Nvidia stock down 45% in 2010

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Chernobyl, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    (sorry if this is in the wrong place but i have no clue where to put it)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-10-biggest-stock-losers-so-far-in-2010-2010-07-02

Looks like Nvidia has been taking some serious hits this year because of Fermi. Hopefully this will make them realize they should rely more on performance per $ and on making a superior product instead of just paying for driver optimizations

Oh wait, it's Nvidia...
    Yes, i am biased.

2. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    45% holy **** if I had nvidia stock I would jump off a ledge O_O

3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

The 10 biggest stock losers so far in 2010
    nr 1 Nvidia

Well, ATI/AMD have been (are) in worst situation.........

I don't think they are that bad, but yes, makes you think ab what happened with Fermi and all the new ATi releases..........

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Now might be good time to buy since it will go back up :) Wait till tegra lands alot of money to be made with that, didn't Nvidia estimate tegra market would be more than they ever made from 2002 till now in graphic cards sales alone.
    Also 45% loss means their more prone to hostile take overs :wanker:. Intel could pop on in an just buy them out right.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    is this source reliable ? 45% seems allot, especially for a company like Nvidia

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  7. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=nvda

Let me see if i can find 12 month change

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Bad times for the green team. Problems with TSMC and low adoption rates thanks to the 5000 series. It happens... remember the 8 series kicked the hell out of ATIs 2000 and 3000 series.

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

[​IMG]

Without the whole finance/sales/profit scenario this means almost nothing

-66% hit in 5 years

/edit

In 5y scenario , they are making + growth

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  10. ibitato

ibitato Guest

/edit

3y run

[​IMG]

little or no change

AMD it's in the same boat, but volume it's almost X2

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ibitato can you change the nvidia into 5 years plz , its now 3 :D

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

FIXED

Good call, in 5y scenario, they are improving by 8%

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

in 1 yr scenario

AMD it's doing really fine

[​IMG]

nVidia it's down the hill

[​IMG]

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So i got a question for you experts, would this make them drop their prices a bit ?

15. ibitato

ibitato Guest

nope

It will have an effect (prices) for sure in performance (company perf) but it's only part of the stategy .......

Let's not forget that AMD got a sh1t load of money from lawsuits last year so ......

Stock markets are really complex ; product pricing is only part of the strategy..... we don't know if nVidia is paying profits to share holders or not, nor any other movements they might be making that can affect stock prices apart from (real) market pricing and positioning ........

16. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Interesting... Whether they're downhill or not is still doubtful, one thing we can be sure in - they're forced to do something about those numbers in the nearby future which means more opportunities for customers.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't think its really a big deal. Every company has their good and bad times.
    What they really need to do is stop rebranding their previous generation cards as newer cards and just concentrate on new technology.
    I think it would be really interesting if Intel bought them out though.

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Honestly, I wouldnt say this means much of anything. You rarely see a stock like this relate super close to how good the release of a product is. Normaly stocks like nvidia go up while the excitement is building for a new product and then drops right after its released.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I smell a good business oportunity for those who have some spare cash that they donĀ“t need for the next few months. With a 50% value loss, they should be cheap to buy and with the imminent release of their mainstream and budget cards scheduled for back to school period together with their new DX11 mobile parts plus Tegra, the stocks will surely rise to their previous values.

By the way, for those trying to make any sense of the reason of why stocks are worth what they are just leave it. Stocks obey more to the laws of psicology, sociolagy and pure madeness than to actual logical or mathematical reasons...

20. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Exactly.

I bought a few stocks about 6 months before gas prices in the US went up to over $4/gallon.

When gas prices were that high, the stock in my US companies fell dramatically, even though the companies themselves has nothing to do with the oil industry. The reason I think this is amusing is because the company that I bought stock in was releasing a new product, and the new product sold very well, but regardless, stock prices fell.

Oh, and this was also shortly before the banking crisis.

(I am not trying to defend Nvidia, I am just trying to make a general point. I could care less what graphics card people use.