Overclocking Phenom II 940 using AMD overdrive (STRANGE?)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Sal Paradise, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Active Member

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    I've just downloaded AMD overdrive, and I've noticed that at stock values all the multipliers are set at x15. The HTmultiplier is also placed at 9x. The only thing that hasn't been maxed is the HT. Ref clock, which is at 201Mhz.

Remember, this is all at stock values; I've not changed anything. I also tried benchmarking the CPU using AMD overdrive, and my result is around 6700. Is this normal? Certainly the score should be higher with all the multipliers at such a high level?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    15 is the right stock multiplier....U should read the Phenom overclocking guide in this forum section...its a good one. I think mine is set to 17 without any voltage changes and it runs great at 3.4 without any issues.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You could probably get to 3.4Ghz easily, [I'm currently at 3.4GHz with 1.35 volts, HT at 10x multiplier], bump up the voltage a bit and you can do 3.6Ghz, easily. Read Psychlone's guide on phenom overclocking.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. Sal Paradise

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    The problem is, it won't let me push the multiplier any higher than x15. I guess I will have to raise the voltage, but I'm not even sure where to start.

If I raise the voltage, do you think the CPU will have a significant increase in wattage use? I only have a 530w PSU, and I also have a HD 5770 installed, which is slightly overclocked.

5. Sal Paradise

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    I changed the multiplier in the BIOS to x16. However, I didn't make any voltage changes. Does this matter? I ran the AMD overdrive stability test, and recorded an average temperature of around 55c at 100% load with stock cooling.

Also, what does the HT multiplier do? Mines currently at x9. Should I change it?

Thanks!

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    The AOD stability test is crap - don't use it for an idea of stability.
    Use Prime95 instead to benchmark for stability... Then use Linpack to benchmark for CPU heat - nothing heats up a processor like Linpack, but don't trust Linpack by itself for stability as I've seen many, many machines pass 10 passes of Linpack then fail in the first 3 minutes of Prime95.

I should probably say that using a software program (AOD) to overclock your processor, isn't really true overclocking as the software is taking care of a bunch of variables for you. I use AOD to test out different settings, but then make the actual changes in BIOS. You may or may not have more options in BIOS than AOD allows, but here's the catch: AOD *may* have values that your BIOS doesn't, which means that AOD can write values to the hardware that your motherboard manufacturer has locked you out of - never a good idea!

Use my Phenom Overclocking Guide at the top of this forum...you'll learn more about overclocking, and will definitely achieve a higher overclock than you can with AOD.

Good luck!

Psychlone

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    If you really want to Overclock, first get a better cooler [as 62 c is the threshhold before the CPU shuts down] and we would like to keep the CPU under 50c at load, if possible.

Also, as Psychlone suggested, read his guide as it explains, what you're asking better than I ever could.

8. Sal Paradise

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    I checked the Temps on AMD overdrive; the results I got were:

CPU core 0 to 3: 46 (Idle) 55 (100% Load)

I assume TMPIN 1 is the CPU temp in AMD overdrive?

Anyway, I got around 38 (Idle) and 42 (100% load)

Is this safe? And also, which is more important, Core or CPU temps? And can you tell me what the recommended temps are for both in a AMD CPU?

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Those temps are fine.

I would expect to see TRUE idle in the 30*C range, and TRUE full-load no higher than the mid 50*C range.

Thing is, you're not actually testing TRUE idle or TRUE full-load. I suspect that you write down your idle temp after booting into Windows, and take your full-load temp after running the stability test in AOD....am I right?
    If so, then you need to boot to Windows and let your computer sit without doing *anything* for at least 5 minutes to get a true idle temp.
    Alternately, you need to run Prime95 for 15 minutes OR run Linpack for at least 3 passes to get an accurate full-load temp.

So like I said, your temps look fine - for what you did, but neither your 'idle' nor your 'full-load' temps are even close to accurate.

Oh, and just so you're aware, the thermal threshold on your CPU is 62*C - you breach that and you're guaranteed to be burning up itsy-bitsy little transistors in the CPU...

Psychlone