How to lose weight?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by crushilista, Aug 16, 2010.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Perfect question for a hardware forum I believe.

How do you guys stay in shape when a lot of your time is stationary? I'm managing to stay at the same weight, but I want to drop from 276.

2. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I don't eat desert, I don't go to McDonald, I eat veggies, fruits and lots of protein (I don't eat a lot of meat at all, I find my protein somewhere else). It is best to eat multiple small meals than 3 bigggg meals.

Run 6 miles (10km) everyday.

You also need a good amount of sleep, around 8 hours a day.

Don't drink or eat stuff with too much sugar. Such as soda or energy drinks.

Most of the times you are tired during exercises, it's only in your head. Keep going and don't stop.

Keep a constant schedule, don't tell yourself, ahh nah I'll skip today. ah nah ill do it tomorrow instead... You will never do it, it's what the lazy people say.

You need to burn calories. If you eat so much crap and never do exercise, it will never happen.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Dead easy
    Let your stomach empty before you let yourself eat.
    If you still find yourself in the kitchen, make a coffee without sugar, not really strong.
    Do this as many times as necessary (seriously), caffeine will help keep you motivated to do stuff.
    (unless you have a problem with caffeine, then try some other drink that isnt sweetened, soz)

It takes a short while to get used to the emptier feeling and that is crucial.
    You must let that feeling happen.
    Once you do, it will be like your feeling of pride.
    Then you can back off the coffees.
    Dont forget to do some exercise to keep some muscle tone.

Or jump off a mountain, you'll feel lighter.

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Sport, and you'll be happy

5. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    GET YOUR ARSE TO A GYM!

Is the short answer, but my sister lost about 8 stone in weight through WeightWatchers!

6. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Take up a sport, join a gym or take up a martial art..

I do Lau Gar kickboxing and am much better for it, the fitness training is intense and the technique work almost as tiring then then sparring at the end is where you have to literally keep fighting through the fatigue..

Granted I am only Lightweight (155 lbs) however that doesn't mean I'm fit or was before, it really does help to have a regular fitness activity or regime to stick to. Also with martial arts you learn to defend yourself whilst doing it and also with any sport you'll meet new people and make new friends at the same time - all will be great at motivating you to push harder :)

HyBrId

7. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Vomit.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, doesn't have to be anything intense, mine is just the 20-30min walk to work.

Also try to avoid eating late at night, this one i find especially difficult, especially if im on the PC.

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I would, but sadly I have no money in order to do such.

+1

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I think I would contemplate self harm if I had to run 6 miles a day. Does that really help?

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Bulimia!

Twice the food, No calroies! ;)

12. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    A bunch of helium balloons should do the trick. Losing body mass is a wee-bit more complicated.

13. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I cut out all sugar, don't drink sugary drinks or eat sweets. Other than that I just eat sensibly 3 times a day and do some weights every 2nd day. Never have desserts either.

Have the odd pizza or something fatty every now and then for a treat. Also started cutting out meat in some dishes and do stir fries with lots of veg and beans instead.

Works for me.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I dropped sugar filled cereal in the morning for egg whites/oatmeal. I dropped... 25 pounds (190 right now)? I wasnt even overweight to begin with. I'd have to disagree with letting yourself go hungry. Thats supposed to let your metabolism slow down. The best diet is to eat 5-6 small portions of healthy food a day. Healthy things like... chicken breast or what not. Letting yourself NOT go hungry burns MORE calories than letting yourself go hungry. Oh, and when your face to face with a coke, pass it up and go get a diet. It really does help more than you can imagen.

My current addiction = water... try it :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  15. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Eat less, move more.

16. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Of course it helps. Exercise burns calories. You wouldn't go from doing no running, to 10km a day, that would do your body serious harm. You would start small by running/walking a few km and work your way up gradually. The trick about exercise is that after a month of sticking to a regular schedule you will start looking forward to it, not dreading it. It not only makes you feel great physically but it drastically improves your mental outlook on life. If I go through a period of no exercise I feel terrible, put on weight, and start eating crap. When I'm regularly exercising it reverses all of that and makes living a healthy lifestyle so much easier.

At the moment I run 8-10km 3 or 4 times a week depending on what I've got on and that is enough to keep me feeling great. I'm not super-fit or skinny either, but I like to think I lead a mostly well balanced lifestyle with the exception of probably drinking too much. I never touch soft drinks because if I want to drink calories I will do so with beer or wine, I rarely eat stuff like McDonalds (but do sometimes eat high quality gourmet burgers from local places), I eat 2 pieces of fresh fruit a day and when I cook dinner I normally always fit 3 servings of vegetables in.

+1 for running and a generally healthy diet. Does wonders for your weight, energy and mental health.

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    speed

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    So what should I start at you think? +1 for mental health, I could always use some.

19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Running isnt necessarily good either... Can be really damaging to your knees. I'm not saying its bad and you shouldnt run, I'm just saying its not the best idea. I know you said you cant get to a gym but that would really be the best thing. Weight training burns so many caloires while you are lifting and while you are sitting. Kind of like having a V8... you burn more gas when you idle.

20. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Seconded