RadeonPro BETA (Automating 3D Settings)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by japamd, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I got this to work last night. Seems that I had to activate the profile twice for it to work as the first time it just made the clocks jump to 400 MHz. The second time they went to 875 MHz on both GPUs (monitored with RivaTuner GPU sidebar gadget) and stayed there for the duration I played Psychonauts. The game felt much smoother as a result of the higher clock speeds even though the framerate was the same (v-synced, 60 fps). I then selected the Default CCC profile I'd made after exiting the game to restore the original clock speeds.

So thanks a thousand times over for that tip. :D

Can I apply this overclocked profile to Psychonauts using my RP profile and then restore it the same way, say, using the scripting feature? If so then how do I do it please? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    BioShock 2 already works with AA without needing to be renamed, you just have to add the -dx9 commandline to Steam's startup parameters for that game or through an RP profile. ATI added AA support for it in an earlier driver but only for DX9. DX10 mode doesn't work at all with standard AA though no matter what you rename the game to (nor will GTA IV for that matter).

Supersampled AA will work with both those games though but you have to use some kind of third party hack to enable it (forget what it's called now or where you get it from) but because it relies on rendering at much higher resolutions then downsampling you'll lose a lot of performance.

NVIDIA's drivers support AA for BioShock and BioShock 2 DX10 using this method I believe and when I tried it with my GTX 280 the performance was very erratic with 4xAA, far more so than it was for the original in DX10 mode as I played that at 8xAA and got 60 fps pretty much throughout.

3. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    YAY!!! I'm so glad it worked for you bro. It's a real shame that it's up to users like you and I and Japamd and others to fix these problems, when it really should be ATI. Now that you've sussed it out, things should get really easy from here on in. :D

Japamd has addded a really cool scripting template for loading CCC profiles. You can find the template in the drop down menu in the scripts section of RadeonPro. You'll also notice there are tabs for auto loading a CCC profile at the start of a game and also for auto loading one at the end. Replace the name "Stock" (or whetever its called - I can't check cause I'm not home at the moment) with the name of your forced 3D profile. I have noticed, and I could be wrong, that the scripting language doesn't like profiles names that are made up of multiple words, so you may need to rename your CCC profiles to single words. You may have to experiment with this.

While your playing around with this Darren, could you do me a massive favour and check out something for me? I'm having an issue where my RadeonPro profile won't run my CCC profile for the first time straight after I have switched on/restarted my PC. But it WILL do it when I run the RadeonPro profile the second time round. You can tell if the CCC profile is not running because, if you minimise your game, the clock speeds will drop to idle speeds. But if you want to be doubly sure if it's running or not, set your CCC profile to manually spin up your cards fan. Then that way you'll hear if the CCC profile is running.

If you could test that for me, then I'd be eternally grateful. :) Thanx heaps!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @sean skroht - Thanks again for the help. Seeing as I'll be testing the scripting anyway, it's no hassle at all for me to report back whether it works post-boot up or not.

5. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I'm not sure what you did there. But could you use the same trick to force AA with TWFC.exe?

Now i've to choose with 30FPS with AA that can be forced (with your app) or 60FPS+ without AA (with the fps unlock trainer).

6. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Well, GTA IV didn't worked, I got a xnet* error if I the game (GTAIV.exe) is started using another executable name.

;)

Shame on Steam for making available a demo that doesn't work :(

I'm downloading the second link now, although you already found a solution for the problem I'll try some other things that may be applicable to other games that shows the same (mis)behavior.

I have the game and the trainer here, I'll do some tests later and will let you know :)

7. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    :d gl!

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That would be great, thanks.

It's not just old games that won't stick to 3D clock speeds by the way, some of the LEGO games and all of Telltale's point 'n' click adventures (Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max, etc.) seem to enjoy running at 2D clock speeds, mostly when CrossFireX is used but often with single GPUs too.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Right, I created another profile called just '3D' instead of 'Force 3D Clock Speeds' and edited the CCC scripting template for Pre-start to use that when Psychonauts starts.

Because the CCC profile doesn't work first time and requires it to be selected twice I added a semi-colon to the end of the script and duplicated the entire two lines again.

When I tested this I saw the clock speed jump from 157 MHz to 875 MHz rather than 400 MHz if I just use the single entry.

I then added a post-finished CCC script template using my default profile called 'Default' but again duplicated the line so that it is activated twice.

I only tested it the once straight after booting into Windows and this seems to work fine. I've no idea why I have to activate the CCC profiles twice, it doesn't seem to be a bug with RadeonPro but one with the CCC itself.

10. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Thanx Darren for having a look at this.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work using this method. After boot up, RadeonPro scripting doesn't load up the CCC profile at all the first time round. Even with the lines repeated, nothing happens. No clock speed increase, no fan spin up, no nothing. But if I run my game the second time, then it's fine.

I've exhausted all options.

I wonder if there's something in the CCC profile i need to alter.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @sean_skroht - Well I may have spoken too soon as I've just tried the Psychonauts profile this morning, straight after booting into Windows and it didn't work the first time but it did the second. Sorry about that.

