nVidia 257.21 black screen issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pcforum1, Jun 30, 2010.

1. pcforum1

pcforum1 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 260 896MB
    nVidia 257.21 black / blank screen issue

hi every1! this is my premier post and its a negative :3eyes:

the latest driver 257.21 causes my screen to stay black, after the driver is installed and rebooted XP.

It goes as far as the loading up scrolling bar of XP before deciding to stay blank, which i left for over 30 minutes just to see what happens.

I have to hard reset and boot into safe mode to remove the driver then use driver sweeper to remove all parts of nvidia.

currently im using 197.45 which is superior (faster in some games) to the driver I had previously which was 195.62

anyone else had this same issue?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    I want everyone to post info on this too...Have had this twice on 258.69 driver..SLI GTX260 (SLI Hack) 2048x1152 rez, only one monitor connected. never problems with other drivers.

Screen goes black, but continues to work....played a game yesterday...ALT + F4 + power off to reboot.

you say 197.45..lol..the same driver I first installed on my Win7 install...

3. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Never had black screen with any driver ever.I have got BSODs, but never black.

4. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    The scrolling bar of XP?
    There's no scrolling bar on the desktop. Did you mean the Task Bar?

5. DriztDo

DriztDo New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 260 896Mo

HeLLo
    Same issue here with Vista 32 and same procedure.
    I wonder if it's the 896Mo on the graphic board which is badly recognised.
    @@++
    (sorry for my bad english I hope you understand)

6. DriztDo

DriztDo New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 260 896Mo
    HeLLo
    I think he was talking about the animation of Windows at the boot-up of the system. I have the same default.
    @@++

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Upgrade to Windows 7

8. ed6698

ed6698 Active Member

GPU:
    pile of crap
    I am running 258.69, every so often the black screen will happen to me. Happened just earlier when I tried to run heaven 2.1 Screen turned black and I let it sit for 10 minutes, had to do a reset.

9. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I've had a couple of black screens with these drivers as well. I've noticed they seem to happen for me when a program starts up in fullscreen at a non-native resolution. If it's something that I can manually edit a config or .ini to change from the the non-native to the native resolution, then I no longer get the black screen.

I like the performance of these drivers, but this is a little annoying. The real kick in the rear is when I have the black screen, sometimes it won't let me alt-tab out, alt-f4, etc. I'm forced to push the power button. But, as windows is shutting down, I can see the desktop again before it powers off- but by then it's too late to stop it :3eyes:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  10. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Same here cant get out of it have to restart just randomly goes black:bang:. Im using Windows 7 64bit also.

11. Ekar

Ekar Member

GPU:
    Geforce 570
    I can confirm the black screen bug with drivers 258.49 and Windows 7, 64bit.

My gfx card, nVidia 8800 GTS 512.

This has happened a couple of times in the last 4 days or so. Quite random. Like the others, there seems to be no other option but to force a reset of the system. It seems to enter 'power save mode' just prior to blacking out, although my power save settings have been set to never sleep. Never had this bug before with previous drivers.

I'm pretty sure this driver required a modded .INF for my card to work, but once again, no problems in the past.

12. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    i can confirm NO black screens ever with any driver and ive been using 258.49 quadro and tried all the other sets with no issues with black screens all on w7 x64 , only thing i do different is use prefer max performance in nvcp maybe try that it still downclocks as in adaptive

13. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    I have had this happen multiple times with 197.75, 257.21, 258.69..It happens to Me after playing a game for a few hours straight or with high ambient temperatures..soo my black screens I believe are not a driver bug but temp. based. I have had a few games start with a black screen before I configure them in- game for the right res. But I would keep an eye on PCB temps and see if that's a contributing factor. Look for them getting up into the mid 50's or high 50's which is when I believe a chip on the board (not the gpu/core),ram, or voltage regulator on my card is getting too hot and it's activating a overheating protection feature and cutting the output to the monitors. I can still hear sound butctrl, alt del., alt -tab or alt -enter doesn't do anything and have to shut down manually. All games that start with a black screen i can alt tab or alt- enter to go into windowed mode and easily fix it from there. I now make sure Ac is cranking if its a hot summer day..I have my 470 now watercooled with a Jimmy rigged DD Maze 5, ramsinks..and a dual fan slot cooler blowing directly down on the top of the card. Watch those Pcb temps in something like afterburner though. Again just my observation on my card..so now it doesn't happen at lower clocks,( 700 core / 1800 mem) but higher clocks (800+) it will happen after about 5 hrs plus of Bc2 :) So I'm gonna hold off pushing it to the max till I get a Ek block.
    ^ Smith10120 Your core clock is pretty high..unless You are on water, watch Your temps too man. Your memory is too lol I sure hope You aren't using your stock cooler.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  14. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    My temps are fine 70C playing BFBC2 but now i cant play multiplayer it loads than says ive been kicked from game or crashes to desktop wtf.

15. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    70c with a stock cooler at those clocks? Are You serious? You must have the fan @ 100% @ 50c, serious AC or a basement set up. :3eyes:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010

16. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    Black screen twice today, quickly pressed Alt + F4 to quit game and wait for gpus to change from 3D High Performance clocks (using Logitech G15 LCD + EVGA Precision to show GPU clocks) : Screen goes to normal at that exact moment... happens with 258.69 and 258.96, and never before. Never even heard about this problem before it happened to me...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  17. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    I like these Drivers so much but I hope the next driver releases fix this new annoying black screen problems. I have had it happen to me today while playing Farcry 2 and MW2 weird never had this issue before. Not only that sometimes it blackscreens and I have to do a hard reset. reverting back to 257.21 fixes the problem for me. I even reduced my OC's to stock clocks still nothing with these 258.69 drivers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  18. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    Fixed my black screen issues by setting performance from adaptive to maximum but still one GPU does not downclock but at least the issue is gone.

19. Gottex

Gottex Guest

GPU:
    3080Ti
    same here, 257.21 gives me black screen after 30-40 min watching a *.mkv movie ... also it can happen while in SLI when you are just idle in desktop after 20-30 min

I'll give it a try

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  20. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    i was running the 257.21 whql english vista x64 driver for long time now with NO issues in SLI with the hacktivated driver.

anyhow i decided to upgrade to the 258.95 vista x64 driver and started to get that black screen.

believe it or not i was reading this thread and got the black screen then too.
    before i had got the black screen when i played bfbc2 right after i installed the driver.

then i came here to make a post of my results about the 258.96 and also seen this thread so i figure i would read it and as i was reading it i got the black screen...

omg!

anyhow i reverted back to the 257.21 which ran absolutely perfect for me....so i hope i dont get the same problem you guys are having with it.
    if i do...then the new driver messed something up.

anyhow hope nvidia gets this straightend out.