Is this the future of mobile phone gaming...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Thug, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Nifty i must say but im such a sad old fashioned git that i use my phone only for calls and the odd text here and there :p

3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Personally I couldn't care less for games on phones, I'm like Repo Man in this case :p

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Same, even if you had Crysis like graphics on a phone, how will you play it? No mouse or keyboard.

I tried Doom on several phones before, it was a NIGHTMARE to control and it was deleted soon after it was installed.

There is no way to play games comfortably on phones, especially fps's...

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well you are quickly becoming the minority my good man.

This will be a nice pat on the back for Apple.. which is not surprising really, the Iphone is a pretty fast device. Not one bit shocked that it could render this kind of quality.

Either way though this is a nice outlook towards where phone games will be going in the not so distant future.

Like it or not, a big chunk of the gaming industry is now moving toward mobile gaming and for good reason. Much like a computer, everyone nowadays has a smartphone!

6. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You have to move with the times or you will become out of date and static.
    Its like saying that LP records still have a better sound than CD/MP3 etc.

I too dont play that many games on my phone, and the ones i do play dont really push the phone to its limits, but its still good to see what its capable of.
    I dont use my phone for many calls or texts either, its mainly used as a media device and a few apps and games.

7. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Yea I agree that you have to go with the times, but playing on such a small screen isn't just that awesome in my opinion.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    +1 And what about the controls, mouse, keyboard?

9. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Yes, how 'bout them controls...

I've played the CoD World at War Zombies on an iphone and didn't like the controls. The graphics were pretty good though, like a PSP.

10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    [sarcasm] wow a fps on a 3.5" screen [/sarcasm]

11. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This is just the beginning, the future phones will probably have better controls.

In fact have you ever used the virtua joystick on the iPhone?
    Its not perfect, but not too bad either, and no worse than using a gaming pad.
    Have a go of Modern Combat: Sandstorm on the iPhone (there is a free version) to test it out. Its like CoD, and now even has MP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecKNV0oC2nc

They can quite easily bring out a proper joystick on the phone, like some of the Nokia had.
    Its not all about first person shooters either. this could be quite a good adventure game.
    I dare say that they would be made to suit a small screen and phone.

You view a SatNav on a small screen or play a DS PSP, so why not on a phone?

This is just the start, and the next generation of mobile gaming, so give it chance.

12. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Mobile devices can be suitable for casual gaming at its best. Nothing can replace PC gaming.

13. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Lol, of course not, that goes without saying.

I will mess around with it if sat waiting in the car for the wife whilst she is shopping, i wouldnt even dream of join claning or play Crysis on it for several hours solid.

14. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    I don't remember iPhone WaW Zombies having joystick tilt. Might have to put it back on.
    I'll check out Modern Combat.
    Still, battery consumption is gonna be worrisome for iPhone owners.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I think you're missing the point here.. obviously you can't compare a pc and a tiny little handheld.. why would you even bother to try?

16. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    phones are ok for quick games, but just like most apps they are usually used to show others how good your device is..

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    The only games I enjoy playing on my phone are games such as monopoly, chess, puzzle games as their easy to control...

I tried quake/doom but controls were a nightmare...

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, my Galaxy S runs Quake 3 Arena maxed smoothly. It's impossible to play it without keyboards + mouse, though. I don't play much, Asphalt 5 (free download) and Tux racer (free, obviously) are enough for me.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I never tried Quake 3, but I'd LOVE to see how it looks on a phone!

I still play it on my pc from time to time, great game...

But yeah, hard to play a fps like quake 3 without a keyboard and mouse...

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Carmack is a damn genius if you ask me. Yeah some people dont like him because his a little arrogant (apparently?) but he has all the right to be. If his team, and him self, can do something like this then I bow down to them.

I do not care if it plays crap, the sheer technical achievement is enough to win me over!

Like Doom 3 was such a big leap forward in terms of graphics. I adore that game for it, but the gameplay was boring. Same goes for Crysis games, we love them for their technical prowess not the way they play.

I just hope that the Tech5 engine powering Rage will be optimised to run on a lot of hardware, and not be some kind of monster like Crysis was to run on even the most extreme of rigs.

EDIT:

I simply do not think this is a "look at this great game coming to phones" moment, its more like "look at how damn great we are, and look what our engine can achieve with really low end hardware" moment!