Did NVIDIA cripple its CPU gaming physics library to spite Intel?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Denial, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Read the rest at:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...cpu-gaming-physics-library-to-spite-intel.ars

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    They have a website mocking Intel! What did you expect :p

The competition between Nvidia & Intel is worse than AMD vs Nvidia. But that still doesn't justify what they've done.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I agree with a lot of the commentors on the ars page. The technology behind Physx was old. They are aiming to use a newer instruction set in release 3.0 and changing the architecture could result in many bugs for the developers currently using Physx.

I really don't think Nvidia cares that their software doesn't perform well on Intel CPU's but I also don't think they did it intentionally.

4. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Whatever they do, heavy PhysX-enhanced titles still need ppu for max performance, hence it all doesn't matter to me. No software is perfect, no corporation is fair. That's the world we live in, so why bother? :p

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    o yes they did.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    How can you be so sure? wasn't ageia working on their software like early 2002 so makes sense they used x87, cause sse wasn't so widely used an quite new back then.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    they need to come out with a new version hands down.

deltatux

8. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    boll*x, Nvidia cant say they didnt do this intentionally,if they didnt why do they block heavy physx for ati users and why cant we have the same effects for intell/amd cpu's? Its not like our cpu's are underpwered, its obvious its a marketing scam, NVIDIA= ALL YOUR PHYSX ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!!!!

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Lol :wanker:, Ageia made their physx to run on their hardware like way back in 2002 before widespread use of SSE an used x87 code path. Nvidia are graphics card company, so it's not in their interest to optimize physx to run extremely well on cpu's since theirs nothing in it for them. Why waste their own $$$ an resources to make physx run well on cpu's, they don't make cpu's.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Basically, I don't think there's any reason most GPU physx games can't do their effects on a quad core of 6 core processor. I just don't see why. All of Red Faction Guerilla is done on the CPU with Havok and the physics in that game are beyond anything.

Smoke, maybe, I can understand. Smoke has a lot of particles and to make it behave extra-realistically, it would have to be heavily multi-threaded. But stuff bouncing around a room? Come on, a few extra sparks coming off a ricochet? These things are easily doable on the CPU.

There needs to be 3 options for Physx games. Basic, Heavy, and GPU.

Basic is normal stuff like moving boxes, Heavy is sparks and maybe some additional stuff laying around that can be moved or kicked or shot and GPU needs to be for the real hardcore stuff, like Cryostasis' water or Dark void's Smoke.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me the most important question about this matter is:

Who cares about Physx???

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why is that even a question? Nearly half of newly released games that run 3rd party physics run PhysX. It's a technology that looks like it's here to stay for quite some time and is probably the most advanced physics platform out (for gaming), not to mention it's completely free to implement.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    C´mon there are only a handfull of titles tha use Physx and the use of it his almost insignificant, it´s just some "special" effects that have no influence on the gameplay.

So for me, Physx, for now, doens´t really matters.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Every Unreal 3 based game uses PhysX, alone that's more than a handful - not to mention others found here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You don't know what Physx is. Physx is not JUST GPU acceleration.

Physx is exactly the same as Havok. It's a ready-made physics implementation that can be put into a game at low cost/easy configuration.

Physx has the option of GPU acceleration, but not all games require or even use it. For instance, Dark Void, Cryostasis, Metro 2033, they use Physx regardless of whether you have an Nvidia GPU or not. However, if you have an Nvidia GPU, you'll get a few extra effects.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    If NV really hates Intel that much...explain the Ion platform to me. Had no other choice other than to use atom? they make Tegra arm, so i'm sure they could license x86 architecture and make their own CPU or go VIA or PPC.

but regardless, sounds like its too much money to invest R&D just to make sure physx does poorly on INtel cpu's on purpose.

17. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Surely Intel can pay game developers a bit extra to avoid Physx

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    but only these require hw acceleration,
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

still nothing special... half of those games are pos anyway:bang: lol

and its obvious they crippled in and made it singe threaded, or it would compare to gpu levels at some points.
    cpu phsyx in Cryostasis is caped at around 13-21fps, i bet if it where multi threaded and in real x86 code those numbers would be much much higher.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The article isn't about GPU acceleration. I'm fully aware there are only a few that support the GPU. The point is, there are lots of games that use PhysX and can benefit from having a modern day code base and there will be more in the future.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    are you serious? NVidia bought Ageia for quite a large sum of money... took over PhysX and implemented it into THEIR Cuda architecture (and as far as i'm aware offered PhysX to ATI, who didn't want anything to do with it)... and you're wondering why they blocked access to ATI, when people were paying out the yang for an ATI card and getting the cheapest NVidia card they could get just to run PhysX? It's not a marketing scam. It's no different from a copyright/patent. Why spend an insane amount of money getting somethign working that you paid an insane amount of money for so your ONLY competition can use it for absolutely zilch? Protection of assets.... not "marketing scam".

Two words.... Crysis: Warhead. or just plain Crysis. Granted the latter was relatively shoddily coded.... but Warhead ran rather well in comparison.... but still at low framerates, and has NO PhysX or hardware-assisted physics for that matter. Yes... it had awesome physics interactions (and some glitchy ones... like being able to rather frequently get the top of a tree to stay in the air).... but did you ever notice that once all hell started to remotely break loose, so did the steady framerate?