Nvidia 470 PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ethereal, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Well hi guys... The thing is, some weeks ago I bought an Nvidia 470... And at random times, when playing a game, the screen turns black (As if no signal was being sent), I hear sounds for a bit and then they just kinda crash... My CPU stays "on", yet it does nothing... I stopped having this problem when I unplugged some buggy CD drive so I thought it was a power problem, but then I had it again when playing Medal Of Honor... I have a 550watt PSU BUT I had to add extra pins so I could have enought pins to connect everything...

So... Any ideas on why this happens? I've seen lots of people with similar problems around the internet, yet they never get a clear answer... I don't think Ihave a bad card, it works fine most of the time, it's just like in certain random moments...

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What's the exact make and model of your power supply. You should never buy a high end card without a proper power supply that can handle it.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    It jsut says... MEga o.o.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=fuiarqtbb4ti70q&thumb=4

Hmm this could be the problem cause, since the PSU didn't have enough power pins and friend of mine did this:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=2jt0dnyn0klbx37&thumb=4

It could also be my crappy 5300 processor?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    You may have just answered your own question. The 470GTX needs a good stable power supply....especially during peak demand in games.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    But here's the weird thing... It had been running fine for like 3 weeks, I could run, say for example crysis full specs and it would be perfect...

**UPDATE: It started acting that way again when first palying Medal Of Honor... Now it won't even start NextGen games without crashing... NOT EVEN GETTING TO THE MENU?!

6. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    u need a good PSU for a decent grpahics card to work properly, i have learnt my lesson with this in the past, purchase a decent Zalmon PSU around the 750 Watt mark and that should help alot

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You might be cooking the card and other components by overstressing the power supply, quit trying to play games and get it replaced.

8. H4v0K_2010

H4v0K_2010 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX470 GD245HQ 24"
    Grab a corsair HX650W Pro, fairly cheap and powerful. rated 52a on the 12v rail which sounds like your problem, powers my 470 fine.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Damn :s, then it has to be the PSU... Quick question tho', is It possible that my card has suffered some kind of damage because of this situation???

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    There's always the chance of that with cheaper PSU's as the voltage can go haywire when they are over stressed.

Your PSU is the FIRST thing to think about when building a PC.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to the pic he posted, his PSU only has 18amp on a single 12v rail. He needs a better PSU.

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Mine done exactly the same...turned out to be my new Kingston RAM, it wouldn't agree with the timings I had manually set...screwing!

I put the timings on auto (aka piss poor) and it solved the problem.

13. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If the specs for your current PSU are correct...and I'm understanding them properly, you're 20amp short of what the GTX470 needs...which is 38amps on the 12v rails. According to the data sheet shot you posted, your PSU only provides 18amps on a single +12v rail.

Requirements
    Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)

Personally, I'd go for the OXZ GamerXstream 850watt. The specs for the "Coolmax 850w" don't add up. 3 +12v rails at 16amps and 1 +12v rail at 18amps doesn't make sense. I've never heard of A-Power....but I doubt it's very high quality considering the sub-$50 price tag for a new unit.

15. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I'll join the others saying you need a better PSU. Get a good branded PSU and you're good for years to come.

16. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

17. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I just don´t see a valid point on getting one of those, i´d rather get a decent PSU than that...
    Get a new PSU, but make sure it has enough power, and take OC also in consideration, as that card really sucks power.

Even my Chieftec 700w PSU ain´t good enough for my 470.

18. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Yup it's a PSU problem get the OCZ PSU you posted or any brands like Seasonic,PC power & Cooling,Corsair,Enermax are solid too

19. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  20. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW