Mafia 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by GT40Nutcase, Aug 21, 2007.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Id forget about the PhysX if I was you! Even people with the new Fermi cards struggle with it and I can't see that dramatically changing for the release version.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looks like that for me to in the distance, looks horrible, looks like the wrong screen res, even though its not lol.

3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I installed the new PhysX drivers and it's better... but it's still not making use of both GPUs at 99%/99% when PhysX High is ON. I still cannot buy this.

4. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i can't believe that in 8 years, they could not make this game as it should, other developers make very good optimized games in much less time..what a waste for such a game..

but hey once 8 years a mafia game comes along, and it's unique, so i'm still gonna buy it..

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its blatantly GTA IV.

6. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Rubbish! It's blatantly Mafia.

7. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    To be fair the APEX physics model is new and its almost entirely down to the drivers, not the game programmers.

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Why is everyone complaining about how its coded, runs awesome for me with everything on max, for how well it looks i think its coded pretty well.

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Uhh... how?

To me it seems like it's Mafia, only updated.

10. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Lovely game.

[​IMG]

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I agree, the game runs great for what it accomplishes.

You all should know PhysX runs terrible, so no one should be up in arms about it here. Batman AA with PhysX runs terrible, Cryostasis with PhysX runs terrible, hell, even GRAW 2 still runs terrible on it's max PhysX settings. You can at least disable the cloth simulation in Mafia II and get the game running perfectly fine with everything else intact.

12. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    Except that it isn't.

13. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    not exactly, batman with physx runs awesome, with everything maxed , high physx, 4xAA (and it has the best looking physx i've seen, the smoke, the cloth(with no POS APEX), glass, everything it's perfectly made), and cryostasys tech demo runs perfect, maxed out..

i still think it's not drivers, just bad coding.Yes of course i run the game without NPC cloth, and it runs butter smooth, 50-60fps maxed out, but still the NPC cloth has too much of an impact tbh and you don't even notice it.

This game needs two more things too look great: High res texture, and proper AA. Right now to me it looks incomplete (performance vs. looks speaking).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  14. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    From nVidia themselves : "Another key component of APEX is the support for new plug-in modules, each of which provide a “high level” interface enabling artists and level designers to facilitate turnkey physics content creation with little or no programmer involvement."

15. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    so if i understand correctly: the developers do little or no programing on creating physx content, that means what? it's self creating?so they made things easier for developers at the cost of fps..cause it's sure not self optimizing..

16. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    With a dedicated PhysX card I imagine they run at somewhat tolerable frame rates, but without one they are nearly unplayable. Mafia II with all the clothing enabled runs pretty bad, that's true, but remove that and it works great without a dedicated PhysX card. To be honest, it's the first game I've played that works without a dedicated card without causing terrible frame buffer problems and mouse lag.

PhysX really just needs to be discontinued by NV anyway, it's so horribly implemented it's borderline embarrassing.

17. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Its just probably a bit clunky at the moment as its a more complicated API (APEX) but it will improve as it's function calls get simplified and streamlined and the engine is optimised.

I was just trying to point out that its not right to say its just bad coding on the part of the developers.

18. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Just played the demo and what an amazing game! I knew the story and missions will be great but I wasn't expecting the free roam gameplay to be any funny. But damn I absolutely love it! Most fun open world game I've played and the graphics are incredible too. The small details/features is what makes it great, which GTA4 was missing.

But is it just me or can you not shoot from out of your car? I couldn't figure it out...

19. Drazio

Drazio Banned

GPU:
    FVCKING
    ^ I was trying to figure out the same thing, but I think the only way you can shoot out of a car is if you're a passenger.

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I think NV SHOULD CONTINUE with PhysX cause IMO it's a big advantage over ATI..i mean look at people with ATI cards(including myself) that bought an NVIDIA GPU(second or new) just for the PhysX....

The only thing NV has to do is implement good drivers and make a better support for PhysX...