Fan issue - 8800 GT.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cityhunter0505, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Cityhunter0505

Cityhunter0505 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GT
    Long story short, it seems like my video card is slowly dying.

I've had FPS issues for the past few weeks, and yesterday, I've had my first crash while playing MW2 (monitor going to sleep). After a restart, computer seemed fine, and turned it off to go sleep.

After turning it back on few hours later, the graphic card's fan speed started at 100% (4800RPM), and stays that way all the time, even on the desktop with nothing running.

I had to grab Riva Tuner to turn the speed down to 50%, even though the card doesn't seem to overheat (it's usually around 64°C, be it at 50% or 100% fan speed).

After another crash this morning, the PC didn't want to restart at all. Few restarts and a few minutes later, the PC starts, and the fan speed is back to normal (30%), so I disabled Riva Tuner. Later on, while playing WoW, the fan speed increases to its crazy 100%, and the PC crashes 5 minutes later.

It's now back on 50% fan speed with Riva Tuner, and I'm out of idea as to what's going on with this card.

Any help appreciated.

2. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    No idea really. I hope for your sake that your card isn't dying...
    I just discovered that the reason for my 880GTS freezing up in games such as Farcry2 is because its overheating. I grabbed a copy of EVGA Precision (free) and just manually adjusted the fan speed to 65%. Though the PC is a bit more noisier now, I can live with it.

3. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    The odds are you need to clean the card, for my 8800GTS 640Mb this was pretty easy process to do. Take the plastic cover off and remove all the clogged dust between the fan and the heatsink fins.

Reduced my temps by over 10%.

Zoozer

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Maybe the temp sensor is wrong and the heatsink paste has gone off.
    Replace it anyway, thats always improved my temps even when the card is new.

5. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    Thx, I'm gonna do just that ;)

6. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    So the main thing to note is just to remove the plastic cover screws (dont remove any of the screws on the other side of the card as you dont want to detatch the heatsink from the board (GPU and RAM chips).

In my case my screws were here:

[​IMG]

If you have a plastic sticky cover covering the screw holes you can peal them back a little to undo the screw, and then just clean the fan and heatsink out.

Kindest regards

Zoozer

7. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Ph@ntom, did you clean the card in the end? did it help you?

Zoozer

8. _Franky_

_Franky_ Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX670 Twin Frozr OC
    My old BFG 8800GT OC was always running pretty darn hot when I was still using it as my primary card. Check your load temps, mine sometimes ran around 90C without any fan speed adjustments. Make sure your thermal paste has not dried up. The card usually automatically shuts down at around 100C to prevent any damage from overheating.
    You could always look into buying a different cooling solution and apply some Arctic Silver 5 when doing the switch. I installed a Thermaltake Duorb on the card along with the mentioned thermal paste and it lowered my load temps by at least 20C.
    The card now idles around 41C at a room temperature of 25C.
    Load temps stick around 60C ~ 65C.

Let us know if cleaning the card helped.

9. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    Hey Zooze I havent yet cleaned my card but did notice another 5C drop under load. Reason for that is because a cold front has passed over my country and its freezy cold. The cold ambient temps do also help keep my unlocked AMD nice and cool. This weekend I'll have good quality time to clean out my entire case. I found that using a hair dryer actually works really well, blowing out fluff and dust. My girfriend's dryer has a switch that deactivates the heating element, so cool air blows out. It worked pretty well a while back. :p
    Guess I'm gonna be surprised after discovering all the build up in my card after 2+ years...

10. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Yep it will be a lot of dust thats for sure :)