ATi Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    rename the deadrising2.exe file to RE5DX9.EXE and try again...

2. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    No luck... BSOD again U_u

3. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Ya they broke Stalker COP too, at least for Quads anything over 10.5a wont load new or saved. Its not a big deal 10.5 does well enough but 10.9(a) worked great with everything else its just a shame to go back.

4. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Yes, I suppose you may be right on that. One experience I lack is any CF above the 3800 series. Since CF 3870's, I've had single cards. But my experience with CF was a great one. I had them since December 07, and with my quad 940 and PC1066 DDR @ 1120, I was getting 18k in 3Dmark06. Single cards were getting no where near there, and even in real gaming FPS, I was able to play any current game at 1920x1200, either no AA or 2x AA, 16x or 8x AF and v-sync depending on the game at hand. I was very impressed with the use I got out of them and their performance. I had a 790fx board from DFI and then Gigabyte during that time.

I guess I assumed that was the general way crossfire was for other people as well. I have seen many threads about CF issues, or dual GPU cards, stuttering and such, but I would sometimes attribute this to other things, mostly motherboard issues. There are so many things in a system, even software related that can cause stuttering. A lot of the times it can be traced to problems with the hard disk. Wrong set ups within windows, wrong partitioning, or they are coupled on the same channel causing it to slow up.

I guess I assumed as well that ATI would have improved a lot since December 07 when it came to their dual GPU cards since it was 3 generations of cards up to this point. If they want to really allow the market to embrace their eyefinity technology then they really need to figure out a way to get those dual GPU and CF cards out there to the mainstream and actually have them work.

I hope it all gets attention soon if thats the case, I don't see why they would have gone backwards with this unless it was to hit the market as early as they did.

It will be interesting to see what the results are with their new cards at the end of this year, they better hit a home run with their dual/CF support and offerings if they want to see frames suitable to run those extremely high resolutions. At 1920x1200, right now you can run everything maxed with a single card depending on the system its in.

5. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    Yes of course. For example I once had a stuttering problem in a game that was caused by having RivaTuner running in the background. But when you only change gfx driver version and things suddenly start working/gets broken I tend to rule out the other stuff. I simply can't believe how badly all 4800-series cards perform in SC2. They get completly slaughtered by cards they normally beat in any other game. The driver version I've tried are all the same. Not to mention all the bugs.

http://pctuning.tyden.cz/ilustrace3/Sulc/starcraft2/1920.png

I hope so too. They were pressed pretty hard by nVidia by the time they released the 4800-series so hopefully the 6800-series won't be as rushed. Either way, my next card will be a single one. Until they come up with a better solution than AFR I will stay on single GPUs.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You have a very similar setup to me and the game doesn't BSOD for me with CrossFireX enabled, although the game runs better with it disabled. I suggest you check your drivers first and make sure VC++ and DirectX are up to date.

Also you don't have Windows Live Essentials 2011 beta installed do you because after some recent Microsoft Windows Updates I've had to install it because the Windows Live Photo Gallery would totally freeze up my PC every time I used it to view pictures, requiring me to hold down the power button to turn it off. There was no error message or entry in the Event log for this either; the computer just completely froze and became none responsive. Not even Alt-Ctrl-Del would work. This issue was repeatable and since uninstalling said beta I've not experienced the issue. When a beta causes my machine to freeze with no error then I know it is time to remove it!!!

7. spyre

spyre Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6990 and 6970 TF
    AMD have fixed that in a future driver so you can quit being douchey about them never fixing things. If people report them properly then they will get fixed. Obviously things can take a while especially since the drivers you get are older than the ones that AMD are working on. The more detailed the bug report the better.
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/170/hawxdx10201009302343312.jpg
    Notice that Crossfire is working. Vsync + Triple buffering is enabled (since the FPS is 60 as you can see in the screenshot) via D3Doverrider.

As for some games not working IE9 beta breaks a few games from working (including GTA IV amongst others) so remove that if its installed.

