"PC Gaming Market Not Doomed" - id Software

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The only console I've ever own was an original Xbox, hardly ever touched it except maybe to watch a movie, or sometimes listen to music when I was gaming on the PC. One thing that he failed to mention about PC gaming, is that most newer games not only have some sort of stupid cloud based, social crap, but also have need of being attached to the internet to either play, or login to a stupid account to play and a lot of PC gamers find that to be outrageous. Truthful, I do miss the simple days of PC days where all you had to was install, launch the exe, and you ready to go. Now it's install game, create stupid account for publishers DRM if you don't already have one, get frustrated because your game can't launch because it can't find a connection, curse at your PC, be mad for a little while. Finally search for a crack.

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Development has definitely shifted in the past year from PCs getting 'ports' to what it really is - Thanks to cross platform engines and Microsoft's help/tools it's easier to develop for the 360 or PS3 and put minimal effort into putting the games (mostly flawlessly) on other platforms like PC. You even have most games loading up their 360 control schemes with tooltips when you plug in a 360 controller.

It's definitely not dead or going to die. Thanks to Steam, it's easier to see PCs as a real console alternative, a third platform for heavily developed titles. The biggest reason to keep games off the platform is game politics. Exclusive deals, license rights, ect.

PCs still have a massive part of development. The games are of course made on PCs, but where would the next generation of consoles be if PC hardware hadn't advanced since 2006? DX11 and new lighting and physics, advanced game engines that make current games possible, of course the architecture for CPUs and GPUs.

Gaming on PC is definitely not going to die. There will be more convergence, but it just means more titles.

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    id Software is crock. Cormack is a huge player in trying to kill PC gaming, a shadow of what he once was.

He is becoming more & more like Bobby Kotick.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ah I love these threads.. ibtl!

pc will never die. That is all.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    As long Blizzard and Valve are here PC will stay but its only a shadow what PC used to be :(

6. jimlad

jimlad Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970
    Developers have a lot less hassle working for consoles, they dont get all the useless users with conflict/driver etc issues and all the costs that incurs.

Simple fact is more people use consoles because they can (plug it in and go).

Developers want you to use consoles = $$$ why do you think they keep telling you it's the future?

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Also, ironically, Console games are pirated more than the PC counter-parts, usually.

Seriously, games like the latest Gears of War got like 50,000 at the sight I go to a week before the game was released lol, games like StarCraft 2 got pirated like 1700 times...people bought it alot more than pirated it. :p

That said, the PS3 isn't cracked yet. Hard to believe that, Sony managed something so well they can't blame **** on Piracy.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That's not true.

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Can you give a link with words that means: "Karmak's killing PC"
    I don't belive in that.

10. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Dominate in what?
    Exclusives? NO. pc have more and better exclusives than consoles.
    Maltiplats? NO. pc always have the superior maltiplats, Not only superior in graphics but also in gameplay, online, mods, community and sometimes more content, etc
    Graphics? NO consoles play games with 1280x720 or 1024x600 with 25-30 fps and low settings.
    Gameplay? NO. With consoles you are stack with the controller, but with pc you have the superior K/M and controller. Also 25-30fps kill the gameplay.

PC dominates consoles in everyway and that is a fact.

Consoles are for kids, for people that don’t have money or people that don’t kwon about computers.

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Agree 100%

Mkilbride
    I think is more fore Single Player, they work on engine and story, if the game doesn't support Dedicated Severs, then it's a small lost.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, but if Carmack is going no dedicated? He -used- to be a huge name in the gaming industry that by putting his name on it, it meant good, but if he's going Match-making...he said they plan no Dedicated servers in future releases, too.

I want the end user to be able to make their own server and customize it the way they want to. I know it sounds like recycled PC gamer entitlement issues, but it's been that way forever, and I love it.

14. MrRixter

MrRixter Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 295x2
    This man speaks the truth

15. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I have to disagree with michaelmk86 about exclusives.

PS3:
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Heavy Rain
    Killzone
    Resistance
    The Last Guardian
    Little Big Planet
    Uncharted
    Ratchet & Clank

360:
    Alan Wake
    Gears of War 2/3
    Halo 3/Reach/ODST
    Fable II

Not PC: Red Dead Redemption

These are just what I can think of off the top of my head. Consoles get the *best* *new* exclusives most of the time. If you really want to game the best you'll have a PC and 360 or PS3 with a Gamefly subscription or something.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Alan Wake - One time open world PC game probably wouldn't do too well on PC in its current form
    Heavy Rain - There's already been rumblings of a possible PC port
    Red Dead Redemption - Like GTAIV before it will arrive on PC in the next 12 months, I guarantee it
    Gears of War III - Understandable why it won't come to PC given the contempt the GoW PC port received
    Fable II - Who needs it when Fable III PC is not too far off?
    MGS 4 - MGS is coming to PC albeit in the guise of MGS Rising
    Halo 3 etc - Halo 1 and 2 had a very limited user base on PC, simply lacks the fps standards many on PC look for

Anything I've not mentioned I doubt would do too well on the PC anyhow. Plus with the likes of Dead Rising 2, Dead Space 2, Lost Planet 2 etc etc all officially confirmed coming to PC there's enough on the horizon to keep us all busy.

17. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    It's just usual BS that "big company guys" give press nowadays. All they care about is business, and business is better on consoles. However, they don't abandon PC completely not because "it's better", but because it's still a market. And they treat this insignificant market respectively. Simple comparison: SC2, best selling RTS, world record, blahblah... 1.5 million copies which will become 3+ right before "Teh Heart of the Sworm" release (in approximately 1.5 years). Assassin's Creed 1 (hated even by console players) - 6 mils. It's all in the numbers. To spare 40 mils on PC exclusive (a lot of hard coding work) and get 1.5 mils sold copies back in current financial quarter, or to spare 40 mils on some PS3 pos like "Bayonetta vs Catman vs Capcom vs Nixon in a clown suit" (little or no work at all, nearly all the budget goes for licensing a clown suit from Hasbro, the rest goes for code monkeys) and get 8+ mils? The answer is clear.

The only way out as I see it: dramatical fall of sale numbers on consoles. And it's coming, have no doubts: compare financial reports\sale numbers from 2008 with 2010 and you'll see what I'm talking about. The day PC sales of a shooter will make at least half of console sales we'll start having exclusives once again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  18. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Facts disagree with you.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=0
    (exclusives from 11/15/05 to current)

PC AAAe = 13, AAe = 79, Ae = 82
    PS3 AAAe = 8, AAe = 13, Ae = 16
    360 AAAe = 7, AAe = 14, Ae = 12

AAAe + AAe
    PC = 92
    PS3 = 21
    360 = 21

I am not even bother to list all the pc exclusives because there are more than 100 and of course a lot of them are better than the games you listed.

Also gamespot don’t review all the pc games.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ive always had a console and PC and its only on this gen of consoles that i just think they are rubbish, all the stuff i loved about the ps2 are gone, i.e. switch on and play straight away, now you have updates when you stick it on, games have patches that need to be installed before your play etc. its just more hassle. On top of that the gfx look absolutely aweful. I remember back in 2001/2002, the arcade games like Devil May Cry looked stunning even relative to pc games of the time. 360 and PS3 when they were released looked outdated on resolution and FPS.

I still like the console exclusives, but i think any hardcore gamer should have a console AND a pc.

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I don't understand your reasoning behind stating that every hardcore gamer needs to own both a console and a game invested PC?

Please iterate further.