AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    kool will have to check out dragon age just been playing worms finsihed it today playing fallout 3 before that think iam gonna play mafia 2.

2. offmarsboy

offmarsboy Member

GPU:
    HD5850 @ 850/1200mhz
    hey twl the 4.2 looks to have some kind of incompatibility with fifa11 demo cause the game goes off by im self just with it

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not quite sure why and how, but somehow 4.20 looks better than 3.95 in Dx11, regarding moving graphics.
    Animations seem sharper too..
    Min. FPS is higher too

I had a horizontal line flickering in now and then with previous set, that one is gone now, but could have been an effect from the binged Adaptec controller as well.

4. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    Just to be sure, i've a single card, but a dual monitor configuration (but without using Eyefinity).

I'm doing the good thing using "the single card" driver, right ? I'm using 4.20 right now.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Gonna check Fifa 11 Demo, if it ain't some steam crap again.

Yep, still working on v4.20 it needs a bit update. Actually quite a bit as I originally was thinking it could be CrossfireX compatible also, but as history
    shows us it wasn't yet again possible. So, 4.20 needs some clean single card optimization using modules which are absolutely working for single cards only much faster/cleaner.

There's DirectX core driver switch coming to this build as patch and as v4.20a most likely today still as I was already yesterday testing new solutions
    to stabilize this version up better and I know now how I can find the right mods to complete it.

Well, the 4.70 would most likely be more compatible (of course this is clean guess) as display modules used are more stable there as for now. However,
    v4.20 "series" will be fastest possible driver you can install and specifically when I get it patched here to people and new build up on it. Needs few corrections in basic processing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. Hoodwink

Hoodwink Member

GPU:
    KFA2 780
    4.70b's are superb yet again, TwL.

I'm getting dancing black squares all over the screen initially with BFBC2 but I've had these symptoms before with official drivers/CAPs it settles down after a few minutes. Same performance as official 10.9a but with the trick INF's in place and more consistent 75-80fps area. Image quality really shows with this set. :thumbup:

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Dunno about black squares try clock down the card memory a bit and try with that. I think it at least have something to do with card memory. As for BF:BC2 we did test it against QuadFireX although on HD5 and seemed to work pretty well according to tester which I have no doubt on. QuadFireX was also overclocked so driver should allow pretty decent OC.

As for image quality general DX11 D3D there's something fishy about it ever since v10.8 WHQL. However, we are not utilizing these also there's something
    weird going on on display / multi-monitor modules which brings not that good quality after v10.8b5.

The thing is old modules were a lot slower(which we still are using), but in action in gaming they produce better looking graphics and AF seems working better than on the new ones.

Well no problems here I see. I am using v4.70a drivers now as I was just testing them and didn't switch them yet as I wanted to see, if I can crash
    them on some heavy gaming. I will install and check v4.20 now and see if those acts differently, but I doubt. Seems to stay on VSYNC absolutely clean 60 FPS.

Although, as for 'crash' we have to remember this title reads 'EA'. :)

8. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:
    TwL I'm loving the drivers and your new cleaner but I was wondering if there was any update on ATi fixing the OpenGL issues with older games like RTCW or is it still a case of manually swapping files?

9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Code:
    BF:BC2 FPS

genetix_hd34v108-x64
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
      9923,     60000, 137, 201, 165.383

genetix_eye470b-x64
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
      9823,     60000, 126, 201, 163.717
    genetix_hd34v108-x64 smooth, no screen flickering (black bars), no anormal fps drop.

genetix_eye470b-x64 smooth but random fps drop every few minutes (avg 45fps for 30s). some black bars every ~30 secondes.
    No trouble in L4D2 Source Engine. I'll revert to v108 because the fps drops are like in official 10.6-10.7 in BF:BC2. :bawl:

Thanks for the improved cleaner, I love it.

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    This still actually an problem?

Anyway, it'll work on 10.4b from OpenGL switcher still. Problem there is the Switcher doesn't restore correct files, but well the restored OpenGL files ain't exactly bad either.

I honestly suggest as there's rather few titles that you copy the needed DLL files to game folder and use old OpenGL that way.

This might be DirectX 10 issue in general, if that's an HD4 set. The 2 drivers you are comparing are totally different era. So, kinda hard to say there. I
    try'd to fix the incorrect drawing what ever there would be and smooth the v4.70b up as much as I could. Hell it's literally rolling on very very stable
    setup on below DirectX so shouldn't be much of an problem, but I believe that with these HD4 cards there's an extra bonus behind the setup which can only
    be changed with 1 file which can only be changed again while installing the driver itself.

Sadly this same file will not be compatible WITH HD4 and HD5 CrossfireX setups, lol. So, it's pretty curious thing. I do begin to believe there is an 'real'
    issue however there on 'black bars' or what ever some people mention here it is just damn sad I cannot see these by any means on my machine otherwise
    they would already be fixed.

-edit-

Perhaps on some point someone on HD4 CFX might MSN me and I could patch a bit his install see where the bug is I gotpretty good idea how and with what
    the HD4 cards works on DX10 threading, however, if I am up to build an another driver for HD3/4 CFX alone needs testing before it can be done.

11. colin87

colin87 Active Member

GPU:
    270x xfire
    Hi TwL, just a quick question, If you've explained this already, sorry, could you just point me to the correct page?

