AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Sneakers

We can continue the chat on Private messages you can message me. last post up. ok? as pushing new Eyefinity / CFX builds now up.

-edit-

Hmm, re-readed, a bit of your edits. I believe that your system is faulting someway really odd here, atm. There's no one else with same card, but yet I
    cannot find anything even similar to these errors you are having on any of system I have testing access on.

In other words, dunno, what it is. My best guess would be that something was dropped on ATI/AMD installer for this absolute exact system set you
    got, but well you can as well use the 3.0.778.0 installer with anything. It's not like it would make a difference as long you don't change apps or drivers with it.

@commonly

Well, as above. I am adding new EyeFinity Builds up now v3.90a. These ones will be Final Versions. So, no experimental stuff.

In general Codemasters games (Grid, Dirt, Dirt 2). You really wanna check or re-patch the games. Seems that they have some weird way of getting working while this is done.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    TwL you think that your driver v3.90 is well to play Starcraft II on a HD5970?
    To avoid having to reinstall the others

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    if you want to remove bad-unistallations with CCC download "windows install clean up". Its a tool to remove all things from microsoft installer. Remove everything CCC related there (starts with ccc-xxx) and then try to reinstall it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

it appears on all-programes at start menu after installing

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    no.. AA would be missing even while sure they would multi-thread this game does not require GPU power at all.

Would use the currently second Post v3.80a for SC2 as from current. I added now patch for v3.90a on first page to include SC2 AA with the new EyeFinity build (with restore option) just as for support.

@commonly

As soon as I get back to the single Monitor/GPU setups and optimize those. We will get so called 'fast driver'. CFX and EyeFinity doesn't really need speed they
    need stable processing through with a bit boost and completely their own installation which is pretty hard to test and complete the build. Much harder
    than something I can see directly on my end & simply build an truly functional driver.

Hmm, you QuadfireX - Eyefinity giants could pop me a message on how the new v3.90a is now working. It took quite a bit testing and there's still
    games we detected some sort of issue (although, I build simply patch and go for one of those titles'SC2' and I am not sure now does the other 'dirt 2'
    actually be only problem on this one unique machine we were testing. There is something really weird on these Codemasters driving games, but I believe
    the solution is in the games themself and not in the 'driver'.). O and sorry for it needing a reboot and not working clean by update only there was an
    processing module I needed to switch only changed inside system while installing (btw, same module which makes this set pretty ununsable for single
    display/card setups).

5. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Thanks i try the v3.80a ;)

6. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    3.90a CFX Eyefinity

Just finished some first testing on CFX 4GPUs on stock speed powering 6000x1080 incl. AA:

this new set is just amazing!

it is not only about the big FPS boost in games crossover .. under CFX Eyefinity

it is like .. stuttering ..even microstuttering is totally gone !

Codemasters: OK, I cannot play Dirt and Dirt 2 .. but Grid runs just awesome @ 120FPS.. pure race feeling without even slightest drop in heavy scenario!

- Risen .. just ****ing great at 85-100 FPS!!

- COD:MW2 .. (keeps 2GPUs) .. but gaming at 100-150 FPS !

- Crysis: already mentioned: BRILLIANT !!! at 100FPS in game !!

- HAWX: 240FPS stable .. and just WOW in gaming ..

- BF:BC2: fastest and most smooth test done on this rig so far .. gameplay is great and smooth

- all games I have tested did not show any FPS drop on smoke effects.

You have broken a barrier today on 'Quadfinity' Setups !! :banana:

I have never seen 4GPUs playing such a beautiful quartett on three screens !!

Congrats!!! You can do things on drivers, which are just unbelievable GREAT !!!

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Hans Dampf

We'll see what others say. As I like to think every machine has it's own soul, but looks damn good start. :)

-edit-

btw, heck it took quite some time to understand the v10.7/v10.8 builds ATI sure loves to mix the deck.

:lurk:

8. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    [​IMG]

9. For Victory

For Victory Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 5970
    Should a 5970 with one display use the 3.90a driver?

10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    You can try it see how it works. It should multi-thread better over this setup.

However, these x2 cards are really tricky for me to valuate as it also depends on display size where something works. Anyway, there will be build v3.95 which
    will be for Single Card/CFX with low resolution where I will push every effort to drop processing as high as it goes for my personal setup this might work with
    HD5970 very much faster than 3.90a or be bad because it can't process through 2 GPUs correctly, but HD5970 has an internal functionality where these
    cards works where normal 2 card CFX would not which kinda makes v3.95 possibility to have a chance.

Hopefully I was mixing enough. :eyes:

11. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    figured what was wrong with grid. in the hardware settings restrictions in the system folder it is not showing the correct available vid mem. it shows 270mb but if u change it to 978 and the width from 1024 to ur max width mine is 6048. the game will have all the available resolutions.

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Thanks for the solution.

Really nice to see someone took a deeper look on these huge systems since I have no chance to do so (or run things in my screen to check).

