rubbish fps in oblivion

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by davegl1234, Aug 4, 2010.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The beginning of the game lags horribly for some reason. Once you actually get out into the world you'll have much better fps.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    When the game is chugging along, how much free memory do you have?

3. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Well, I checked the opening scene on my rig. I used the stutter remover to max my fps to 40, so that's the maximum for me there :p. Also, quiet feet is installed. My framerate in the first fight dropped to 30 with a dip to 25 for a fraction of a second.
    That's with Qarls texture pack, "All natural - real lights"(which is very performance intensive) and loads of other mods @ 1680x1050 8xAA 16xAF.
    So with the suggestions in this thread you should be able to achieve at LEAST the same result, as your CPU is far superior to mine. But remember, Oblivions code isn't very optimized.
    I don't use streamline, as that mod destroyed the performance, so be careful if you want to try it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's just the beginning area/characters. I get dips to 30 and even below sometimes in that beginning dungeon. Something to do with the level or the emperor/bodyguards.

Once I get into the actual game world, fps is smooth at 60 most of the time (Sometimes goes down to 40, like in marketplace of imp city at noon, bravil is also kind of an fps whore).

5. Strike105X

Strike105X Guest

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Actually its the autosave feature in streamlines that kills performance ... but still it shouldn't be used with the stutter remover either one or the other, they can work with the Crash prevention system but not recommended.

6. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    lol
    try disabling crossfire, crossfire gives many problems in a lot of games
    one gpu is enough for an old game like Oblivion

I played it PERFECTLY at 1680x1050, 8x AA with Adaptive (transparency)AA and 16x AF.
    Maxed out and modded with high resolution texture mods including normal mapping enhancements, vegetation, lighting and atmosphere mods.

ON a single HD3870!

Cards like 5970 require maintenance because of Crossfire and multi gpu, they should be called 5870 X2 or so and not just 5970 because a lot of people now think ok I will just buy this card, 5870 is fast, but 5970 is even faster. It's just a simple regular card but faster. Well it's not, it's two 5870s glued together and it works differently.

EDIT: I didn't notice you tried disabling Crossfire, sorry. anyway you should get much better performance as I already mentioned I played Oblivion perfectly on a single HD3870 and it's roughly like 4 times slower than a single HD5870.
    Hmm...maybe try installing just vanilla Oblivion + patches and see how it runs. then add mods one by one

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. davegl1234

davegl1234 Member

GPU:
    Hd 5970
    I just tried a reinstall, patches, and no mods.

I loaded a save of just exiting the sewer and first arriving in the open world.

First with no AA and application controlled AF, and was getting around 80 fps.

Then with 8xAA, Adaptive supersampling, and 16 AF, and was getting around 60 fps.

The difference between them at least makes mroe sense now, but does this sound about reasonable for my setup (all in-game settings maxed out)?

I'm going to try some other ini tweaks at tweakguides.com, and then load each graphical mod one by one to see what may be causing massive plummets in fps (with loads of graphical mods I was getting as low as 6 fps as soon as i left the sewers).

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

graphical overhauls will take those numbers down, no matter what you do
    it's a poorly optimised engine, so don't worry if y get 30 fps in some places
    there are issues with grass for example
    I have modded to death oblivion (graphics mods) and it brings down my fps as well.....
    there are some "optimised" graphical mods that will cut the bleeding, but .....

9. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    The biggest fps-hungry mod for me is AEVWD. That mod brought my PC to a crawl (as in only 15fps at times)
    Also unique landscapes, elsweyr:doa and any program that updates the LOD (the same effect as AEVWD essentially, but works with the unique landscapes) will bring your fps down big time.

10. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Taking into account only the raw horsepower your card has I'd say NO it's not as I already mentioned I played Oblivion with mods, maxed and with adaptive aa on old hd3870.
    Maybe they (ATI) have changed something in drivers..

Oblivion is an old game. It was released at around the time of ATI X series cards. They could not run it maxed. Then next generation came ATI X1xxx. They could run it maxed out. After that HD2xxx and HD3xxx cards came, they were about 2x as fast as X1xxx series and could run game at high res with additional filters and mods. Then HD4xxx series, twice more powerfull again. And HD5xxx later. Again 2x more power. well you have two high end HD5xxx in one so think about is it normal if Oblivion stutters :) Again maybe it's because it's an old game and not really that compatible with new cards/drivers..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010

11. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    I think you have a romantic vision on how Oblivion ran on your 3870 (no offense!).
    Oblivion stutters on all systems when loading new cells.

The engine is just pretty crappy.

My 5850 doesn't run the game much better than my old 8800GT for example (except 8xAA, which the 8800GT didn't like). The X1900XTX could not run Oblivion maxed out without problems. It already struggled with 1280x1024 and no AA (alright: "reasonably smoothly" according to that site)

This is probably not even "real" gameplay. Probably just some countryside walk (and without mods!):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  12. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    No offence taken, but I know how it ran on my HD3870.
    There are many benchmarks to support what I said. For example:

[​IMG]
    max settings with HDR enabled

Now I was playing Oblivion at 1280x1024 on my HD3870 so look at the bechmark results above and add resolution difference into account. And you will see there is enough performance left to add additional mods.

Believe me I was really happy to see how fluid Oblivion (and later it's expansions) ran on my HD3870 because before it I played Oblivion on Geforce 6800 and THAT was a totally different experience. And adding all the additional filters af and aa and mods made it only sweeter :)

13. davegl1234

davegl1234 Member

GPU:
    Hd 5970
    haha...apologies, my bad.

I just realised why i was getting 15 fps a second with my combined graphical replacers....i had MTAEVWD loaded, which has got to be the most pointless mod created. Sorry for the post.

I do think its either a poorly optimized engine, unoptimized drivers on the newer card, or a bottleneck elsewhere, as disabling crossfire actually improved fps slightly. Unfortunately, the only way to disable crossfire on the 5970 is to disable Catalyst AI, which also disables AA.

Thanks for the info anyhow, i should be able to load up some more mods and play on... just stay away from MTAEVWD.

14. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    I know what you mean there. I went from a 7800GS +A64 3200(only a little faster than a 6800GT) to a 8800GT + Q6600 @3ghz. Same situation :)
    It's just that I haven't played Oblivion unmodded since ehh... one day after its release :p
    The minimum fps goes down fast with lots of creatures and nps's, and francesco's, OOO and MMM add a lot of those. Means my minimum fps is much lower than 40 unfortunately..... in unmodded Oblivion there were barely any fights with more than 3 opponents at a time (I have an average of around 8 I guess), so that must be the difference.

Told ya ;)

15. p-nut

p-nut Guest

GPU:
    Diamond 5870
    I had pretty good FPS (min:30ish, average 45-60) playing on my brothers PC running a 5770.

All the best graphic overhauls, 8x AA, 1080p resolution. Your system should be handling things fine.

16. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Are you serious? Hmm Ive never had any issues with Oblivion! I used to on my old rig,but my current one runs it really well.
    When i had worse system It was lagging. There are few setting that dont seem to be doing f*** all if you switch them on and off, but if its off you will get better performance!