AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks TwL,

I dont know how you did it but if v3.71 fixes Xfire for me (I am one of the ones that can not get xfire to work with anything newer than 10.5a). Then I shall buy you a digital pint on me! :)

Downloading the v3.71 patcher, as I have v3.49. Will report back for you if it works.

Should this patcher update the driver from 10.5a to 10.8b5 or does it update something else, if so where do I check?

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Just installed the v3.71 patcher and CCC still reads driver version 8.732 (10.5a)... Should I install v3.70 then install the v.371 patcher over that?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    3.70final are the best drivers yet!

3. aernouts

aernouts Active Member

Thx for fast reply
    yeah i know the problem is not in your drivers.
    but this is first time i came across this problem on my comp
    i just done the 'SFC /SCANNOW' check all is good (as it says)
    and i did reinstall the ASUS driver which works quit well for me, and no problem was reported on installer.
    So i have 1 question... you used installer from that BETA driver right ?
    is it possible for me to copy installer from ASUS driver (which is normal ATI one) over to your 3.70 package and run it from there ?
    in other words i run your complete installer package with other installer.exe

Thx

4. fagoatse

fagoatse Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    kk here's the deal.
    I'm gonna reinstall win 7 from scratch since it's a mess(that's what you get for trying new drivers every 15 mins).
    The question is, should I use that driver cleaning utility since win 7 seems to come with ati drivers pre-installed, or not?

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    No, it's patch for v3.49 not to v3.71.. It is only to people who used Multi-monitor v3.49 and doesn't wish to do full new installation.

No you cannot as, if there is an issue it is at Catalyst accepting Vista driver files and if this is the case on, atm, 3.70. only way to fix it is to manually install drivers and use installer to install applications.

I'd look did the RAR extract correctly and/or fix my system, if this kind of error would occur. As I said when it breaks bad it will drop the whole windows with it.

If you would follow instructions of cleanup.. there's not a single GPU driver on system after it's through with it. How many times you install drivers is
    irrelevant (unless you could that log size is increased ;P) and anything on entire windows background you can see with 'Autoruns'.

When done with driver check op the assessment check and that will be cleaning & stabilizing the system to as you set it's core drivers to function.

@commonly

hot damn people insist making things difficult for them self on the Windows, heh. I bet an 'Windows Basics'-book would have really good sale rate here.

:lurk:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    I'm testing them as you go along. Needed to register to download your update logs, so now I can give some feedback on Vista if you like.

Drivers works well in all games I've tried them in so far (performance increase in most of them), except BFBC2, which crashes with them. Ran the Heaven and the AVP benchmark in DX11 to see if that was the culprit, but those works fine with the drivers.

Here's 10.7a btw if you wish to take a look at them:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICat107aBetaDriver.aspx

According to Dave Baumann from ATI, there should be some >2GPU crossfire improvements in them:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19927

Worth to see what you can get out of them as well :)

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Tamlin

That's great news and thanks for the update.

heh, I bet these are the ones I've been mentioning here couple times that they would be based on 10.5a driver branch and if this is correct these will be Eyefinity & CFX compatible drivers.

Perhaps our topic finally gets an 1 drivers to everyone or who knows now that ATI could actually finally be using a correct driver branch to build drivers perhaps they've fixed other things along the side.

8. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    Lol! That would be nice indeed.

Still, I hope you will continue to improve the drivers. I've tried most of your builds and they seem like good work. :)

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    My improvements stops exactly the point ati profides first working driver and on that minute I will wipe the first post and add link to ATI on them.

This v10.7a will probably come pretty close, if it indeed is from 10.5a branch (it had DirectX 9 broken, but DirectX 11 was pretty good). Wonder, if they have fixed the DX9 now as SC2 is DX9 if I recall.

10. Hazado

Hazado Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5850
    Did you get your overscan working right? Ive got the same problem, and i havent been able to fix it.

11. fagoatse

fagoatse Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    yeah yeah I know that, but you didn't answer my question about fresh Windows 7 installation and it's built-in ati drivers, or so it seems. I'm pretty new to 7 and I skipped vista entirely.

12. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    My cleanup would clean built-in windows 7 drivers yes, if you answer Yes inside the cleaner when asked on begin.

@commonly

Hmm, Testing here there 10.7a hotfix drivers. These seems to be ideantical to v10.5a. surprise surprise. I honestly wonder did they change anything else than profiles..

-UPDATE-

Nope they patched the dx9 and worst way flickering possible, but here we go.

I build an 'no reboots' patch.. for Starcraft 2..

Updates:
    - OpenGL 4.0 (I improved it a little so it allows at least some over clocking)
    - DirectX 9 update for StarCraft 2
    - Application Profiles Update 30.7.2010

+ Patch back to good DirectX 9 (When you ain't playing Starcraft 2 ;P)

works with all setups.. v2.91, v3.70-v3.71 Single/Multi Monitors <what ever>.

