AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I think we talk a bit beside each other.
    WAR is a game that has no support for AA etc.and most of the engine is CPU bound, on a quad it can load up all 4 cores.
    So when you run it on default fps is lower than when you force AA,AF and so on, getting lower loads on the cores and more load on the GPU.
    This isn't ATI's fault thou, its a badly coded game engine.
    And I just pointed out that it is possible to get better performance out of some CPU bound games.
    As I recall, the same can be done with WoW.

@Those who might be interested
    Just to add something regarding 3.70, the driver fly's on AoC, LOTRO and NFS World. Both set to Dx9 as Dx10, and that without any sacrifice of IQ.

2. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I don't think we are speaking of different things. for increasing an 'effect' like AA/AF Super-sampling on these titles. Would increase the GPU load and while
    GPU load would of course decrease the GPU FPS on screen (as it would multiply the rendering targets/shadows etc etc) the CPU side processing
    through driver while effects are in full would still boost the gameplay a notch as then the effects processed / left to CPU like animations or physics kind of
    processing data would still work faster as driver would allow faster processing on CPU (and not stutter or jump while CPU processing is needed / query by application).

More stable / direct the processing through GPU driver would in this case be less there would be issues and faster the title would function on screen even
    while GPU in extreme AA/SSAA/tesselation styles would eventually become a performance degrading component in machine (instead of CPU).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. For Victory

For Victory Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 5970
    I still can't get AA to take effect in starcraft, even with the newly released patch. Trying to force it in CCC only makes the game perform much worse. Is there anything I can try besides completely removing my drivers and starting over? I have never done the 'true cleaning' or the 'assessment finalize" functions. Should I give those a try, or can they disable my crossfire permanently?

4. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That's so many damn things bounded on one message that hell. First of why would anyone not use clean-up and assessment tool I provide. They are there
    to help you and no, 'Microsoft' can disable the CFX and even if so it would be temporal effect because system wasn't stable enough to go through WinSAT
    (Assessment) which is a kind of system no one should be using in a first place. How do you expect anything to work without system re-valuating hardware I wonder?

AA patch works just fine. Are you trying to play the game on 'windowed mode' as you cannot force AA to this game in windowed mode. 'Game
    Perform much worst' you can thank ATI for that they screwed the DX9 module so damn badly from bad catalyst driver version in the first place that
    hell I am surprise no one is bitching to them already. I just cannot believe that they builded an DirectX 9 optimized game on 10.5a driver branch which
    cannot CFX the DX9 like for example 10.4a could of done. Although then they couldn't of say 'improved the QuadFireX', lol.

Anyway, the patch will not work in any case as clean as official v10.7a would under StarCraft 2 specifically. This is as I said on multiple times above
    because my build environment is using different style of approach in driver level and only way for it to work really clean would be for me to build own
    driver for this game which I will not build simply because Blizzard can fix their crappy engine and ATI insists of providing crap to people.
    (Purposely, while driver developer most of known that the driver they used was not DirectX 9 CFX capable. v2.91(+3.70 EXTRAS)+patch would actually
    be functional much better with this title as it's driver environment would be actually optimized TO DirectX 9).

@commonly

As above written I was really hoping the 10.7a build of ATI would of finally fix the damn CFX DirectX 9 issues (the only issue) there was as those are the only block A I have for not build a decent CrossfireX driver to people.

-UPDATE on DXVA-

Well, I honestly don't even know can I take anymore ATI screw-ups, but I just went through all official catalyst versions 1-by-1 and played as many
    DXVA HD 1080p full BluRay quality clips on screen I could and there's pretty damn nasty screw ups.

For example:
    * v10.5a-v10.7a can play 3 videos and on 4th it's AVIVO64 (even updated newest) will lock down whole system.
    * On our build which is based on a bit older code than the 10.7a hotfix (which has same affect as above 10.5a-10.7 WHQL) can play total of 4 and 5th video says 'Good Morning Vietnam...' and we have a lock down.

Now, this really tells us how crappy the coding really is. Something like CPU+GPU through ffdshow could play 7-8 videos with out ANY hitch. Probably something like 15 videos on screen.

So, I kept hearing we had some 'flash' unique issues on some people system on IE? or perhaps some DXVA issues according to some people referring the
    line someone said "Has issue on DXVA like v10.8b5". Now I would like to answer this with "Did you even take a look what crap the earlier Catalyst
    versions were ?" as hell at least these processes through more.

