What would I need to make a 120MM Fan hole in the top of my case!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Mad-Man, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    I had to remove an exhaust fan on my Side panel when I upgraded to a new CPU cooler. The cooler is a Thermaltake Contact 29 with duel 120MM aftermarket fans from thermaltake. So when I did what I did the system started to run a little warm but not overheating. So I am trying to figure out what tools or items I need to make a 120MM fan hole in the top om my Enermax Staray case so it may exhaust the heat better since I now only have one exhaust fan in the back of the case now due to the size of the new CPU cooler. So what would I need to add a fan to my Case. Any and all help would be a big help. Also I will put pics of my case below and the ling to my case to so yall have an idea of what is looks like. Here is the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124132. Thanks.

2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    4 3/8" hole-saw will work well. :)

3. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    I can get the whole saw cutter but what should I use to protect the case finish it self. Should I use masking tape or painters tape to protect it.

4. Rizzla

Rizzla Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB
    Painters tape should do fine :)

5. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Using a cd for a 120mm template is always handy, but i prefer to cut my holes out for a 120mm fan at 110mm.

Masking tape is fine yes.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Or 120mm fan grill :) dremel with cutting disc at 45 degree angle can do it too.

7. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Good idea,#

I think i got so used to now having access to lasers and cad, ive lost some of me old Skool type skills.

8. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    As long as you have a good pilot hole ready to go and keep a steady firm hand on the tool, this method should yield you a good clean hole if you go that route. And if you do have a minor slip, a wire fan guard and/or filter assembly can hide the area around the hole. Also, if you use a lubricant for the hole-saw, make sure it wont harm any finish by testing a small spot somewhere not easily seen.

9. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    Thanks yall. I got a 120MM template from a website showing me where the holes are suppose to go for the fan screws and where the center part of the 120MM hole is gonna go.