,

Dont know if you can get the "Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 SOC" but it runs quicker and cooler than the others, the only problem would be that it would dump more hot air inside the case, but if you have good ventilation then they are quieter and cooler then the others.

Not sure whether mixed branding makes a difference in SLI, but hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can come in and help you.

Here is the link if you want to check the Gigabyte.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-soc-review/

Cheers
    Andy

3. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    unfortunately i cannot get that card off the site im ordering off.

4. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    anybody?

5. rpps13

rpps13 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GB
    Well assuming all the cards follow the reference design, then it really doesn't matter which one you get, though with eVGA you might get longer lasting warranty than the others, so if they're all reference designs just get the Galaxy model and save yourself some money if you don't plan on keeping them for a long period of time (5 years or so)

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Evga was founded in 1999, Galaxy was established in 1994.
    Palit has been established in 1988.
    Inno3D started at 1990
    Asus started at 1989.

7. Phaetor

Phaetor Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX470 @ 770/1700
    Well all I can say is I'm very pleased with my twin Asus cards, nice packaging, long waranty and so forth.

But when i bought mine there was some promo on them and I payed the same price as the other brands.

Tbh they are all reference I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of this.. get the cheapest one and be done with it :D

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

What does this have to do with anything? Just because you've been in the business longer doesn't make you better. I would take an EVGA or ASUS card over an Inno3D or Galaxy card anyday.

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Really ? I would definitely take Galaxy/KFA2 one out of those.

Galaxy has been making quality gpu's quite long time.

Not saying any of those are bad, I just dont like Asus. I have been fine with some "cheap brands" also, example Sparkle GTX285's and Palit GTX260. Only one Nvidia card has failed, which was Leadtek A400GT 256mb (6800GT). Also have one BFG 8800GTX and one eVGA8800GTX, cant say anything bad about those, but is it worth paying 50-100€ more just to get "high-end" brand (non OC version) for normal use ? Perhaps those have 10years warranty, but who was going to use their gpu over 3years anyway ?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    People that don't have the money to upgrade all the time.

I still have a working GeForce 4 ti4400 that is still plugged in to my old Pentium 3.

11. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I have the Galaxy & it runs fairly cool, overclocks great & has a 3 year warranty. More than I really need, as I have never kept a card for more than 2 years.
    Save some dollars & get the Galaxy. Plus, it has a cool gray shroud, instead of the standard black ones. Kind of gives it a custom look.

12. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi,

Doing the same upgrade, but the odd thing is here in South Africa, the eVGA cards are the cheapest. The only problem is there is no stock until next week. eVGA offer many extras, and the 10 year guarantee is nice to have.

They also give you a code for Metro 2033

13. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    hmm i see....

well i belive they are all Reference cards so the difference is purely brand.

good thing is if i was to purchase any of these brands in a shop im looking at $550 to $600, so they way cheaper online

I was also thinking of Dual Palit GTX 460's Sonic Platinum Edition since they nearly match a 470 in performance, thing is there around $320 Aus Only $30 difference compared to the Galaxy GTX 470.....

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That promotion ended September 30th unfortunately, I got my code on the last day lol.

15. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    eVGA huh. The inno3d 470's are only 3300 or so from prophecy. Not too bad! i got my supplier to go down to 3500 on the MSI 470.

16. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Hi,

Prophecy have the eVGA for R3374, is there anything wrong with the eVGA card??

17. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

ive got a palit...reference..im in australia too and am noticing pritty high temps now its getting warmer outside..if i was you id grab the one with the best non-reference HSF on it..ya gonna need it..especially with SLI

18. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SOC
    i would take the eVGA over the Inno3D anyday. As for which is better its not much diff. They all get hot and loud with the reference cooler on them!