Apple Cinema Display 27-inch available in September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Some will love em some will hate them fact is these are good monitors alright. Apple slipped it will start shipping a 27 Cinema Display in September. This new LED-backlit has an IPS color precise panel...

More...

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    This is my dream display. Everything I could have wanted in a display is included. The 24" one is probably the best thing I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot! IPS+LED=expensive, but it will make you...
    [​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html
    Although it says 12ms response time...I will test this out ASAP when we get them at work.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yeah i've always wanted the 24" version. but the $700 dollar price tag always made me shiver :(

4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    While the Apple Cinema Display is great what I'd really want is a sleek, LED-backlit 27" 2560x1440 TN screen without all the extras that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

1080p isn't an upgrade for me, from my current 1280x1024 setup, and I'm not a graphics professional so I couldn't care less about color gamut, USB hubs, magsafe connectors, displayport connectivity or what-have-you.

Samsung, are you listening?

Hello?

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    lol, ate a grape and I jizzed in my pant!

6. Rizzla

Rizzla Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB
    I hate Apple, but gosh darn they make awesome screens.

7. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    actually going to a 1920x1080 or 1200 screen is a huge upgrade for you.

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    No, it really isn't.

1080p is 56 more pixels. 1920x1200 is almost impossible to find these days.

Horizontal space above and beyond what I currently use, two 1280x1024 screens, is pointless.

What I need for productivity is more vertical space. I do work, just not graphics work.

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Have you seen 24" 1920x1200 IPS screens from HP and Philips? You can find a few "affordable" models. 24" Apple screen is a ripoff in my opinion

I'm also a little puzzled why there are news about Apple products, and noone mentioned 30" HP screen, which is fast, produces great image, and costs $1.3k.

Regarding 27" Apple display - it looks pretty interesting, especially 2560x1440 IPS for $1k, but I guess they'll cost 2x more in Europe. I couldn't find any info it the screen is reflective or matte. If it's non-glare, then I think it would be worth considering for people with a little more $$$ to spend, but if it's glare, it would be pretty much useless.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It's a monitor, it doesn't charge.

I would love two though.

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The monitor charges Macbooks.

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I don't really look at IPS monitors, I don't need anything beyond TN. Especially not the price.

Even the TN panel of that size cost upwards of twice as much as the 1080p equivalents and I simply can't justify the expense for a minor upgrade in vertical pixel size.

I'm eagerly awaiting 2560x1440 TN panels though, eventually they'll get around to those. Hopefully before my current screens die.

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The problem with big TN screens though is poor viewing angles. The bigger the screen, the more obvious it is which is probably why there aren't that many of them around.

14. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hmm, wouldn't a bigger screen mean it's less of an issue rather than more? As in you're more likely to sit in a relatively centered position when facing a 27" rather than 22" screen?

Not that it personally bothers me anyway, I'm somewhat nearsighted so I tend to sit rather close to the screen.

15. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Nope, because then you are sitting at a wider angle compared to the edges of the screen. Your eyes aren't 27" on the diagonal so you are looking at the edges of the screen on an angle. The bigger the screen, and actually the closer you sit to the monitor, the greater the angle, the more the TN effect comes into play.

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    so put one in portrait mode 1080x1920 :p

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I've had this exact debate three times now, almost down to the exact posts, so you'll have to excuse me if the humor is a bit lost on me by now.

I even chose my own wording accordingly, "Horizontal space above and beyond what I currently use...", not that many screens allow portrait rotation to begin with.

For me, personally, 16*9 is pointless on anything but a TV. So is 16*10 for that matter but I'll settle for either as long as the vertical resolution is given enough of a bump from my current 1024 pixels.
    I do get that bit, absolutely, though I can't even imagine a screen big enough to make that an issue. Or sitting close enough to one of that size to notice.

My current screens are two 19" TN models from ~2006 or so IIRC and if I sit as close to the desk as I possibly can I can easily move a meter up or down the desk and still see the edge of both screens just fine.

Even if I touch my nose to the center of the screen text and imagery at the edges come out fine, not that my eyes can actually focus enough to read it at such an angle mind you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Some of those TN panels though have absolutely abysmal vertical viewing angles, like 10-12 percent off axis is enough to start really degrading quality, and in larger monitors they're especially prone. With how cheap eIPS panels are I see zero reason to not spend $50 more to get one versus the issues associated with TN panels.

As for this monitor, I was most shocked about the price. The Dell is $1100 and the NEC is $1400. Apple? Cheapest? How did this happen?

19. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    I have a 24" TN that sits in my closet as a backup monitor because it has the exact issue that we are talking about, the different parts of the monitor look different because they are at different angles from my eye, it drives me crazy.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    tho for some really fast paced gaming alot of people don't like IPS panels at all but i checked finnish etailer the apple display is out of its league unless you own apple products to use with it kinda for being overly pricey.

but weirdest thing is the old 30" cinema display that costs 1848€ here with 400:1 contrast, 16ms response and nothing going for it. But it's really old model there is coming something new? :eek: