"PC Gaming Market Not Doomed" - id Software

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SiriusTexra

SiriusTexra Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 512MB
    Can a console run 3dsmax, photoshop, zbrush, flash pro and maya? Does a console run on a QUADRO server stack that is specifically engineered by a company whos hardware evolves based on what PC gamers do and continue to do, allowing game makers to make their games with the workflow and speed therefore quality and budget they do?

The tech the game makers uses, exists, because of pc gaming, and will only continue to evolve, via the demand for hardware, in the PC market, because the mass pumping out of different technologies in it's different forms, creates it's very own form of tech natural selection.

Graphics took a leap ONLY when crysis showed everyone how to do things, like AO etc.

What hardware makes games?

PC's.

PC gaming cannot and will not die. In the not too distant futures, the PC will become THE personal computer, as in, there won't be any consoles. The idea of separating your customer to several different hardware mechanisms, instead of keeping them at the one, where all their social media, music, files, Internets are at, is ****ing dumb.

What's the one thing everyone in the western world owns these days. Yeah.
    '
    For gaming to take it's next step, the console HAS to be phased out. This is what I don't understand from the devs and big movers. Driver issues these days are few and far between, everyone these days has at least a 7600 level gfx card at LEAST in their custom or pre built machines, on average.

How do they not see the fall of the console coming?

The PC will get smaller, more portable, more interactive, and become the one true platform. It'll be your tv, your internet, your radio, your grocery store.

I think I'll own the thing that MAKES games, as well as play them, the platform that has all my entertainment and business in one place. kthxbai end of story.

2. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Why even bother? I've been down that road, and there is absolutely no point in trying to change anyone's mind about anything on the internet. It will never work regardless of how many facts are thrown into the discussion. Your "facts" aren't facts anyhow, you can't say PC has better multiplatform and exclusive games, or has better gameplay; those are opinions.

It's my opinion that nearly all modern gaming is crap, and you can't disprove that anymore than I can disprove your opinions. So I'll just call it a wash. :)

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    pc gaming market not DOOMed....pc gaming market is QUAKEd. :D

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Surely though, the people playing WoW hardcore are not playing/buying other games anyway. So i don't think the argument is entirely valid.

When you're playing WoW 12 hours a day, when do you play anything else?

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    most wow players dont play 12 hours a day lol... i myself played wow during last 2years (got bored now) i played so many other games, altho my multiplayer experience was limited to wow, css, aoe3 and bfbc2 beta a few hours.

PC gaming its actually more expensive than consoles, thats why *casual gamers* dont game on it. Cmon bull****, cards releasing one generation per year which makes you change card. With developers leaving old cards optimization. Also because there is too many scam and crap with GPU/CPU developers and shops, depending of where you buy and what you buy, you can get like triple performance than a "noob" on PCs for the same price. I think that ATI/NV should go one main-stream big cardwhich gets updated each 3 years and game developers get forced to optimize for it, but that newer games dont work on the old one. Something like consoles. That said by me, i mostly buy 100€ cards , topping on 200-240€ sometimes (almost never D:!), and its not bcs of no money.

Also the crap about "exclusives" its because PC gamers KNOW which good games are on console. But most console gamers are just, uh? borderlands? whats that?, witcher? is that some dumb-down version of our film-of-war-3 uh?, they just go to the shop and find whatever it seems better or has more marketing (call of sucky 6). But they care 0 about what they cannot see. Like an spanish proverb says, "eyes that dont see, hearth that doesnt suffer" (crappy translation).

7. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Domestically translated... ignorance is bliss. :p

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I'm not going to try to whitewash it. I play console games on the PC.
    Bioshock is a console game which also came to the PC as are many others.

Had it been developed 10 years ago it might have looked and played more like System Shock 2 because it would have been specifically made for the PCs.

9. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Finally someone that makes some sense!

Of course I do my best to avoid such games, IE: all games.

10. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    It's getting old when you keep hearing the same thing since the PSX days... *yawn*

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    They talked about the 12 PSX ports in France like they were a big deal or something? I don't recall hearing a single meaningful thing about ports until the XBOX made em so popular.

If your post was in regards to something else, by all means ignore.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have both a pc and a ps3.

I only use my ps3 for watching blu ray and playing wrestling because unfortunately no one releases smackdown for pc!!!!

13. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    *Stares at avatar above*

*Forgets what he was about to post*

14. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Nah, dude, it's my fault; my post was ambiguous. I was talking about the PC being doomed. When the first Playstation came out, the graphics were so superior to what people had on their PCs... And since every new line of consoles has got tremendous performance upon release, there are always people claiming that PC gaming is doomed... They kinda make me laugh, actually. :p

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Eh? PS1 games looked like crap even when it came out. The PC had GPU accelerated games while PS1 games looked like software rendered pixelated trash.

Having played Quake 1, Quake 2, Unreal, HL1, CS etc... the PS1 was a joke in comparison ;)

16. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Stop trolling and accept the facts.

^
    facts not a opinion...

17. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Do you care to explain why Bioshock is a console game?
    The fact is that Bioshock is multiplat for pc,360,ps3 and the pc have the superior version.

18. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Because the whole game was designed to be played by pad on slow consoles hence the **** UI, small levels, noobified gameplay and things like mouse acceleration left on and terrible FOV 60 for PC version = FAIL.

It is a console game PORTED to PC for a few more $$$.

19. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Sure PC's were crap back in 80-90's.

When the PS3 came out with its Nvidia 7800/7900 GTX Hybrid the PC's users were on the Nvidia 7800 GTX 256MB and a few months later the 7900 GTX 512MB.

When the DX10 8800GTX game out it was game over, console again miles behind, same for modern C2D/CDQ and newer CPU's that are far better than the CPU's in both consoles thought the PS3's Cell is good for number crunching.

The XBOX 360 has the ATI equivalent GPU from that time frame but the whole console including the GPU shares 256MB of Memory where as the PS3 had 256MB of System Memory+256MB GPU of Memory.

Consoles are sh1t IMO.

20. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    in the 10 to 20 year old range LOL