(and I still like to question where is the mosaic video players, which can process through GPU use selected videos in mosaic side by side ? Asked this
    question on VideoLAN forums, from MPC HC irc web channels, etc etc and only answer anyone can seem to come up with is 'use avisynth' now who the
    hell wants to script every damn video to some damn text file just to play couple of movies same time.)

-UPDATE 2-

New build coming up for single/dual monitor setups. v3.72

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

By 10.7a do you mean the SC2 hotfix drivers?

I have a 4870x2 which is not DX11, Should I do a clean install of 10.7a official and then use v3.71 patcher to update the files?

What would you recommend...

Thanks.

6. fagoatse

fagoatse Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    well...there's not much point in dxva anyway, so you shouldn't care, ati will screw-up other things in upcoming releases, as usual.(fix 1 thing and break 2 others).
    Anyway, 3.70 works wonders. I did a full cleanup with that fake files thing + modified inf and WinSAT(btw, I've noticed that WinSAT is scheduled in win 7 to run once a week : o) and everything is just fine.
    Tested OpenCL functionality in Dolphin emulator and every game I tried worked well.(it improves loading textures greatly, making it faster than real machine).
    Thanks a lot.

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, actually now that I am clear with studying the new 10.7a a little more. There's a bit more to this update from ATI. Curiously for one I am not too sure this is build from
    10.5a even while it sure as hell looks like it. The base DX11 module in it is in level only with out v3.71 build. What they actually did was they updated the universal D3D driver and application profiles in this build somehow to process DirectX 11 games better.

The DX11 modules were newer 'the' issue. The bad news is this will lower processing several FPS, but it will increase DX11 games speed massively. Like Dirt 2 or BF:BC2 is
    like 60 FPS all the time even with a single card. Sadly while they did this they degraced the DirectX 10 speeds and also on 10.7a DirectX 9 speeds. So, new builds will be actually processing slower to gain performance on DirectX 11.

-UPDATE-

Well, added versions Eyefinity v3.72 and Single Card / up to 3840x1200 resolution and Eyefinity v3.73 builds up.

I have to say I do not like either of these builds, but they do increase performance for both sets on DX11 to top notch. Eyefinity build took a bit hit
    on processing, but it's quite a bit faster there then the official 10.7a, if it works under the Eyefinity conditions.

The point in these builds I do not like is that processing in the new 10.7a module which provides the DirectX 11 speed is incredibly bad. It is no where
    even near what we had with v3.70 or v3.71 builds and this will degrace the speed of DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 (like for example atm build on Single
    Monitors is almost 3 FPS slower than what we have in gain of 'StarCraft 2' AA and DirectX 11 Improvement).

Anyway, as for now for the moment these looks very good in, atm, games. Didn't find any bigger drops on anything.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hmm noticed some odd texture problems with Cat 10.8 beta 5 in Transformers: War for Cybertron. Immediately noticed once at the main menu and looking at the rotating planet of Cybertron. It's missing textures, etc. This game uses the unreal engine 3. Not sure if anyone else can confirm or not.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    was this with official 10.8b5 or with my build as well?

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    My apologies, the driver is fine. It was something else. Does anyone have any information of what Standard Settings of CCC actually is? I left mine on Performance by mistake. Once I changed it back to the middle showing Custom Selection textures for Transformers: War for Cybertron went back to normal.

11. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    3.70 build with Vista 64 fix looks good. BFBC2 crash disappeared after I uninstalled ATI stream and no crashes since. :banana:

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Might have the same bug Singularity had when it was released. Textures would either not load or take ages to, walls and objects in the game would have very low textures on them at higher resolutions. A patch was released for Singularity fixing this, check for a Transformers patch.

13. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Well Well Well :) But if I play to SCII, which drivers I have to take now for a HD5970 ? I am a little lost :(

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Is it me being simple or has there been some mixup within the information in the main page and the "changes.txt" in set 3.73 ?

Main page=

changes .txt=

Also for 3.72 we seem to have some conflict of info....

Main page =

changes.txt =

So.....
    Is 3.73 for Single/Dual or Multiple monitors
    Is 3.73 based on 10.8b5 or 10.7a
    Is 3.72 for Multiple or Single/Dual

I'm now at a complete loss of what to install for my single card/single monitor setup....
    I want the best performance for BC2 if possible

Anyone know what to install ??????

15. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    3.73 for Single/Dual or Multiple monitors -> That one should be fine for your single card single monitor setup.
    Cheers :)

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Yeah, sorry for that version read here too. Probably was damn tired when I finally finished the driver and then archives everything, send all 4 packs & then wrote the message here.

on HD5970, if the v10.6, v10.7 WHQL or 10.8 beta 5 did work on your system and CFX was functional correctly. Then use the v3.73 (10.8b5 build), if any of those versions mentioned above gave you an issue with CrossfireX scaling D3D use the v3.72.

That's best advice I can give you.

@slickric21

Yeah, my typos.. Was building, testing and considering so many things again that wrote on changes the driver version on wrong build.

Basically, the 'Single/Dual Monitor' are always the top of the like which possibly has an issues with Eyefinity setups or CrossfireX Scaling. Where as the single/dual monitor builds are meant for single cards and some of smaller resolution crossfireX setups.

v3.72 = v10.7a as the main page states
    v3.73 = v10.8b5 as the main page states

Main thing is that people knows when they are reading the post what they should download. Which I have to admit is a bit mixing as for moment, but it is very hard to explain while only difference where the builds works better is the resolution on screen or 3 or more GPUs.

17. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Cheers dude, I thought so but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for all your hard work on this project, must keep you busy !!!!!!

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, the, atm, sets are basically both built upon entirely new environment ATI has created by hype of StarCraft 2. I have to admit (as said some
    messages ago) that I personally hate their new environment as it is badly coded and it is slow as hell. Only place they correlated their latest was
    DirectX 11 under Eyefinity of course that's a good thing for Eyefinity, but in public sense this is bad as most of the people does not have 3-4 GPUs and 3
    displays standing on their table.

Even more sad in currently is the point that 'EyeFinity' reports something like 60 FPS on BF:BC2 while the core driver itself work on single card same
    amount on v10.8b5 (v3.73 build). I am having just a little doubt on the atm drivers was the improvement made under CFX after all or simply for people to
    see it this way. Which is why I added the 'Experimental'-tag on Eyefinity build.

@commonly

For those who benchmarks drivers here. I'd like to say that before you download neither of the drivers, performance in 'vantage' style of
    applications as the DX10 was decreased in big gain of performance over DX11 on both of latest builds, if someone wants an benchmark driver the
    earlier version (3.70) was the thing you would be looking for.

As for functionality side of the drivers. I made several hours effort to fix the DirectX 9-10 speed difference and try to fix the DirectX 11 a bit better /
    more stable in all sense. In current builds against officials for the moment difference is really marginal in processing. Where official drivers will process
    132-140 FPS in through CPU processing either of these builds here will process 143-146 FPS (Do not mix this to usual FPS in games. This is FPS
    measures how much your CPU will give through while GPU is stressed on 100%). Also of course the usual fixes apply OpenCL works on multiGPU
    environment (Including with NVIDIA Adapter, on NVIDIA Adapter too). OpenGL Was improved now to have minor, but possible Overclocking (more on main page) and so on... :biggun:

OpenCL:
    I am also wondering where the hell is the v2.2 or v2.3 ATI Stream with OpenCL 1.1 and other capabilities like Physics. here's the roadmap picture:

[​IMG]

^ now as everyone can see there's a lot good stuff listed been waiting and waiting and it seems it's like a no show.

v3.72 (Eyefinity Build):
    Hmm, looks like I forgot on Eyefinity Build (v3.72) to include 'EnableUlps' as 1. So, just to let you guys know who prefer the 3-4 GPU setup a bit more
    stable. You might wanna disable it yourself as in any regular ATI Catalyst Installation. v3.70 this feature was disabled automatically. So, if updating over / with out clean-ups it'll be there.

StarCraft 2 AA:
    All drivers has functional AA under this game, if you get texture/object flickering use BOX AA not EdgeAA with MSAA. This flickering and the line
    draw while "3D video" is displayed are in the ATI drivers v10.7a. So ain't my screw up it does that and cannot fix it as for the moment.

-edit-

Updated the Current Release informations, Changes log and Mediafire Mirror Links now on main page. I wonder what will
    we cook up next. Although, it's kinda nice to atleast go forward for a change than spin circles.

[​IMG]

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I fixed it already. I had Standard settings in CCC set to Performance instead of Balanced. Then I made sure I selected Custom Settings.

20. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Thank for the advice ;)