AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    just been playing worms had fraps running which showed 30fps with 4.21b shows 60fps with 10.5a installed weird that worms frame rates halfed with 4.21b drivers

2. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Triple Buffering.

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Best would be v4.21b in here. It would do better job on DX10 over the top build as the Final builds are using redirector for DirectX 10 and 11(in windowed mode).

The 4.70b will need a bit work. It will jump a bit as there's no processing fix like 4.20 there's none.

lol, these games runs like in 386 DX2. ;P

Who needs to end GPU driver to play Team 17 coding, lol ?

As for 'half' now that depends are the effects you are applying correctly applied. When they are not the higher limit of 60FPS hits in. In my drivers I
    will not go same path as AMD/ATI driver team. I know in every pass every single AA/AF effect are applied. In another words I don't cheat in effects.

Good example:

* v4.21a/b build > clean processing + Effects + Draw against any new v10.8/10.9 driver

Game Batman AA - Official:
    * Edge AA x4 + AF 16x(HQ) + VSYNC the effect speed will maintain in 60FPS = they are applying the effects incorrectly (+ they are utilizing DVA in rendering to cheap up the result and profiling that to gain speed) = there is no way in this world an single HD5850 will allow 60FPS, if the AF/AA are applied correctly.

Game Batman AA - v4.21a/b:
    * Edge AA x4 + AF 16x(HQ) + VSYNC the efffect speed will drop to 30FPS by VSYNC = I am applying the effects correctly AF & AA are applied with or without VSYNC and DVA will (hopefully) be not used as base to boost the gaming experience. FPS will even go slower because 12x AA + full truly applied AF are with you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    I don't know if it's the new clean up, these 4.21's or good old fashioned placebo but my desktop now feels more snappy and responsive.

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Played BF:BC2 a bit today with official 10.9a, the driver have no CFX flickering but a lot of fps drops, so your v1.08 is still the king for HD4xxx CFX.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, if your desktop has ActiveX components(Like Flash Gadgets) on previous build those were not cleaned. Now they are.

Other than that there's not really any 'new' entries our good old clean-up was up to perfection. (-1 MUI file, but I'll forgive myself on this one as it's only
    system language releated and under system language path). :pc1:

Yeah, there's till on HD4 CFX something really weird. I mean ATI build SPECIFICALLY for HD4 CFX builds v10.8b and v10.9a and neither of them
    works as supposed hell I've even seen some people reporting that it still doesn't scale and on 10.9a again we have another powerplay issue.

Looks like we are still stuck with 10.5a core, but then again good news is ATI haven't done anything to actual driver since part 6 months. So, that can be
    exactly as fast (hell even faster on some cases) than new 10.8/10.9 CCC editions. I think I just need to take the 10.5a back under microscope, but hell
    I though they fixed the 10.9a on this guess not then.

The flickering is process based and I think I know how to fix it while at it, but will not build drivers today have some other crap on my table.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD 5770 1 GB
    Hey all.
    This is the first time I heard of these TWL drivers.

Im wondering , I get slow fps on IL2 Sturmovik 1946(around 40 FPS , but when a bomb goes off, or something that makes smoke it will go down to 20 , but sometimes with alot of bombs/smoke to around 2FPS) , will these drivers fix that problem ?

I got a HD 5770 , and should be easily get more than 40 FPS on a 4 year old game.

If they dont do anything for that , then what do they do ?

Note* The game is OpenGL.
    I am also going to also try these Xtreme-G 10.8 drivers.
    Any comment on those ?

Thanks.

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Xtreme-G 10.8 is quite nice driver, but it won't help you, if current drivers will give a problem. Game is, if I understand Google correctly an DirectX 9 game. OpenGL?

anyway, if it's really an OpenGL game and current drivers brings problems I doubt that any of the current builds would help, but as far I checked AMD forums etc on v9.6 old CCC editions this game is really old so you might wanna try my 'OpenGL Switcher' from first page and test what the 10.4b 3.3 OGL patching would do or even the older OpenGL 3.2 (you can use that with any driver, but restoration will not restore back same OpenGL you had).

The good news is, if you can find an functional CCC edition you can copy those OpenGL DLL files directly in to the game binary folder (the place where game EXE is) the ATI OpenGL files and let your system use the 'new' OpenGL files.

9. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Afaik IL can both use DX and OGL.

10. slamdunk1973

slamdunk1973 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1gb VaporX
    installed the experimental "c" version last night and absoultely rock solid in BC2. FPS still 40+ even during busy scenes, GPU usage only 60% so going to up the AA and try HQ AF.

another great job by TWL.

11. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  13. hafiqb

hafiqb New Member

GPU:
    XFX8800GTX (625/1500/1000)
    Thanks to TwL for this driver set. Am using the set 4.7 for crossfire setup and I am really very happy with it.

This is after trying to finally upgrade from 10.5 to the newer sets using ATI's official drivers but really wasn't happy and now this. I have played so far Crysis, Dirt2, AvP, ME2 and I have to say that these drivers feel very smooth and fast compared to ATI's own.

Amazing that it takes someone who does not even wok for AMD/ATI to bring out a fantastic driver set.

14. sivis

sivis Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 (950 Mhz)
    Got a question here. I am on 1.8 right now. What is best build for SC2, BF:BC2 and some dx9 games like Mafia 2 and Dragon Age? Is it 4.70b or something else, maybe older? I've got not only 4870x2 but 2 monitors. I was always quite annoyed of how to interpretate x2 cards - as full CrossfireX or some kind of(Damn! I hate you, ATI software development team) ?
    Thanks in advance.

15. superkid.net

superkid.net New Member

GPU:
    mobility 5730
    hmm... will start it... But i posted it here so that it might help twl develop/mod drivers in future..(especially for mobility as they were better than 3.95)

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @superkid.net

First of I do not 'modify' official files like DNA does. Have set strict rule there that no files inside actual catalyst are to be modified in any shape or form from official files.
    Second I 'May include mobility support', I have stated hundred times here that none of the drivers are meant for mobility devices. Mobility chips cannot take it when true
    optimization when it's done and for third I do not use other people work to build drivers (exception of using official files which is also someones work).

I know the idea behind DNA and their style of tweaking is quite a bit different than mine. They do shader, texture and buffer modification, I don't. If you wish to tell me some
    drivers are better than mine then use them. I am very sure there's lots of 'better' drivers out there, but I still do the work as I see it the best.

@commonly

Perhaps, I should return to tweak the 'better' CCC instance and optimize that further. Just tested yesterday on the little older drivers and it would seem that they go much
    higher and more stable than any of the new ones. However, I will be trying to work with 10.9 WHQL even with the Overscan bug because actually 10.9 WHQL is whole another
    story than 10.9a.

17. VIPet

VIPet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-1024Mb
    That is, it is possible hopes, what switch-off of check of an adapter, will be, probably, is implemented in upcoming versions of your drivers?

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It will not be implemented on drivers. I do not do modifications on any of the driver packages to files.

If I can fix it, it will be provided as separated fix beside the driver.

19. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    when can we expect your new 4.2x build TwL?

Thanks your drivers are god sent!

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, it took me today 9 hours to run benchmarks of 9 different drivers against same base on system. So, as soon I get the full results and figure the
    configuration on processing in full I will update it. I am unsure of today as I am running out of smokes and that usually pisses me off. :3eyes:

I already did made quite an progress as for benchmarking (I mean now true compare with out profiles, any kind of none sense tweaks) as benchmarking
    takes incredible much time like decent hacking. I can see a bit light in end of the tunnel now as begin to little by little to
    understand more of the new drivers and what they are mixed from and how I can utilize them better. :pc1: :biggun:

-UPDATE-

Alright, found the solution in v4.20 and it will be updated, asap. It took one hell on an period to find it, but I finally managed to break the chain and drop
    an 1 second error correcting combination up here. Which no official nor mod will do This will also process clean in all sense so should be good.

Will take few hours max, but I am gonna test one more theory in here I have, if I could speed up the actual drawing little further on lowest drop there is under DirectX 11.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010