Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    They need to sell this game to the whole f*cking "Ex Box Three Sixty und Pi Es Three" generation which doesn't have a slightest clue of what's Duke and why he's so good. Hence some "mainstream" decisions. They just don't want boys and gals to get lost and confused in 10 weapons inventory. Hate this decision, however, considering what I saw at PAX, it somehow works since mobs are many and they carry different guns with them, so you can kill them and change weapons very often. What's for health regen, it's a so-called EGO system. Duke's ego going down when he's taking names, so he needs to kill mobs and smash things (destructible environment ftw) to regain it. It won't regenerate on its own. That's normal\hard difficulty level. On easy EGO regenerates automatically.

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, new shooters restrict you so much.

I miss the days of Half-life where you'd carry like 13 different guns at once lol. Was epic.

3. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I was just playing Half-life and I concur.

4. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i concur that its fun to have an armory on your back, but theres no telling whether the absence of one will feel restrictive or not until you're playing the game.

[​IMG]

(obligatory always bet on duke)

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
  6. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    there you have it... the most anticipated game of all time, ruined by the console gameplay... health regeneration and one primary and one secondary weapon at a time...
    preparing for console fanboy love....
    but hey, at least they will not switch game engine anytime soon

8. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

9. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    As sad as it seems, the truth behind it is there's more money to be made in console games, a lot more. This may not have been the case 13 years ago, but it is now.

I'm just happy the game is out of limbo, alive and well.

Oh, and for the record, the console versions are PORTS of the PC version. Which makes a very nice change.

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Exactly. It only uses the easy system for new console players..... that's it. If you want hard, you pick hard.

11. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice read! Good to hear it. That's pretty much what George Broussard told us last year - "3DR isn't gone but re-organized and is still working on game". Always bet on Duke, not his copycats! ;)

12. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    **** 3D Realms. I am glad they lost Duke, just so I can finally play a sequel.
    I am sure Gearbox will polish and get it ready for release in way less time it would have taken 3D Realms to do the same thing.
    High hopes for Duke too, as long at it sticks to the old school formula.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    http://kotaku.com/5630726/gearbox-software-now-owns-duke-nukems-future

Funny how me and my friend today (both big Duke fans) were talking about future Duke Nukem games. I figured as long as 3DR owns the rights and all that, Gearbox won't have a chance to screw the name up and release a crappy port.

Sad to say, what I feared earlier came quick. :( Duke Nukem is a PC game first and foremost. I'm a huge supporter of the PC gaming platform and this also taking a crap will be a huge loss in my eyes. Some may not feel as I do with it but to each his own I say.

On the other hand, maybe just maybe Gearbox will do what's right and either continue the legacy of Duke by being mainly for the PC or just let the franchise stop at DNF. (Highly unlikely)

I feel one of these coming in the future: :bang:

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well after 12 years they need to make money back period. after all the money was smoked up like weed. for all the bs this game went thru, i can hardly blame them for putting out for consoles, hell they might as put it out for macs and ipods and ps2 while they at it.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Despite generally being bored of first-person shooters (they all feel way too samey to me and multiplayer just bores me), I confess that I'm mildy excited about finally being able to play Duke Nukem Forever. I loved the earlier games, the main character and goofy humour. It was just so unserious compared to other games. Speaking of unserious... Serious Sam was the only other franchise that I can think of that attempted to copy Duke Nukem's style and that was another game I enjoyed too even if those games weren't as funny or as well designed as Duke 3D.

I'm under no illusion that DNF (not quite 'Did Not Finish' anymore!) will be a classic but I think it will be entertaining and a good laugh. Bring it on!

16. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    It ain't out yet. And really, what evidence do we have that it exists? Some screenshots, some video, a few announcements, and eyewitness testimony from maybe one or two thousand PAX attendees. Is that really enough? For any other game, sure, but were't talking about Duke Nukem Forever here. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence! :kermit:

17. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeash, Gearbox owns the rights... A perfect way to screw it all. But, as long as they keep Triptych on board, there's still hope. Let's see what they did with DNF first and mourn later.

18. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    never been so happy for a game :p

19. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    qft :)

20. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru