NVIDIA 258.69 Beta is out!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chinobino, Jun 29, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

64 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

36 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

31 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. judicator

judicator Member

GPU:
    PNY 3090 RTX Revel
    Only issue I've had so far is Bad Company 2. There seems to be some clipping issue where the screen will occasionally go all black (like i'm in the dark but game still running fine), but if I move then it will go back to normal. Not sure if this is a bug with the game as they did just release a patch, or with the drivers.

Everything else has been fine over the last couple of days though, no freezing etc. Other games run great.

*went back to 257.21 can't recreate this problem, was happening all the time with 258.69*

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. orionstar2009

orionstar2009 Member

GPU:
    8800 gts 640 OC 641/1080

yes why not !!
    with 257.21 was it great and enough for me

3. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    He got a point, a Geforce 8800GTS is not really fast Enough for Nvidia 3D
    Vision, you have to set almost all to low in Games to have 3D play ok.

And a Geforce 8800 GTS is almost as fast as a Geforce GTS 250, so you have
    to do your home work a little bit better AlcapwN.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How do you get 3D Vision from a 8800GTS lol

3D needs about 120fps to not give u eye strain, or at least 60fps to look decent, im sure it possible, but i can only think that games would look like the original Tron in 3D or something, but without AA, so i suppose its possible, if not really ideal.

I will be waiting till i have at least one GTX400 card before trying 3D, especially after suffering bad eyestrain at the Imax while seeing Shrek4.

5. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080

Sorry but you do NOT need 120FPS to run 3D Vision OK, you need a 120 Hertz monitor to play 3D Vision, not 120FPS.

But if you want to play 3D Vision good you need a Geforce GTX400.

<30 FPS very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS average yet very playable

40-60 FPS good gameplay

>60 FPS best possible gameplay

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Where did i mention that you needed it hardware wise, 3D is possible at any framerate obviously, and most movies get by with 24fps, and i think they run at 48fps, but you cannot compare movies to games, if you could, then non 3D games would look ok at 24fps, which we all know isn't true.

I love 3D as much as anyone, but for the average person to experience it in the best quality, without eyestrain, then 120fps is the ideal.

7. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    Better than previous drivers !

These are good for my GTX 480 ! BFBC2, noticeably smoother. Crysis Warhead an extra FPS here and there. Definitely better than 257.21.

8. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080

First i was talking about Games in 3D and then this is best:

<30 FPS very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS average yet very playable

40-60 FPS good gameplay

>60 FPS best possible gameplay

And with movies also in 3D you only need 25 FPS.

I have 3D movies and they only go 25 FPS.

If you Play in 3D, you only can see MAX 60FPS in 3D the 120Hertz goes to
    60 Hertz per eye, so even if your GFX Card can give you more then 60FPS
    you only can see 60 FPS in 3D.

If you not use 3D then you can go up to 120FPS with a 3D Monitor, NOT
    more, the GFX Card can go higher but not the Monitor.

In addition to the possibility of the screen for the geforce 3D vision to use a 120 Hz screen has still an advantage. With a 60hz-screen you will never see more than 60 frames per second (fps) can hold. Even though calculates your graphics card easily double how many fps, the screen shows never more than 60 fps. for most gamers is this more than enough, but not for everyone. Please primarily rapid games play, such as ‘ first person shooters ’, have to 60 fps not enough.

Here you can read the hole Review: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcomputertotaal.nl%2Farticle%2F661%2Fnvidia-geforce-3d-vision.html&sl=nl&tl=en

It's translated from Dutch to English.

9. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

120FPS and 120Hz are totally different...you can have a game running at 2fps but still have a refresh rate of 120Hz...

but you are right about the 120Hz being split to 60hz for each eye...but you can still have a fps of anything for it to work..it make take a while for the image to change (slow fps) but it will still be displaying that image at 60/120hz...if you needed 120fps then you wouldnt be able to see static images which have 0 FPS!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Which is what i said, if 30fps is ok for anyone at the moment on a 2D screen then 60fps will be ok on a 120hz 3D screen, but if your used to 60fps then you will need the card to render 120fps (60 for each eye) to enjoy the experience without eye strain.

11. claudluciffer

claudluciffer New Member

GPU:
    manli gtx275 896 MB
    CMIIW about stereoscopy

CMIIW, i think on stereoscopy, you need at least a game and rig that capable rendering at least 120 FPS (without activating stereoscopy).

When you enable stereoscopy, performance dropped by half, which mean 60 FPS, where the other half? actually, the card render same scene, but a little bit different point of view, assume on camera positioned on place 1, the other camera a little bit off to the right by 1.5 cm.
    each camera generate their own scene position, and each rendered 60 FPS, in computer this slight different is another processing power, because the size of scenery is about the same, so processing power for each scene are almost the same. so there goes half gpu processing power.
    after that, these scene rendered separately, and interleaved, there all total of 120 FPS needed to be rendered, e.x : first the right eye scene, then the left and so on until 120 FPS rendered, but still for each eye can only see that its only 60 FPS. but still, you need a 120 HZ LCD, cos there only one tv, and there are 60 FPS for each scene (120 FPS tptal, unless you have 4 eye, then you require 240 FPS).

60 FPS is arcade like frame rate, smooth, less eye strain, and can suck you in to the game :biggun: , the most importantly, frame rate is consistent, to prevent tearing on LCD, best that keep using Vsync

12. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

thats BS...ya dont need 60FPS for each eye...you only need 60hz at any framerate..look at the nvidia 3D Vision Preview pack..they are static images, 0FPS..yet you can still see the stereoscopy in action

120hz is needed for the glasses to be able to switch one lens on and the other off 120 times a second, the monitor needs to match so it can display say the left eye image for 0.01667 of a second then switch to the right image for another 0.01667 of a second then back again..in sync with the glasses

you could run 1FPS or 100million FPS it wouldnt matter, stereoscopy will work as long as you have the 120hz switching of glasses and refreshrate..

just look at red/blue glasses, that eliminate the need for 120hz because the glasses dont switch...you can view static images just fine, you can watch 25fps movies or you can run a game at 20000fps...

the amount of frames being pumped outta the card isnt what creates the stereoscopy, its the switching of the glasses and the refreshrate of the monitor..if this wasnt the case, why have 3D glasses been around longer than nvidia?!! (back when video cards where slow compaired to todays standards. And dont say better 3d glasses technology, coz they are all based on the same tech that was around over 10 years ago)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can some of read the posts before posting.

NO-ONE is saying you need 60fps for each eye to get the 3D effect, just that for most people who are used to gaming in 2D at 60fps, this would be needed for it to be an enjoyable experience.

Low framerate 3D gaming will cause most people to get eye strain very quickly.

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    So is it possible to get 3D Nvidia Vision with 60Hz TV ?, because i don't want to move from 42" Big to ugly 22"-24" just for 3D, cause last time i tried Red-Cyan with Prince of Persia the sands of time was just AWSOME INCREDEBLIY AWSOME, yes the effect was truly really impressive and realistic.

Is it possible to get the Nvidia Glasses and hook it to normal 60hz lcd ? Cause i really want it , it will sure be better than Red-Cyan Glasses ! i don't care of anything else, if it runs better than Red-Cyan it's better than anything cause it will be even better.

15. Silviu

Silviu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI
    PC becomes unstable and i have to restart it when playing 2 youtube videos especially when 1 is at better quality 720/1080. I tryed with a full windows install with this drivers, same thing :)

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Why everyone has problem with flash ? do you have the newest version ?
    \
    First Uninstall it using the uninstaller and make sure no Internet Explorer,Chorme,Opera,Firefox are opened. CLOSE THEM ALL

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Then install it.

Adobe Flash Player 10.1.53.64 final

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/adobe_flash_player.htm

17. Silviu

Silviu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI
    I did a FRESH windows install ... first drivers then Adobe flash
    You have version 10,1,53,64 installed
    In Mozilla Firefox with 2 youtube tabs 1 at 720p or 1080p and pc almost crashes . I can hear music, can`t moove mouse or the image is frozen :)
    Now i already reinstalled windows again with 257.21 driver and i will keep it this way until next beta/whql but thx for trying to help!

18. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    The flash player system crash problem persists with this beta driver.

19. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    With a 120hz 3D screen you have twice the same picture for every eye
    (60Hertz), so you can only see with Nvidia 3D Vision 60FPS not more, only if
    you run the games without Nvidia 3D Vision on a 120Hertz monitor you can see
    120FPS and not more, you can see less with a 120Hertz monitor.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  20. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

thats where you are wrong...framerate doesnt cause eye strain, you just need to look at static image to understand that, there is 0FPS!
    ...but low refresh rate does cause eye strain, thats why they have pumped it up to 120Hz (60hz for each eye) older active glasses were lower Hz, causing people to get eye strain...

geeze...just goto a pc with a CRT monitor...wack a picture up on the screen...then go drop the refreshrate below 60hz ...welcome to the world of flicker/eyestrain!..there is no FPS involved, but you will get eye strain after a while (i have a friend who has had epileptic fits caused by a CRT with low refresh rate, yet that person has never had a fit when her games are running low fps if the monitor is set above 75hz)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010