ZippyShare Mirror 1
    SendSpace Mirror 2
    MD5: 1e07a1f98d6a327624518c370734a46e

If any EyeFinity/Quadfire people gets any fun out of 10.7a hotfix let me know. Looks like pretty sad driver as far I can see.

-UPDATE 2 - EyeFinity/2-4 GPUs-

According couple people here reporting something really impressive over QuadFire setups. Seems pretty impressive driver for DirectX 11 scaling as for atm reports. BF:BC2, Dirt 2 seem to have increased at least as for atm testing reports very much.

Looks like at least something good came out for these ATI high-end customers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  13. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    The hotfix drivers seem really good for dx 11 but yeah like u said Def some processing prob on the dx9 side

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    hrm, well. I quoted the first page stuff out anyway. Until I get my builds to same level. I can see the processing issue. So, that's ok as long they have allowed the scaling through DX levels I am fine with that.

Thanks for all the reports. Gonna take a look on this one probably tomorrow.

@commonly

Probably have to fix that patch a bit on some point or simply add new build. This hotfix even on single card is so damn weak coding and 'StarCraft 2'
    again is CPU bounded engine. I wonder how did ATI came with the idea that when they lower the processing
    through they could improve this kind of game. Perhaps, applying the AA made them do some compromises.

I can fix it to do clean job, but the problem on my patch is the environment I am using on drivers here is just
    a notch different and needs the loading fixed to process 100% through (no worries they ain't officially even close). :3eyes:

Anyway, added the 'StarCraft 2' patch to Main/First Page. It comes with couple other updates while at it anyway.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    TwL which driver is it that you said should fix the crossfire problem for us people who can not get crossfire working with anything newer than 10.5a??

You said in an earlier post you had a driver that fixed this issue...

Thanks.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No, still got the driver to apply 15% Underscan on every Windows boot.
    Performance wise the 3.70 is better for DX10, so switching manually atm. until I get fed up enough and roll back to 3.50.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Even CPU bound engines can perform better if graphical enhancements are forced towards the GPU.
    Check out Warhammer Online as example.
    I know it sounds weird, but it actually release CPU resources doing just that.

18. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    For people who don't play SC2 would the best driver (single card/monitor) be

1) 3.70 and then the new patch for SC2/updated profiles

or

2) 3.70 alone

Cheers

19. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I have a question. If I install DX9 "patch_back_to_good" from SC2+OGL4 Patch over 3.70, will it affect not only DX9 but also 10 and 11 perfomance?

20. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    That would be the v3.71, BUT there's the new 10.7a hotfix you wanna try clean official. It provides quite an a jump according to QuadFire people under
    DirectX 11. however, same issues as on my build 3.71 will continue even worst under DX9, but I think 10.7a is still a worth a shot on these systems
    comparing to 3.71, if playing DirectX 11 games.

As for now I cannot offer an solution to CFX people until I have taken a better look on 10.7a drivers.

Please explain, I have never seen an GPU driver which would process better while the processing through to CPU is decreased (like 10.7a hotfix or even
    worst case scenario 10.8b5 which is pretty near 1/10th slower). When we allow better CPU utilization we allow CPU bound games to work better leaving
    GPU as an lagging component, but that still will allow us to run the game itself faster.

I provided the patch generally for people who play starcraft 2 to it to function with AA, but I included a bit fixed OpenGL 4.0 modules and profile
    while at it. Ideally anyone here should patch and then use "patch back" I created which restores much better DX9 pass through for gaming in general.

The patch itself affects DirectX 9-10. restoring the good modules from "patch_back_to_good" simply patches back the good DX9-10 modules which
    was "broken" to correlate SC2 AA effects. "patch_back_to_good" still will leave behind ATI updated Application profiles from 30.07.2010 and new
    OpenGL. Which will allow little betetr Overclocking on OpenGL & perhaps some new games while using catalyst AI be processed better.

-edit-

If you are asking because there's an huge improvement for CrossfireX/QuadFireX people under DX11. Answer would be 'no' the
    improvement is not entirely on components. Same solution could probably be applied to my build v3.71, but I don't think we should be using this setup any
    longer as at least some of the code base are updated under the 10.7a hotfix release and that should be improved to the level of our build 3.71 on next release and not another way around.

@commonly

Would be very tempting to build an true StarCraft 2 drivers after this hotfix. I mean there's drivers which would allow clean up few times better processing
    on CFX to single cards and that would make 10.7a look like a toy more than an 'fix'. However, whole driver for one game? bah, I think I'll let ATI deal with
    their crap their gonna get slammed really hard on this anyway by look of how these 'fixed' works in what they try to fix.

Although, of course CFX people are happy with new DX11 modules, but that still ain't gonna help the 'hotfix' to hotfix starcraft 2 where the driver is meant to be working.

There would still be an though behind, if I would to fix the drivers as I could same while try to improve the DX9 a notch which ain't too bad anyway on
    current drivers, but could use a performance boost which would improve the (v2.91) v10.4a drivers up to date here and get myself a better working DAO or GRID to play.