Nvidia stock down 45% in 2010

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Chernobyl, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Sure is bad times, and going to get worse, as there hobbling of PhysX which everyone knew about, has finally come out to :D

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT070510142143&p=1

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19216

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

2. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Oh look... it's that thread again... ATI owner posting negative stuff about Nvidia :p

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And Nvidia users claiming it's not a big deal, what else is new?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah this is crap, I bought about 1000 shares of this when it was $17 a share, I got raped. Was really hoping Fermi would bring an increase, not a decrease in stock value.

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Honestly yea I don't care much. "If" Nvidia is ever failing someday, you'll see me switching to consoles only and not build gaming PCs anymore. Simple as that.

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I wouldn't even consider touching a chip stock for a long term investment.

There's way too much risk as moore's law is scheduled to slam to a halt before the end of the decade. We're already seeing the effects on CPU performance. Today I can game comfortably on a 5 year old CPU and uncomfortably on a 7 year old chip; if you tried the same thing in 2000 you'd be playing on a Pentium 90 or 486 33mhz instead of an Athlon 1ghz T-bird.

Ceteris Paribus by the end of this decade a similar problem should be staring gpu makers in the face.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    There are several ways to extend Moore's Law, although it won't really be the same anymore as the rate of change will be different. There may be a slowdown for the next few years, but several new ideas are being considered.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That is a function of developers not using the full resources available to them.

The CPUs that double performance are available, but the adoption rate isn't extremely high.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, and its also amazing to me that BP hasnt hit $10 a share yet :wanker:.

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"

11. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Agreed! Dam i wished i had a nvidia card. Be more proud to say it!!

12. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Don't worry, I'll say it for you :) It really is badass. Only we, the ATi users, knew it for sure since Metro 2033 release - it had CPU-processed multi-threaded PhysX and it ran as good as on PPU.

13. Moricon

Moricon New Member

GPU:
    2 x HD5850 875/1175
    Yup, Nvidia will get back on form next generation around.. look at Ge-force 5 series, bummer, then came 6x much better.. ATI as well has ups and downs..

Dont think this will break Nvidia though, they have diversified just enough to keep strong in my eyes!

14. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    How did i miss this. I have to play metro.

15. Tranzmit

Tranzmit Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 7970 X Turbo

16. ApexiTT

ApexiTT Active Member

GPU:
    780ti Sli
    They'll get back up.. reminds me of the fx to 6800 they were hurting bad then too. Maybe they'll come out with a kick ass card this next gen.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The high end GPU market (Fermi) has little effect on Nvidias bottom line, hence stock price. Nvidias bread and butter are their lower end discrete GPUs as well as other products (ie, ION chipset used in many products from Apple Macbook to HP netbooks), and chips for micro-devices, smart-phones, etc.

Its not unusual (even for highly profitable companies), to witness huge stock price swings, especially in volatile segments of the market like hi tech. The stock price for many companies can be way out of synch with their actual performance or profitability. Speculation, expectations, market forecasts can all weigh heavily on the stock price. As was noted by someone else, Nvidia has been profitable all along. Their stock is simply in the volatile segment of the market which can witness greater up/down movements over a brief time than other stocks.

So its just laughable to see the 'Fermi fail' argument as a reason for the stock downturn.

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Soo, if nvidia fails , you rather buy console than ATI Card ?

You know how it sounds ?

Because we do.