Xonar Essence ST Deluxe 7.1 Review!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, I know some of you have been waiting for this review.
    Have a look here: Essence ST Deluxe 7.1

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Not of much use to me since I practically always use my headphones. But might be handy for those with surround sound systems.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well the card still has the headphone amplifier.

4. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Sounds good. ..........LOL.

But i think id just like to get the standard ST model when i have the dosh. I only have a pair of Beyer DT660s.:)

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well that is the great part about the card is you buy the ST base and then add on the H6 if you feel you need it.

6. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    I hear what your saying. But all of us that only use cans dont need the H6. So i/we dont need to pay the extra premium.

Great product non the less.:):)

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Which makes it s great for the masses, some will use it with cans and some for surround sound.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Musical fidelity external amp already does that :p In fact I don't use the headphone out but the 2 seperate left/right channels. Both channels remain pretty much seperate until the sound is send from my amp to me headphones basically. The difference in quality is small but it's there.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I always figured the strongest point of this card is the line outs. The can amplifier is nice for the price but many have their own can amps they use with their high grade cans. Although I have seen many use HD650's with the STX or ST internal amplifier.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It works, but to get a decent volume out of it you actually have to select the highest amplification. Either way, those Head-Fi nutheads suggested that I bought the X-Can v3 about 3 years ago and I'm pleased. What still makes me wonder though, at €400, that's considered a "cheap" external amp on those forums.

After a while I started looking into a external DAC but I eventually abandoned those forums. There's always a way to improve your soundquality, but I had to think of my wallet.

This amp did open up the sound alot on my HD650's. Then again, these might be a good pair for me anyways as I can still hear 22kHz, even at the age of 23. I think if I ever tried a Grado headphone I'd probably consider them painfull.

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Thats because they all made outta money so they fiqure you have millions of dollars to spend on external gear. Thats why if you have a budget it best not to go there as they will try to get you to spend 10x your budget.

They tried to get me to spend 10x before too when i was asking about the qinpu Q1 amp, I looked at them like there crazy.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ..they all say they are made out of money but in many cases they don't have the high end gear they would like to have. Some do...most do not.

I always figured this hobby is about getting the BEST sound quality out of the gear you have and possibly upgrading if you think you need it.

13. Kollunz

Kollunz Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    I noticed that the card in the review was a PCI card. Would there by any difference if I purchased a PCI or a PCI-E version of the Xonar Essence card? I'm asking this because my mobo/cpu is a 1156 socket platform with only 16 available pci-e lanes. Just wondering if performance or sound quality would be any different.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    the PCI-E version is the Essence STX and it does not have the expansion options nor the improved timing circuit. The Essence STX is also a great card....there is a review of that card here also.

15. Ruido

Ruido New Member

GPU:
    dell/ inspiron 530s/1GB
    Hi guys, I'm completely new here and this is actually my first post. I have a dell inspiron 530s which is kind of narrow. Do you guys think the Essence ST card will fit the back of the computer. I'm trying to connect this to harman HK3490 connected to a pair of RF82 and a sub.
    Any help will be very appreciated.
    Thanks

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Have a look inside your system.

17. Ruido

Ruido New Member

GPU:
    dell/ inspiron 530s/1GB
    I did, but I'm starting to realize that the slim design of the 530s requires a low bracket. I've been looking around and the choices are...pretty slim.
    Any ideas?

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Forte
    Xonar DX
    Xonar DS

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you wanted to use a PCI card on a non PCI board there are simple adapter cables.