4870X2 = Latest Driver 10.7 + later beta versions wont enable 2nd gpu

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    the 2nd gpu on my card is stuck in 2d clocks

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, loads of times aswell as tryed games that i know are muli gpu compatible

Dead space aswell as as a few others. i also tested firmark and kombustor and they report the same issue.

now here is the funny thing if i uninstall and dont install any drivers and let my computer system automaticly install a driver it will install 10.5 drivers and when i try games they are working in multigpu mode both gpus work :D

but i want the latest driver what gives ???

2. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Yeh known problem on the 4870x2 (end users anyway).. last decent driver for the 4870x2 too was the 10.5a hotfix. Its obvious they dont have much testing on anything other than the 5xxx series now.

Hopefully the starcraft aa hotfix drivers may fix it, cause its not looking good for future drivers as 10.8 betas have the same issue. 10.2 and 10.3 ati was pumping out some pretty decent drivers after that its been sloppy as, like the engineer teams all went to work on the 6xxx series and left some fresh interns off the street to continue updating drivers.

All you can do is report the problem and hope they fix it.
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

3. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    thanks for the help and info,

that is plain wrong the 4870x2 isnt that old. its one build under the 5870 series and they have stopped supporting it already :/

that ticks me the **** off arghhh

4. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    anyone know what the latest driver that works properly i know its 10.5 but is there a higher 10.5 beta ?????? that is higher than the whql 10.5. but not higher than 10.6whql lol

5. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-Hotfix.aspx

10.5a hotfix, i think a lot of us x2 users are currently using it

BTW - just to clarify, is 4870x2 crossfire ? or is that only when you have 2x4870x2 ?

6. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
  7. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
    Dual gpu chip cards are considered crossfire so 2x4870x2 = quadfire

8. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    thanks guys

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x OC
    Its getting to the point where Nvidia is looking like a better option.

the 4870 x2 is still a very high end card, it can handle everything. And ATI decides to stop supporting it in 10.6-10.8???

I've done the survey mentioning it, but I have a feeling they will ignore it until 10.9.

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well I've submitted feedback to them, however if 10.9 proves to be the same as the last 2 driver releases I'm going for the GTX480 rather than a 5870 2GB at the end of September.

Something like this always seems to happen and I end up switching back and forth between ATi/Nvidia.. bleh.

11. zodden

zodden Guest

I can confirm this is happening with me as well..10.5a works fine and is the last one that works with my 4870x2

maybe we can use this thread to see if this problem is fixed with 10.8

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  12. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    TwL's 10.5a-based v3.50 works fine for me. I can understand why you'd get annoyed that apparently ATI is not supporting 4870x2 at the level that it should but, honestly, I don't know why people always NEED to have the latest driver. it's more like an obsessive compulsive syndrome than a real NEED. Substantial performance increase is rare (substantial means more than a few extra FPS...). Also, game specific support is usually supplied via hotfixes (that usually are released right after the originals) and app profiles (although some are of the opinion that app profiles are workarounds, in my opinion, if it works, fine by me). Of those talking about switching over to nvidia, go for it, but instead of being able to complain about failed monthly driver releases, you'll end up complaining that drivers are not released frequently enough.

13. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    So that means it the end for us, till we do not upgrade.

14. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bugfixes ???????
    and Crossfire compatibility ?????

2 main points + the 4870X2 is there last generation model series and bloody well should be supported.

anyway i have sold my 4870x2 now and bought a 5870 ;) getting another one aswell next week. :p

15. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    For god's sake, the freakin' 10.5a drivers are fine! Too OLD for you? They're two months old!

"...10.5 drivers and when i try games they are working in multigpu mode both gpus work but i want the latest driver what gives ???..."

"...anyone know what the latest driver that works properly i know its 10.5 but is there a higher 10.5 beta ?????? ..." *whines*

I repeat: OCD issues, not software issues.

Anyway, I'm just kidding; have fun with your 5870's. Just don't be surprised when the 6000's are released and you no longer have day to day 5870 bug-fixes and CF compatibility support.

But seriously, enjoy your new cards. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Strange how so many thousands and thousands of other 4870 owners don't have this problem you have. HMMMMMMM

17. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    4870X2, learn to read.

18. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You really are a dumb ass lol *This is one of those instances where engage brain doesn't include yours, though we all do it..* Nice try though trying to make me look daft it backfired ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  19. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    reading error, come on guys. Although that IS what YOU GET for doubting us!!!!

;)

20. saif

saif Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DualX OC
    Stick with the 9.12 dude. all 10.x driver line suck hard*