ATi 5970 ES 10.2-10.6 no work

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Karkid, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    Hi guys i have a very early ES 5970 card, trying to get the latest drivers running on it

currently running 9.12 and i think i can install 10.1 but anything after that it crashes after windows boot logo

Now i tried the EnableULPS thing but in all the folders controlset1 or 2 my EnableULPS is already 0!

ANY HELP PLEASE
    [​IMG]

2. poltia

poltia Member

GPU:
    xfx 5970 2gb
    hey, i have same problem dude, i still not solution :(, tomorrow ill go to shop to test my card in another mother board. im runing on 9.5 drivers and works perfect but still want update to 10.* hehe.
    if u know what is the solution pls tell me ok, also i tell u if i know solution.
    see ya gl

3. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    anyone????

4. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    So here's something guys, Basically what i Did was Boot up into safe mode disable one of the 5900 series in device manager boot back up into windows and install the latest beta 8.742 posted on the site here... the install went through fine on these unlike it normally just goes black however coming back to windows after restarting it was still blank screen. I turned it off and turned it back on it loaded for a second and went blank again ... so i thought PROGRESS!

So booted back into safe mode and checked my controlset002 but enableULPS was still 0 already, however in ControlSet001 it was 1 so i changed it to 0 and added the PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature with the value of 1

got back into windows enabled the second 5900 series, got back into windows now the messed up part is that Control Center will not launch :s, so i Checked GPU-Z and it says atiumdag 8.7.42.0.0(Catalyst 9.12)/Win7 X64

so is there any other way to check if i am infact running the latest beta's ? and what can i do as for the no Loading of the control center?

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    try v10.3 WHQL it should work. basically 10.3b would be ideal(or modded build v2.91 from me on other topic), but those won't work on Engineer Sample cards or I doubt. So best bet would be v10.3 WHQL from ATI/AMD pages (updating DirectX etc etc is of course possible to these).

This would be the newest possible driver which has any chance of functioning. They changed to new style on v10.4 WHQL and last old build which these cards still would be working is v10.4b, but alas again that's not for ES cards, hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    Thanks for the advice twl so which version of yours would work with the es card? Also why are the es cards not supported?

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    The controls won't work on ES cards on anything else, but clean base of driver. Same with OEM. and as I said none of my driver mods would work (best bet on
    there is definedly v2.91 build which is proven good, but I still think even that wouldn't work at least not without VendorID/DeviceID). I can however mod an proper updated build, but need to understand what works on ES first.

Try as I suggested above ATI/AMD official Catalyst v10.3 WHQL would be the best bet.

-edit-

Seems my mod does actually have your card Vendor ID and Device ID. Just checked it out. Perhaps that v2.91 might work after all properly on
    that card (if it's the same as GPU-Z screenshot on first post). It's a good driver might be worth a shot.
    (if you get this use the 'Extras UPDATED - v3.24' it has better clean-up file and only needs 1 time pass as instructed on the page. HERE)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    Why not trying to dump the orginal bios, and flash to a retail bios (if the card doesn't look much different hardware wise), or better yet, just use a bios editor and edit the VID to match a retail card of your choice.

Or keep editing driver .ini files to make them install :p

9. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    Where I can I download that version twl?

10. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/30353-wtf-want-flash-5970-es-2.html

this guy tried flashing his ES card and he bricked it :(

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    for the moment v3.17 will serve you.

2.91 is out from the page as it was old and 3.17 was tested with 3 monitors + 4 GPUs to be functional.

as for official check the AMD pages, but I still suggest as I said trying v10.3 WHQL.

12. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    DON'T flash the BIOS on engineering sample or OEM cards! The memory controller is different than the release versions of the same card, and this different memory controller polls those 2 registry entires for something (unbeknownst to me) whereas the retail versions don't.

Here's my original thread on this very subject from a few months ago:

I found the solution.