Does it only happen for you after you've loaded Windows then fine after that? I tried OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (Steam) straight after, which has a profile with forced 3D clock speeds, and without rebooting Windows and it worked first time. Am I right in assuming that the scripts/profiles will work as they should first time thereafter unless I reboot Windows?

@japamd - If you're reading this, do you have any idea why this might be happening?

*EDIT*
    This is the scripting code I've been cutting and pasting to various profiles whose games have alternating clock speeds:

<Property name="_PreScript" value="// Change the name below with the profile name defined in CCC (you must create a profile before using it in RadeonPro)
    // Example: profileToActivate = 'Stock'
    // Remarks: The profile name is case sensitive, you must specify it using exactly the same spelling.
    profileToActivate = '3D';

Run( 'CLI.exe', 'Start', 'Load', 'Profilename=&quot;' + profileToActivate + '&quot;' );

profileToActivate = '3D';

Run( 'CLI.exe', 'Start', 'Load', 'Profilename=&quot;' + profileToActivate + '&quot;' )" />
    <Property name="_PosScript" value="// Change the name below with the profile name defined in CCC (you must create a profile before using it in RadeonPro)
    // Example: profileToActivate = 'Stock'
    // Remarks: The profile name is case sensitive, you must specify it using exactly the same spelling.
    profileToActivate = 'Default';

Run( 'CLI.exe', 'Start', 'Load', 'Profilename=&quot;' + profileToActivate + '&quot;' );

profileToActivate = 'Default';

Run( 'CLI.exe', 'Start', 'Load', 'Profilename=&quot;' + profileToActivate + '&quot;' )" />

I was wondering if this bug (or whatever it is) could be worked around by forcing RP to always activate a dummy profile each time it loads into Windows for the first time; one that contains the code I've shown above to force 3D then deactivate it. That would mean that any game that you run for the first time with these scripts would then actually be running them for the second time and it should work, right?

Maybe we could add a profile for something that Windows loads last like, in my case, MSI Afterburner?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    *UPDATE*
    I tried using MSI Afterburner as a dummy file to force then deactivate 3D clock speeds during the Windows booup process... and it works... BUT... because RadeonPro is monitoring it the icon appears as the No Entry sign so no other profiles would work unless I exited MSI Afterburner.

Damn. I was so close.

@japamd - Is there any workaround for this?

13. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Do you both have RadeonPro to start at logon? If you do so, maybe it's something related, I must test it to know if there's something wrong.

But MSI Afterburner is not monitored anymore since build 1.0.7.49, the overclock profile is loaded and MSI Afterburner should unload immediately (unless if was already loaded when the script ran, in that case MSI Afterburner will switch the profile silently and will return command to the script).

14. xpeedx

xpeedx Member

GPU:
    ATi HD 6870
    classic skin
    v-sync unchecked

global <-> profile click when v-sync control gauge to changed.

15. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Yeah you are correct in assuming that. First time straight after booting into Windows it won't work, but it will on subsequent tries.

So scenario is as follows:
    1. Boot Windows.

2. Run ToCA Race Driver 3. Script won't load CCC profile.

(Side note: The weird thing is that when the game has finished, my "Default" CCC profile WILL load which means that idle clock speeds have been applied twice, because obviously my "Forced 3D" CCC profile was never loaded at game start to begin with. This is turn means I have to apply "Forced 3D" profile twice after that to get clock speeds back up to 3D speeds. Really annoying.)

3. Try ToCA 3 second time (or any other game first time) it WILL work.

Also as a side note: (ignoring RadeonPro altogether)

I have stuck with 10.4 drivers because I don't like my card idling at 400MHz. I much prefer 157Mhz because I get a cooler card and not as much power consumption.

With 10.5 to 10.7 drivers I can get the card to idle at 157MHz, but it means I have to manually apply my "Default" profile TWICE (if I only apply it once I only get 400Mhz idle speed.) This in turns means I have to manually apply my "Forced 3D" CCC profile TWICE again to get back up to 3D speeds. Also really annoying. I can't win! :)

16. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Ideally, what I'd love to be able to do is add the "Want" values directly into the RadeonPro profiles. I tried it but it didn't work.

Yes I have RadeonPro set to start automatically at Windows startup.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes... me too.

18. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    I'm a new user to RadeonPro, and I notice a sound like attaching new hardware when I start playing Mass Effect 2, and a sound like detaching hardware after quitting Mass Effect 2. If this is what should happen when automatically loading/unloading profiles, then ...

When I fire up an EVE Online client, the client is never full screen to make it easier using multiple clients and EVE tools. However, when the client starts I immediately get the attach hardware sound, followed by the detach hardware sound about a second later.

Is this expected behavior because I don't play EVE Online full-screen?

Thanks.

EDIT: Not an error and solved. See here for the problem and the solution.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  19. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    That sound you're hearing is as a result of the "Play sound when profile is being enabled/disabled" option in settings. Japamd just chose to use that sound to signal when a profile is enabled or disabled. It has nothing to do with hardware being attached or detached.

20. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Good. Then it seems RadeonPro is unloading its profile while EVE Online is still active.

Thanks for clearing up there's an error here then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.