Just purchased xonar dx pce need a bit of advice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Tim_Ca, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    First off i didnt realize a pce e x1 slot was different from the other pce e slots ie 16x. So i put it into my bottom slot 16 physical 4 electrical... is it ok to have it in this slot i mean the connectors on the card dont cover the whole slot lol it just kinda fills the first part of the slot and the rest is left empty this ok?

Secondly when i set speaker properties to 24bit 48000 the effects on the xonar dont work ie environmental, equalizer and such. I found this link

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...X&id=20090703220344656&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

post number 8

he goes on to say this:
    1) downgrade the default format in "speaker properties" of windows to 24 bit, 48000hz
    2) in xonar audio center, put the bitrate to 192khz

enjoy :)

PD: with bitrates above 24 bit, 48000hz on speaker properties, all effects are disabled (EQ, effects, etc)
    I HOPE ASUS RELEASE A FIX FOR THIS!!!

well it worked.. but i mean am i losing sound quality?? if i set the 192000khz setting in the asus panel is it overiding the speaker property settings?? Am i truely getting 192. If not i would prefer to just switch the speaker properties back to 24 bit and forget the eq and rest of effects

can anyone comment on this perhaps a work around? the speaker properties are at the default 16bit 41000 atm and the xonar panel is at 192000 lol so which one am i getting?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For your PCIe question, that is normal. PCIe is a serial point-to-point communication interconnect that means each lane can operate independently from one another. Basically you are telling the slot to only activate 1 of its 16 lanes in that slot (or 4 since that physical slot only has 4 lanes).

deltatux

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    On the Xonars if you set the frequency high, it disables all the effects etc... That is on the Xonar software.

Set the windows panel and the Xonar panel the same...this should prevent any re-sampling.

4. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    Cool thanks delta

5. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    So set the asus software to 192 and the windows props to 192? in this case i will be getting the 192 24 bit rate but with no effect ie gx dolby?. So if i want to make use of these effects set windows to 16 bit and xonar to 41000hz? sorry i dont even know what resampling means.. What settings do u recommend for the card. Im on audio engine a2s btw.

Its like whats better the effects at a lower rate or a higher rate without effect?

6. Tim_Ca

Tim_Ca Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gtx
    I feel like an idiot for buying this sound card.. im coming from an xi fi xtreme music... what a dumb limitation on the xonars part

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There isn't exactly alot of media out that at 24/192.....

Set the xonar for bit perfect or resampling....

Mainly you will be dealing with 16/44.1 or possibly 16/48...set the software accordingly.
    This just prevents resampling....you can set the card higher and the card will resample to 24/192 but you are only adding zero's.
    your choice.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010