On the 470b build, you state "Application Profiles are corrected, but official is optional." What exactly are the issues related here? Did you fix them with custom profiles? Or is some still broken?

Anyhow, thanks for the drivers, will be testing them out tonight.

12. VIPet

VIPet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-1024Mb
    To TwL. I apologize for my bad English language. Has decided to connect the computer to the TV set. On a video card 2 outputs DVI, cord DVI-HDMI has bought, video on the TV set goes, the sound isn't present. There is a video card driver, checks presence firm ATI an adapter. On the Internet has read that it is possible to change the driver so that they didn't inspect, patchers for old versions of drivers to Catalist 9.9 exists, but for new drivers of such patches aren't present. As you well understand programming, not could prompt that it is possible to change in drivers that they didn't carry out check? Thousand owners of cards Radeon would be grateful to you. The link to a problem (language Russian).About the problem resolution by means of a patch for old drivers it is described from 25 pages.

13. troyus

troyus Member

GPU:
    5970 @ 950/1150
    your drivers do a good job of cleaning stuff out, but i loose my profiles settings when I use them.
    I have 2 diff eyefinity resolutions and the 3x single screen setup. Is there a way to save the profiles and hotkeys before I clean so i dont have to set all that up again?
    Cheers.

14. Czarnodziej

Czarnodziej Member

GPU:
    6950 SHADER MOD
    TwL you seriously should work for AMD. Quality of work you've been doing here is top notch.

15. Rootax

Rootax Member Guru

GPU:
    3090 MSI Suprim X
    Or AMD drivers team should work FOR him:hatty:

16. theironman12

theironman12 New Member

GPU:
    hrm got the black bars issue goin onyour new drivers 4 the eye build.
    Trifire 5970+5870 eyefininity. Tried several installs, same issue.

17. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForceā„¢ GTX 670 JS
    If AMD hires TwL and make him be the Leader of the Driver Team, we would able to enjoy Godlike Driver every month.
    Maybe we might have 5% Performance and Stability Improvement per month. Long term investment, it's crazy! LOL!

18. theironman12

theironman12 New Member

GPU:
    nevermind, the black border was gone when i changed the bezel resolution, the default was on 4800 by 900

19. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Hi TwL, I saw this in the release notes.
    + OpenGL 4.0 is now fully fixed to be near flawless on high overclocking Thanks to ATI latest.

I started having strange overclocking problems with official 10.9a.
    I described it here. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3711125&postcount=110
    Could it be because of this? Is it fixed in v4.20?

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Application profiles are official I don't do custom 'any files' even, if I could.

Well, best chance for functional old catalyst would be, if you know that for example v9.9 is good ? Have you tested with any of the old catalyst versions ?

I believe this might need old driver support as well as module support, but who knows.

Actually we can save them, but clean is clean. I was thinking here solutions and came up with idea that 'cleaner' could simply ask you "Do you wish to
    clean-up current application profiles?" Yes/No would probably be best idea.

Well, wouldn't mind couple testers and they sure as hell should loan me 2 HD4 CFX cards + 1x HD5970 so I could test HD4 CFX and HD5 TriFireX on second through and perhaps couple cores of HD6 would be nice also so I could see what's up there. :)

I doubt this would be true. They are improving a lot on new drivers and there's less broken features than 6 months ago.

Although, I still cannot figure how the hell they can make DX9 work on another releases and DX10-11 in another and cannot develop an
    "driver"(=now I mean real 'driver') out which could balance do both DX9-11 and try optimize that, but guess they are somehow thinking DX9 would
    somehow vanish somewhere. I got answer to that = MS-DOS is still here.

(WARNING Just bunch of crazy talk...) As an funny idea, if I would be so high level working with the AMD (Perhaps some high-level career hungry person might take a look at this ;P):

I would force them to take a look on subject 'Dedicated GPU Virtualization Market' and make all effort in the world(I mean spend the whole company, if they have to) to build an 100% co-operation with VMWARE or even better hire personal code teams and buy the correct rights to make that an new era true marketing. "You name it we run it, just tell us how many times. Hotkey switch Windows to Linux to Macintosh. Play your best DirectX 9 games in Windows 98 while you design on your high-end Macintosh or Windows 8 and dedicate an linux to run your high processing applications & web servers/databases." with dedicated license to Microsoft & patent before hand hidden on some codename. So, you could 'buy and system' upgrade directly from AMD internet/webstore as an HTTPS code directly inside the program for their VM and only that code signature systems would work. Where systems would have absolutely clean install, only 1 shiny AMD logo on corner of system & drivers & everything preinstalled where the installation package would simply be downloaded Virtual Machine hard drive image ready to go latest support updated monthly based to pre-made image.

Ok, missed the second post. So there really was an default in there. I wonder where the heck did that come from.

Sadly no. OpenGL driver in itself has nothing to do with this. This is an new driver bug created directly to core driver (Most likely because of
    non-reference high-clocked cards kept crashing on old modules which also allowed more overclocking). This is clean issue in "almost" any v10.8->10.9
    (exception of some 'betas'). If you see an 'OpenGL problem' that means it's drawn incorrectly or you see other weird graphical clitches (like using AA showing wireframe).