So, here is a breakdown of what finally worked for me:

1) Install whatever Catalyst version that you can that you can boot all the way into Windows with

2) Use the CCC Software tab to determine which ClassID string is used for the 2D driver

(Open CCC, click on Information Center, then Graphics Software)
    [​IMG]

Here you can see 2D Driver File Path - this is the important part, so drag the slider over to the edge, adjust the stopper at the end of the "Value" line at the top and keep moving the slider until you can see the end of the string.

It will look like this: 2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet002/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

The final 4 digits after the forward slash are the important ones, as there will be multiple numbered folders in there, so make note of it. In the case above, it's /0000, but yours may be /0001, /0002, /0003 or higher...

3) Boot into Safe Mode (if you need help booting into Safe Mode, you shouldn't be attempting this fix)

Now, we have to enter 1 registry DWORD and change 1 DWORD value in the Windows Registry, so this becomes a Windows Registry hack...

4) CREATE A RESTORE POINT

**ANY time you work in the Windows Registry, there is a possibility of rendering your operating system useless, so ENSURE you've made a restore point BEFORE proceeding**

(if you need help figuring out how to make a restore point, you probably shouldn't be reading this post and would benefit from taking your card and computer to someone that's comfortable working in the Windows registry)

Ok, now that you've got a restore point to fall back on in the worst-case scenario, let's proceed.

5) Go to the Start Orb and type REGEDIT, hit enter. This opens the Windows Registry Editor. (remember, we're still in Safe-Mode!)

6) Once inside Regedit, navigate to the following area:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000 (or if the last 4 digits in YOUR Software tab in CCC are different, navigate to that folder instead of \0000

This is what it will look like inside Regedit at this specific location.
    [​IMG]

At the bottom, you can see the exact location you should be at.

At the top right, I've scrolled down a little bit to the first place we need to make a change.

7) Double-click on EnableULPS and change it's value from it's default of 1 to 0 (zero, not "o") then hit OK.

8) Then, right-click in an empty area in the far right, and choose NEW > DWORD (32bit Value)

Name it PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature and give it a value of 1

It will look like this when done correctly:
    [​IMG]
    NOTE that these two tweaks only need to be done in the folder that YOUR Catalyst Software 2D Driver File Path exists in...mine is 0000, but yours can be in any numbered folder inside the main path of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ...just remember that BOTH of these tweaks need to be in the folder that's specific to YOUR install.

That's it.

After rebooting, you may install whatever version of Catalyst drivers you like.

I've done some fairly extensive testing, and have concluded that this 'hack' makes the cards that were having issues installing newer driver sets, work just like every other card out there.

Apparently, SOME cards out there have a different memory controller on them, and for some reason, polls those 2 specific areas in the Windows Registry for no good reason at all. The one entry that doesn't exist (the one that we created) is more than likely the one that hangs the driver from loading all the way into Windows, as the card is looking for something that doesn't exist.

Anyway, good luck to all - I know I'm a happy camper after getting this thing running correctly!!!

Remember - YOUR 2D driver path may differ from mine, so just ensure you're in the right place in the registry. You *may* have to make the changes in folders 0000, 0001, 0002 and so forth, as well as within CurrentControlSet001, etc.

These tweaks were supposed to be implemented in Cat 10.5 and higher, and since doing the tweaks, I haven't had to ever do them again, so I can't tell you that the tweaks aren't already in the newer Catalyst driver sets - but if you guys are still having these issues, then apparently my source wasn't as accurate as I had hoped.

Anyway, good luck!!

Psychlone

13. Karkid

Karkid New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5970
    Update!

So i'm not sure what or how, but i've got TWL's modified Drivers Running version 3.50 i believe, Just wondering is it normal to not have any ATi Overdrive Option?

Here is a Screenie do my results seem normal?
    Yes i Have a 6Core ES xeon and NO Cpuz isn't picking it up

Do these Results seem right for Stock 5970?

[​IMG]