"PC Gaming Market Not Doomed" - id Software

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Actually the 8800GTX is older than the ps3.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Both got released in the same year, the PS3 was designed with the ''old'' gtx 7800 since they couldn't have redone the whole architecture because a new card came out.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is someone actually playing that game? Interesting...

4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It was supposed to be a sort of successor to SS2, but it was severely dumbed down. One can see not only that the game design suffered but also you see on the hud that it made for the consoles first, how the controls feel, how they botched widescreen... the fact that you have an arrow all the time telling where to go, how much easier the game has been made in general etc..

Fear 2 too is another game which is more 'console' than it's predecessor.

Again..in sales. Which is why consoles are prioritized.

5. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    double post

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    PC gaming is not dead but seriously ill and we all know that!

A lot of games are console ports, in terms of graphics and even worse in terms of gameplay, ruining a lot of games!!!

And the success of WoW and SC2, for me, are just another nail in the coffin, because they don´t have an ounce of innovation in it and they only sell because of hype, just like in console games.

But maybe the future is bright, with game makers creating advanced game engines that cater to different platforms, like Cryengine3, instead of just porting games, maybe there could be a comeback for PC gaming.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Why do we need another PC gaming is doomed thread? I used to like reading these, but now it's just like riding a mechanical horse at the local Wal-Mart 700 times.

8. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    +1 that's me right there...

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    And then complain when companies want 24/7 internet connections for those single player games.

Thanks for making it suck for the rest of us.

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    +1 that's us right there....

11. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I admit I have not really purchased any mainly SP games since Quake. Once I got online I was hooked forever and SP was a joke since.

Always said to stop piracy for the most part should release MP games built around strong communities, mods and competition.

Although I have not pirated much if any at all in the last five years when I decided to stop contributing to the decline in PC gaming... anyway most of the stuff is not even worth the bandwidth.

12. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Console gaming = PC gaming lite

But console can simply do things that PC gaming cannot, having a standardized hardware setup which the developers know exactly what it's and is not capable of. This makes optimizations easier, than to say optimize it from GF6xxx serie all the way up to GF2xx.
    Combined with programmers that are either lazy or staring at a dead line their published stuffed under their nose, and you got yourself a GTA title.

13. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850

I,m an online only player also , Shooters like , quake -quake 2 -quake 3 -quake 4-UT -UT2003-UT2004-UT3

What made these games Great was that they were made for the PC , Had dedicated servers , Mod support and you could tweak them to your heart desires:p Most of them still have a strong comunity servers mods etc etc

Only 2 that disappointed in this list was quake 4 and UT3 and thats because they was a multi platforum or a complete console port and you could see it and feel it in game , They completely Fooked 2 great franchises in one small swoop lol

quake 4 was great after a few patches and the mod comunity fixed it but looks like it was too little too late , Its a shame becouse quake 4 rail only freeze tag was a blast

UT3 not sure if it well ever be fixed lol

14. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    i complained about 24/7 access?

I have bought a lot of games, the ones i play through i would buy.

Copies i bothered with i have the game preordered but it is released state side first, gives me time to have a look at the sp before going on the mp, but even then i usually get bored with the sp, they are just boring.

My personal opinion is people that pirate wouldn't buy the game anyway or in my case are getting it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  15. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    fixed

pathetic excuse for piracy is pathetic...

16. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    So you somehow don't think games are developed for console gamers tastes, console hardware, and console controls? Regardless if they are ported to PC, they are console games. Maybe you just like console games? No shame in that.
    You obviously don't know what opinion means, so the argument is entirely moot.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    consoles were nice when they started you could hook them up to any tv plug in 2 controllers and 4 or so with aftermarket add ons and have a few friends over and play games together.

pcs back on those days were limited to crt monitors that were smaller than standard tvs and larger ones were hideously expensive. multiple controllers were almost a no no, you could find some that would hook up into each other so you could run at lest 2 and play some sport games like you could a console.

now days with usb you can run multiple controllers fairly easy, with lcd and plasma hd tvs and large pc monitors you can hook your pc into any modern tv in any living room if you want. we got wirelss and blu tooth controllers with a few extra bucks wireless mice and keyboards, so if we want to run our pc in our living room and play the limited sports games you can find, thank you 2k sports, you could play with friends that come over or play on the internet with people.

modern day pcs are as versatile as their console cousins, there is little or no reason other than some lack of social living room games that a pc cannot be used like a console if you choose and invest some money.

cloud based gaming, the great equalizer, supposedly near piracy proof, no need for investing in expensive hardware to run games since they will be streamed to your pc while running on a computer elsewhere, supposedly it might even allow any console game to be played reguardless of what box it shows up on. many devs have actively started to talk about this new miracle of gaming and even some long time console supporters have even started to turn their back on the consoles they have spent their lives developing for with the promise if this tech.

but is cloud really the savior of the pc? i think that remains to be seen. on paper it looks like the thing that could kill consoles and lift pcs to the forefront, but rumblings is that many forms of internet are not sufficient to handle the bandwidth that cloud would require for a seamless gaming experience. would we want to play could based games if they were constanly hitching and queing? or if control latency was ever present?

either way maybe in 5 or 10 years with fiber optic networks and and lower broadband costs possibly, maybe cloud will be the end all be all of gaming soon, and really spike consoles into the ground and lift pcs up, which seems to be what many devs have been shying toward.

pc will not die tho either way some games you cannot do on consoles period. like many of the better rts games, sim games like arma and such. consoles just do not have the level of commands and control for these games, hence why most console rts feel dumbed down. and real hardcore sims are few and far between on consoles, not only for the lack of control but for the general disposition of the console crowd, vs the generally older and more diverse pc crowd.

18. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    What are you talking? You don't know what's happening now, it's real sh!t.
    With standartized devices we never get the progress, with this tendency we never get DX11 and tesselation
    Consoles are forcibly imposed and promoted project, which pulls the game industry down.

19. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Well, I don't know if you're aware of that, but the PSX (not the PSOne) was released in late '94 in Japan and late '95 everywhere else. All the games you mentioned came out afterwards (God, I loved the first UT).

20. TriGGlety

TriGGlety Banned

GPU:
    HD6870 1G -(1680x1050)
    Years ago, 250,000 people bought Far Cry 2, but, yet!, 750,000 people downloaded the patch for it. Lolz.