ATi Catalyst 10.8 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    Bingo!

2. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Just fired up the 10.8's....

Crossfire is completely disabled on my system now (Info>hardware in CCC shows Primary / Disabled).

I've clean uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen times thinking it was different things causing this, but no matter what I do it doesn't give me Crossfire tab in CCC.

Anyone have any hints to feex?

EDIT: Update: Just did a clean rollback to 10.5's and my crossfire is still broken (Primary / Disabled)... I'm baffled. Crossfire was working fine on 10.5's thirty minutes ago before I first tried to install the 10.8's...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

GPU:
    Fury Nitro
    I'll re-iterate:

I have installed 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 beta drivers multiple times. I've used the uninstall process including ATI crap cleaner each time. No matter what uninstall/install process I use, Crossfire is horrendously broken in Bad Company 2 and a few other games.

So much so that crossfire gives me half the performance of a single card.

When I install 10.5a, suddenly, magically and amazingly Crossfire fixes itself.

I have been through this process until my nuts ache, and the results are 100% consistent each time.

Now, I know that not every user has these issues, but a lot of people do. I'm a software test engineer but at the end of the day it doesn't take a genius to figure out that something was fundamentally changed in the 10.6 driver that affects many users crossfire functionality.

ATI are either ignoring pleas to fix, or genuinely cannot recreate. If it's the latter then they really need to avail of the services of users such as myself who can test their drivers in various crossfire configurations. How many problems would never see the light of day if there was a team of closed beta testers around the world using real rigs and able to test and report real problems BEFORE release?

The whole thing says to me that ATI don't take the quality of their drivers, or the loyalty of their high end customers as seriously as they ought to.

I honestly believe ATI need to re-think their current driver development/test strategy, it needs overhauled in a big way.

10.8 won't be going anywhere near my system until the full crossfire picture emerges, which usually takes a few days. I have to say, it's already looking pretty grim.

4. cuongblizzard

cuongblizzard New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5870
    I am using single XFX Radeon HD5870 and 10.8 is the best driver for me.

This is just my opinion.

First:
    4X AA works perfectly in Starcraft 2. Everything in SC2 with 4X AA looks clearer and sharper than previous driver. The most improvement is no lag, spike during big battles in SC2. Very smooth game-play in SC2 in my eyes.

Second:
    Catalyst 10.8 is the best driver which really support OpenCL 1.1.
    OpenCL is actually don't work with any Catalyst 10.7 driver.
    You guys who use OpenCL will realize this, so I don't have to show the proof.

Third:
    Better OpenGL performance. I usually use Google Sketchup wih 4X AA. I can see that I can rotate models faster and smoother.

I don't believe any FPS counting software imo. Furmark is a good example. A lot of lag and spike in Furmark during benchmark but the FPS display still over 60 FPS!!!
    I can see that Starcraft 2 runs very smooth on a Geforce 240M laptop with medium settings at 40 fps. And in the same scene, my HD5870 cannot run SC2 as smooth as Geforce 240M at 40 fps. I dont know what is the causes!!!

Anyway, FPS in 10.8 is really lower than previous drivers. It's true.
    However, I got smoother gameplay and image quality in my eyes. I don't want high FPS with lag and spike. That is the reason why I chose the Catalyst 10.8.

The Catalyst maker should release specific Catalyst driver for Dual GPU, Crossfire and single. They should learn that from TwL.

5. TERRMO

TERRMO New Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX460 1GB
    Other drivers but with the same problem with HD4870x2 ....
    I can not believe, that take so many drivers and not correct this bug ...
    It is incredible .....

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Member

GPU:
    2x Matrix Platinum 7970
    My mobility HD2600 sits now at 55-57ºc at idle (the same happened with 10.7), with 10.6 I have 40ºc... Didn't try the drivers on the HD5870...

Does anyone have the link to the 10.5a please?

Thanks

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    QFT

Couldnt have said it better my self, come on ATI what the hell is the driver team doing about the Crossfire issues since 10.5a! Seriously need seperate drivers or even driver teams for single and crossfire.

8. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    That's weird stuff... quite a temp jump. But here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-Hotfix.aspx

As for my situation, as far as I can tell, the 10.8's have broken crossfire on my system -- even after a rollback to 10.5a. Not sure what to do beyond reinstalling my OS =(

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Uninstall any Cat drivers you may have. Go to: ATI\something or another Cat 10.X\Packages\Apps\VC8RTx\vcredist_x. Use the correct version depending on your OS. Click on install.exe then choose to uninstall then reboot.

Then go to: ATI\something or another Cat 10.X\bin(your OS)\installmanagerapp.exe. Click on it and choose uninstall. If successful reboot again. Go to Display Adapter from Device manager and see if your video card reads Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (current cat drivers should have already been uninstalled). If not delete the 'ATI Radeon 5XXX..' device. Then right click on the Display Adapter and choose 'Scan for Hardware Changes'. Repeat as needed until you see Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Once done reboot. Next try to reinstall Cat 10.8. If you cannot do so go to: ATI\Support\10-8 (your OS)\Config\InstallManager.cfg
    Right click and edit InstallManager.cfg
    Go to workaroundinstall=false change it to true
    Save it and go back to C:\ATI\10-8 (your OS)\ and click on setup.exe

10. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    So anotner buggy driver from ati .. Uh ??

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes I did... and it still crashes with DX11 and CrossFireX. Not that I'm surprised as these drivers were with Microsoft getting WHQL certification when the Capcom sneaked out the Lost Planet 2 benchmark. Maybe ATI will release a hotfix driver for it?

12. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    So far not bad. PvZ is still broken as is the 2nd core 2D Speeds, but a quick hot with Rivatuner and a 10Mhz bump to both cores = full speed. So far in all my other games things are running smoothly and flawlessly. So these drivers have a little quirk here and there but if you do things right and with patience, you can make them work pretty darn good. You can't ask for perfection from any company with any drivers when they have to support so many products, on so many platforms, with such a random cluster of hardware. I agree it would be nice to see a separate branch break off at ATI and create a complete driver rebuild to the HD series cards but eh, we can hope.

Got a 5400 score in the FFXIV Benchmark (Fullscreen, Low Setting, 3Dmark06 exe rename (for CrossfireX) and 81FPS Average on my Dirt 2 benchmark (1680X1050, + DX10 Ultra hack).

Without the 10Mhz bump with the 2nd core stuck at 2D speeds the FFXIV Bench still produced a decient 4800 score.

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Yet another great set of drivers ! Keep up the good work amd and as usual I have no driver problems.

14. phatts420

phatts420 New Member

GPU:
    hd5450 sapphire
    hmmm crossfire probs an most seem to have intel based mobos...

mebe you should be tryin a mobo thats crossfired approved...ie made by amd...happened to notice most guys (complaining) from their specs ran icore so i assume they are not using amd chipsets/mobos mebe therein lies your issue...amd an intel have never really played fair when it comes to each other and hardware...an gj driver team last 2 updates have had some great additions/fixes..btw look in the inf file theres a peek at upcoming gpu codenames (hd6000's) :)

15. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    10.7/stream2.1 vs 10.8/stream 2.2

(all done at 1280x1024 - love my 19"PVA 970p:D)

crysis: very high, dx 10, 64bit, no AA
    min 29.71/29.98
    avg 50.52/50.77
    max 71.95/73.38

DIRT 2, all maxed out, msaa 4x (two runs)

avg 80.6/82.4...82.4/79.7
    min 68.7/68.1...68.3/68.0

LP2, test A, all maxed out, 8msaa

avg 35.1/41.6

no other issues detected. (when in overdrive 400/1200 idle clock is still here)

16. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    all good here :)

17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I would certainly like to join such a test team... but... can people not do this with the beta drivers? I've never used them myself but there must be some sort of feedback mechanism if they release beta versions of the drivers??

18. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    hmmm.... Strange how many people have CFX issues with these. In my case (5970+5850 CFx'ed) they work splendidly, and load is distributed evenly (according to afterburners OSD).

//Svein

19. forlanshair

forlanshair Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5970
    Anyone happen to know if these new drivers support Direct2D acceleration found in the newest Firefox beta?

20. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    10.8's work beautifully for me. Had some issues installing it (windows wouldn't book for some weird reason...which I sort of want to attribute to the ATI crap cleaner) but managed to fix it. Pretty much 60fps constant in Mafia 2 with physx off.