Civilization V

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Feb 18, 2010.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´ve already downloaded Civ 5 demo 2 or 3 times but i can´t play because the game crashes the moment it starts...

Anyone else having this problem???

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Woo! Girlfriend bought it!

The combat system is so so so much better than 4's its uncanny. Combat is much simpler, and you can't just stack up 30 riflemen or whatever, it feels much more like you're moving units strategically, as a General, this time.

I also prefer the culture/purchasing of new tiles for cities. It makes cities much easier to build up, unlike civ 4, where you might have needed to wait for the borders to expand before a city really became useful.

I like that getting musketmen first give you a decisive advantage, but don't automatically make you kill everyone. There's much less of a jump from swordsman/longswordsman to musketmen.

As mentioned, new UI is awesome, I could do with slightly more information, which I think is available, I just haven't explored all the interface yet.

Also, the civilization traits seem uneven in some cases. Japan, for instance, all Military units fight at full strength, but Greece gets "City-state reputation degrades at half speed"? Hardly seems balanced.

Game is superb though, but it kind of falls into SC2's footsteps. It's very similar to Civ 4, though it changes enough to be its own game.

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    my copy should be here tomorrow and i don't think i'l lbe able to sleep tonight.

absolutely loved the demo, civ4 ranks high in my top 10 list of favorite games of all time but while Civ5 while gave up up on a few things it also improved on the formula and introduced great new features at least judging from the demo.

i forsee endless nights of no-sleep at least until Civ6 arrives, it's always the same.. a sip of rum (or grog) and one more turn. :nerd:

4. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    bought the game, but i dunno. civ 4 was a revolution because of one main thing. Leonard Nimoy. I honestly think the only way to make a game better then civ 4 is having morgan freeman as an anouncer.

i mean, Morgan Sheppard is good. but leonard nimoy was perfect.

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't think you realize how good Greece's special ability is, it basically gives you the same amount of city state allies for half the cost (even less if you do their quests), or twice as many for the same cost. You get so much culture, food (from maritime), and resources its not funny. It also helps when you become a huge empire and each additional city really lowers your happiness, having those extra allies can really make a difference in empire productivity.

6. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Does anyone else think this game is boring? It seems like one big waiting game until you get a huge empire going - and then you just kill off the AI one by one. Also, I have 3 GB of ram, a decent vid card and processor and the game just bogs down big time when the empires get bigger. I really don't see a hell of a lot of strategy to this game and can't imagine finding someone to play it online vs. for 6 hours. I never played Civ 4 though, so maybe I didn't know what I was getting into. I see a lot of bugs in the game - like I will order a unit to move multiple squares over several turns - and he either never moves or only moves part of the way throughout the turns. This pisses me off more than anything. Also, I wish when I was ordering units to attack I could que multiple units to attack once instead of waiting 1 by 1 for them to attack to order them. It would also be nice if I could select more than one unit at a time. I also hate it when units overlap and I can't see them. Also, the auto camera panning every fricken turn 1 million times per unit per turn gets unbelievably annoying. I don't know how you guys can sit there and enjoy that. This game was definitely not ready for release, and they were not lying when they barely had enough time to finish the demo. Also it is near impossible to maintain a large empire and grow it at the same time because the citizens will starve if you focus on gold, which you have to if you develop any decent army that requires gold maintenance. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance, but it seems like the game just takes too long so exploring every damn "strategy" in it is like counting the fat rolls on your mother in law.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    YES!!! @H83 - I have been having this problem since the moment I got the demo. I've also tried to run my brother's retail copy of the game (using his steam account on my computer) but have the exact same thing happen.

Every time I try to play it I get a black box and it crashes saying "Civ 5 has stopped working." I have been ripping my hair out trying to get it to work. Checking 2K's forums every hour or so to no avail.

H83, Let me know if you figure this problem out.

Oh, about the game. I don't have much good to say about steam right now, but my brother has been an avid Civ fanatic since Civ 3 and says that this is a great game. Hopefully I can second his opinion sometime soon.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If it's boring, then turn up the difficulty.

Most of the problems you mentioned, except the aesthetic ones, are caused by you not really knowing the game yet.

And the units stopping, I think that's caused by a worker or something moving over their final spot. It seems like if something is occupying their destination, they no longer want to move toward it.

9. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    It just seems like every upgrade-building-alliance is just a stat modifier, and I am playing the game to amass resources and fend off barbarian warriors spawning outside my base. It reminds me of what happened to starcraft 2 - it was turned into nothing but a resource whoring game that ultimately got boring. If you can honestly sit here and tell me that you'll be playing this game for as long as you've been playing Civ IV, I would not believe you or anyone for that matter. I also wouldn't believe anyone who claimed that about SC2.

10. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    ever here of big game hunters? Got its start in the original starcraft.

Have you even really played civ4? You can play civ 5 almost like you can play civ 4, like you can play civ 2, etc.

And seriously? you think sc2 and civ 5 are resource hording games? have you seen a high level game of either? because, if you have even watched 1 high level game of sc2 since release, (high level, meaning pro), i can tell you, that your wrong.

And if your complaining about just resource hording, then every rts and non tbs (turn based strategy) game out there has an economy (except the total war series), which needs managing. If your high on resources, your doing it wrong. (resources are what need to be spent in order to gain an army. If your high on resources, those resources could be army/upgrades, etc. which means you are weaker then your opponent who has spent all of his resources.)

Maybe strategy games aren't for you. I don't expect every one to be able to enjoy a strategy game, just like not every one likes chess.

And yes, i will be playing both games, civ 5 and sc2, for about 10+ years to come. or at least until their true "successor" has come out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

11. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    If I wanted a sequel to Command and Conquer 3, I would have waited - but I was expecting a starcraft where buildings wouldn't get immediately destroyed and carriers could not be teched to in less than 3 minutes.

I am a pretty good Warcraft 3 player, and to this day that remains one of my favorite games. What was done there is completely different than SC2, and much more strategic in my mind.

I guess to each their own and if someone likes SC2 or Civ 5 - so be it, but I'm not a big fan of click races in general, and that is my opinion of SC2 for sure.

Civ 5 isn't as much of a click race as it is a monotonous click intensive game. I still have to play the game on a hard difficulty, and maybe then I will see more to the game than just buying out city states and declaring victory.

12. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    For those that actually like the Civ series: How is the game and is it worth it?

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Just got the game and had my first ROFL moment.

Montezuma asks me to go to war together with......... Montezuma! :banana:
    So he's at war with himself? :nerd:

14. lickisg

lickisg Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI gtx 460 1gb 800/1880
    Ive played civilziation III, IV and V now that it was released today outside of America.

I can say civ with just 50 turns its a very rich, complete and overwhelming game in the good sense. I am kinda rusty since i did not play civ IV alot like i used to do with civ III. The graphics are pretty and run quite well maxed out dx 10/11 at 1680x1050 on my system. Gameplay wise its the same as civ 3 and 4 with enhanced stuff like better combat, diplomacy's, and cool stuff like having your city bomb out projectiles to barbarians in the borders, buying bigger borders boundaries with gold, etc.

I might finish my first normal play through with the japaneses by the end of the week and might post how it was, so far its been fun, alot of reading to get up to date with all the civilization modified related stuff. I recommend it if you liked civilization 3 or 4 in the past

15. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Best one yet. Lot's of bugs (reportedly). I've only had one so I guess I'm lucky. But in all fairness no one jumps on forums and goes "awesome, the game runs great and I don't have any bugs!". So over at the official 2K forums there's a lot of complaining, but this game has been selling like hotcakes on steam for over two weeks now. No bugs for me, fingers crossed. As for the gameplay, best in the series (but not without a few minor nit-picks though).

16. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I've been enjoying it a lot since the release here in the U.S.

I think I put around 20 hours or so into so far.

Completed one 330+ turn game on easiest difficulty and quick time to kind of learn all the new stuff.

I'll be playing again tonight for sure, I really like it!

17. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I ordered my copy from overstock.com the 19th and they're still "processing" the order...wtf?! Buttheads.

18. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    Great, tnx guys:) sounds awesome. I enjoyed previous Civ games but my biggest gripe of all the games were the stacks of doom:) so I really can't wait for this one:)

I would try the demo but there is a charm in buying a game, opening the box, reading the manual while it's installing and then seeing it for the first time:)

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I wish i could help you Builder, but i have no idea on why this is happening...

It´s like everybody can play this game but us...

Maybe some guru will help us with a solution...

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    fantastic game! been playing all day, definitely a lot better than Civ4 in many ways and the improvements are class, the graphics are great too, although i had a problem at first with the interface even though i played the demo but the tutorial took care of that.

had no stability issues at all, played 7 full games without a hitch, i think there was a couple of odd AI behaviour once in a while but nothing show breaking, so all good here.

DX9

[​IMG]

DX11

[​IMG]