8. Lodango

Lodango Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870 x2
    When will we see better drivers.. because i feel like smashin my 3870 x2 because of the terrible drivers... i've installed very many different recommanded drivers but they all seem to fail to give proper performance... I just wondering how there going to sell there 6870 x2 if they dont fix the issue with x2 Gpu cards because they seem to be the only affected cards with the terrible performance.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @spyre - ATI fix things and then break them in my experience. Sorry if you disagree but that's what I see.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 we all know about, much to their embarassment, but World in Conflict no longer works with the 10.9/10.9a drivers yet it's an AMD/ATI endorsed game. It has been confirmed by other users too. I have obviously reported the issue as I do with every one I find via the Catalyst Feed Form. Forced anti-aliasing is also broken in Star Wars: The Forced Unleashed and some Unreal Engine 3-based games too (confirmed by japamd) since 10.7, probably because they've changed the way the drivers work. OpenGL compatibility with older games such as Doom 3 has been a mess for a while, something I managed to resolve by placing a 10.4 Atioglxx.dll in the affected game folders (something that shouldn't need to be done IMO) and so on. CrossFireX performance/scaling and support in general is constantly disappointing, something touched upon in a Hard[OCP] feature with many recent games running worst on two GPUs than one. The Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands die-and-slowdown bug is STILL there despite me reporting it THREE times over the past three months! I could go on but I think you get the idea. ;)

It is my firm belief that ATI's monthly WHQL release program brings about many of these bugs and unresolved issues as they cannot possibly have time to thoroughly test them before shipping the next set off to Microsoft for certification.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  10. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    amd got a time machine now ?

11. Lodango

Lodango Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870 x2
    Hey guy's try the TWL Drivers, They may of dropped my Direct x 9 performance but it greatly stablized my Direct x10.1 and gave me a 10-30% performance increase. and i no longer dip down to 14-19 fps randomly any more either in Stalker Clear sky

12. Rotary8

Rotary8 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 680
    you guys think 10.9 beta drivers would work better?

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What irritates me about the weak CrossFireX support is that gamers who use multi-GPU setups are the very people who buy new games upon their release so they're not going to be content sat around waiting one to three months for ATI to support or fix those games. They want them ready for when the games are released or shortly after (say, within a week).

ATI have a Catalyst Application Profile that was (I assumed anyway) intended for quickly and painlessly adding CrossFireX support for new games without the need to update the driver itself yet they seldom release updates except when the monthly drivers are also unleashed or they have to address a bug (like they did with Battlefield Bad Company 2)!

What a waste!

A month (or two if the game misses the driver window) is just too damn long IMO to wait for support and I think this can only be addressed by ATI working more closely with the developers like NVIDIA do to ensure the games are properly supported before they're released. If a game cannot work with CrossFireX then disable it (like ATI did for Blur and BioShock 2 for example). With NVIDIA's drivers fixes are relatively quick through their beta program and SLI support can be added via profile updates or even edited manually (something you cannot do with ATI cards because their profile system is hopelessly outdated). :bang:

/moan over

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you are not moaning darren. its not too much to ask to get a working product is it ?

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Can't you select rendering methods used for X-fire via RP?
    I stayed away from X-fire for one reason, I had enough of tweaking SLI to work out with lot of games.
    The grass isn't really that much greener on the other side.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i tried it with dead space, it didnt work with that game.

17. phobus666

phobus666 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ SM P2450h
    You gotta try it out.
    For me they are good but my friend has better frame rate with 10.5a.

If you are having crashes try to disable "Steam Community in Game" via setting in Steam. It helped me.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm absolutely sure that is true.

I think I honestly made a huge mistake in going multi-GPU as I *knew* that I would have issues; that is what stopped me from even going SLI when I had NVIDIA cards. I'd hoped though that the technology and drivers would have improved to no longer be an issue. Also because I knew the HD 5870 was slower than the GTX 480 I originally had my eyes on, I thought CrossFireX would more than compensate for that.

How wrong I was.

It seems like ATI don't care that much about CrossFireX either because out of the last dozen games I've bought, only three work properly with two GPUs. Next time round I'm going to stick with a single GPU card, possibly an NVIDIA one, as I have previously. I owned an NVIDIA GTX 280 for 18 months and I could count the problems I had on the fingers of one hand and still have some free! With ATI I seem to spending more time getting the games working with CrossFireX than playing them. Well may not but it sure feels like that.

19. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Yeh that seperate application profile for crossfire users to update new games with crossfire profiles independant of main driver releases seems so ...so BS now :p ..i think i only recall once the app profile wasnt released along with the monthly driver release (10.6? and it came out like a day after the driver release because they forgot to turn on crossfire in bc2 :p)

20. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    relax...multi-gpu solution isn't so bad...only the 10% percent of all games all times out, have issues...i have install 60 games 'till now, and only 6 make me to disable catalyst A.I. that's not so bad...it just need some petience...the worst thing is that some games never get fixed...well, we can't do anything about it...

gpu companies, do not work only for making our lifes better...the opposite still remains...they also want us in bad mood, having in mind selling one or both cards and buy something else...they are "playing" with our money and mind...