Arcania Gothic 4 Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Con1750, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Con1750

Con1750 Guest

Any ATI users downloaded this demo yet? Getting Arcania has stopped working as soon as it is launched running catalyst 10.9?

thanks in advance :)

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    From where u downloaded it?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It uses the August 2009 DirectX and VC++ 2008 redists but bundles those as well so it should work, also uses PhysX (As did Gothic 3 to compare against sort of nothing.) but it does include a redist of that as well.

Works here with 10.9a and app profiles, posted some early images in the Arcania thread but didn't say much more, no issues with it though from what little I've played so it might be a redist issue, perhaps run the game as admin if you use UAC and make sure AV and similar isn't interfering with the game.

4. Con1750

Con1750 Guest

downloaded the game from gamershell 3D and yeah got physx installed, reinstalled everything included with the demo will try disabling my AV.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol they have a torrent tracker too but it sucks like hell, it started with 2kb/s.. im now downloading from their Russian server with 600kb/s, much better :nerd:

here is the link (1.7gb)
    http://www.gamershell.com/download_63874.shtml

i checked fileshack and big download but nothing yet.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    confirm that it's not working

7. Con1750

Con1750 Guest

Oh well at least it isnt an issue then possible that you can provide a link from where you downloaded so I can give it a go? thanks

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
  9. Con1750

Con1750 Guest

for anyone else having this issue, you need to change some sound options in control panel change your sound quality to 48000khz and it works :)

10. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    I got mines off Filefront. Installation went fine except the very end where it complained about something with the PhysX but other than that, launched the demo fine. Have all settings on High and playing at 1680x1050. Everything running smooth. Thought it was a pretty good demo. A lot better than Gothic 3 in terms of bugs or glitches. I think I will get this game. The thing that bugged me was the lip syncing. Guess it's following the German speech but whatever it is, the lip syncing sucks big time. Also during one of the dialogue scenes, an NPC walk right through my character. Talk about collision lol. I also found it annoying that when in block mode, your character cannot move around freely. Why must it be only rolling around? Also at the lakes/ponds(waterfall), why is there a limit that prevent your character from moving further in? Guess swimming is not included?

11. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Thanks for the heads up. Downloading right now, played all the Gothic's, so expectations are high. Hopefully I can run it with half decent graphics on my E6300.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  12. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Just finished the demo, was pretty short and despite some bad points i wanted to play more.

Good points
    -Graphics are mostly great, textures awesome
    -I didnt 'clip' through walls like i did in Gothic 3 so its actually playable
    -Easy to loot
    -Didn't appear to be any bugs really (Sometimes when going from game-play to chat with characters it went to a black screen and loaded slowly even on my SSDs)
    -More unique enemies encountered in the first 30 mins than Oblivion had in the entire game, almost

Fail Points
    -Story seems pretty average so far
    -Where the hell is the option for Anti Aliasing? I swear the textures also looked worse when i forced it from the control panel, maybe thats why
    -The voice acting is just terrible (The witch is so so bad lol)
    -Animation when talking to characters is crap
    -Sound is hit and miss, you can run and jump and you will make no noise hitting the ground, sometimes when you jump on rocks it sounds like jumping on a wooden floor
    -AI in battle is pretty stupid
    -Performance is so so, SLI didn't seem to help much even though both cards are at 95%+ GPU usage... I get 50+ FPS constant with sig rig with all the details maxed minus Post Processing
    -Terrain generally looks great but the ocean looks like crap imho

After playing the demo i want more, so i guess thats a good sign. I always wanted to play Gothic 3 but since i could walk through walls even when fully patched i couldn't, and i couldn't be bothered working out why that was tbh. Thinking of pre ordering it on steam.

13. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    game is crash at start up very odd ...
    i think it's related to dx or physx or something else i am very disappointing .

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So this isn't as bad as Risen or Two Worlds then? I never played Gothic 3 though but I understand it was very, very, very buggy.

15. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    What I don't like about the demo is

- invisible walls... even in land!

-no zoom camera control

-combat too easy even on hard, if the Gothic difficulty is just them taking more damage that won't make it better

-witch and ivy sound real bad

- it badly needs to tie crafting to anvils/stoves etc and leveling up to trainers

What I like!

-graphics mostly good apart from I can't get AA working. Models are nice and general geometry. Post processing is a little lacking when compared to Risen, Risen maxed looks better but at medium Arcania wins

- some voices are good including the hero which is the one you'll be hearing the most!

-sound and music is quite good

- story seems interesting bit hard to say from a demo

- enemy variety is good

- weapons and armor are cool

- magic seems to have function above just damage (eg stunning/slowing etc).

All in all I think I'll like the game when it comes out. Not gonna be as good as Risen or other Gothics maybe but it'll be good

16. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Understatement of the day.

I sold mine after a couple weeks, couldn't handle it. So far, 4 is okay.

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    tnx, i downloaded from gamershell but i got an error part3 is corrupt... i didn't bother trying it again; and now im maxing it out, 12min to go :D

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I downloaded Gothic 4 from GamersHell.com this morning, took about 30 minutes in all, and it unzipped and installed fine here. I unchecked the PhysX option though prior to installing it.

Only had time to have a very quick look at it but first impressions are that the graphics are good, although the lack of v-sync and AA options are very disappointing. Also I see that grass popping up distractingly as you run around is still an issue here. Performance seemed OK, started off a 90 fps (at this point I hadn't forced v-sync so it was tearing like a bitch... yuck!) and then dropped to 30 fps when I entered the village. The game defaulted to maximum options except for Shadows on High when I loaded it but I set them to Ultra so that might explain the low framerate. The menus and user interface look good and fairly polished. Will give it a proper play over the weekend but I have to say that it does look a lot like Risen.... and I hated that game (well the demo)...

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Isn't as bad as Risen? Risen is soo much better than Arcania. Arcania is more on par with Two Worlds, and actually has very similar gameplay.

20. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    As bad as risen?

That game was awesome , i enjoyed it all the way through