-edit-

and linked to first page

-edit-

hmm, wonder would this apply on Dirt / Dirt 2 of Hans Dampf there because these are all same engine with exception of DirectX level.

13. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    its pretty much the same reason as gta4 where it cant read the correct mem on quad cards bc it will show a toatal vid mem available as 4g and but only lets u use 270m. and to fix that u would have to use the command line -availablevidmem 0.5 to get it to work properly.

14. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    as for dirt2 i have no problems on my end. no slowdowns on the menus select screen at all stays locked at 60fps with vsync. so i dont know what the prob is on his end. and no problems in game either.

15. Shekers

Shekers Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor 7970 CFX
    Whenever I play Dirt 2, I always have to disable my secondary monitor (i don't use it for the game). With the secondary monitor on, there's micro-stuttering. If i only have my primary monitor on (for the game), it's relatively smooth. This driver...i can't put my finger on it, but it's not as smooth as previous drivers (maybe placebo effect? lol).

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Shekers

Well, the set is so damn hard for me to build and I have to relay so much on 3rd party information as where the single display/GPU builds I can test right here on my screen, if
    something ain't correct fix it straight up and test as many times needed where as Eyefinity builds I'm lucky if I can get 1-3 tests for 1 night because modification, VNCs
    etc etc takes time and specifically getting conclusions to screen 'where we are at' is incredible time consuming. Same time I do 1-3 tests on remote I could run 30 tests on local.

but current Eyefinity set should be pretty insane set compared to anything else. So, few issues and something like Dirt 2 ain't probably gonna rain the
    world down. Since everything seems to be functional with pretty insane speeds as what I watched this one fellow here benchmarking.

-edit-

as for your setup(took a re-look what you said about monitor setup). You shouldn't be using these with single monitor gaming. They will be half the
    speed than previous drivers as they are build to function on absolute high resolutions. Not something like 1920x1200 screen or even 3840x1200.

17. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    I seem to lost my AA in all games. I've read and re-read the installation instructions, but as 3.8 and up, I can't seem to get the AA back.

Games affected include BFBC2 and DA:O. Others are affected as well. No idea what I did wrong.

It's forced and also selected in games, but just doesn't seem functional.

Any thoughts? Would it have something to do with the two files in the registry that ati**it cleaner doesn't seem to grab? They art the amdadap... entries x 2.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I'd stop installing new drivers as an replacement tests. I'd look on issues from CCC Panel instead. There's several ways how you can disable effects like
    'Catalyst AI', HQ AF, VSYNC.. and so on. Depending on a game for example AA on DAO would only need application selection and you choose the AA
    method where it needs AF set manually from CCC Panel and in-game configs should handle the rest.

Well, if you leave any of the amdkmdag under video registry it takes the settings from those and not from installation.

19. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Once I deleted those two files from the registry I couldn't boot, but your criticalsituation file saved the day again.

AA once again functional.

Thanks!

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    heh.. nice.. Always nice to have backup plan when something goes badly. :)

Although, had a chat some days ago with Driver Sweeper developer. So, soon we can get rid of the ugly command line tools and simply use the Driver Sweeper hopefully. Been waiting response from him as I didn't update 3.2 clean-up since it's good for now to get rid of generic crap.

@commonly

Found an pretty serious overclocking bug in new 10.8. This will not affect 3.90a, but there is such, atm, going on. Happens under DX11 while dropping absolutely every effect on screen and driver says no go.

Trying here to resolve the cause a bit as I think it's just a single module. Also I can say for sure that, if there's gonna be an Single Display/Card driver out
    from me it won't be based upon v10.8 driver series. As these beta's just cannot stand the full performance even while they are stable and on
    something like 3.90a build they are not in edge of performance as single display/card drivers are always.

Anyway, there's some irony, heh, as it seems CFX / EyeFinity in general and single display/card drivers will swap versions. (usually EyeFinity type builds has always been lower Catalyst versions) :)

-UPDATE-

Yep, Bug affects v3.73 and v3.75. Nothing else. So, these builds will not stand the OC on DirectX 11 stressing.

sad news is this is the fastest damn module there is, but well better safe than sorry leave it out from anything in future.

-INFORMATION - Texture LOD-

There is I failed to mention an new TextureLod settings now applied on Catalyst which you can modify with CCC Panel: 3D > 'standard'-tab > slider.
    This slider is usually used for quality of 3D settings and still is, but it has an 'new' affect to 'TextureLod' Texture Quality meaning, if you move the slide to
    'Optimal Quality' and then activate 'Custom' your Texture LOD will be 'HiQuality' and not 'HiPerformance' what it is in default.

However, This has huge impact on performance for something like benchmarks, so, you should modify this same method lower while benchmarking on something like Vantage.

I will not 'default' this to anything else than what it is in officials for now. (In modded INF files we do however have TextureLod_NA entry as extra entry as I mentioned before, if ATI/AMD decides to add this setting separate).