ATi Catalyst 10.6

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. airblazer

airblazer Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2x 5870 1GB
    I was getting random crashes on Bad Company2.
    Went back to 10.5 and all's well again.

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    ATIs new drivers are utter garbage to me and tons of others. Why can't they do it right?

3. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Just use drivers that aren't a problem? I've gone back to 10.5's as these stutter in Dirt2, all is well again.....

Its no biggie, its the beauty of software development, you fix one thing and inadvertantly break something else sometimes. To test every single game out there properly for problems would take hundreds of guys months, so it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.

4. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    totally agree, it's not like 10.5's are bad, if the 10.6's dont work for you 10.5's will, and im sure 10.7's will be better.

5. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT

Pray to god 10.7 is better.

I have to deal with 10.3 for right now :bang:.

6. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    easy...no need to jump on cd's now!
    you still have the internetz you know!
    And to be honest, the 10.5 with hotfix are the most stable drivers.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Has anyone tried the LEGO Harry Potter demo with these drivers? For some reason the demo works fine until I leave the first room and then crashes after the second cutscene, the bit where Harry throws up a red light and the cutscene is about to return you to the game.

I get a "LEGO Harry Potter Demo has stopped working" error and a crash to the desktop every time so I've never been able to get past that bit. At first I thought it was because I was forcing AA on using the BiAHH profile in RadeonPro but it still crashes without a profile so it can't be that after all.

8. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Piece of **** drivers for my HD 4670 stupid DRM overclocking restriction 2d improvements my ass.....:biggun:. ATI get your head straight or get ready to pirate. Fuc*ing idiots .......

I love ATI catalyst 10.4 WHQL drivers so much better than this everything comes alive and silky smooth sexy driver.:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    "get your head straight or get ready to pirate"??

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    No issues here. BC2 and Medal of Honor beta run great. :)

11. neoedo

neoedo Member

GPU:
    Sli EVGA 980 Superclocked
    I just installed (re-installed..trying to fix another game I was using 10.4a with).
    I used 10.6 from ATI website and the Crossfire profile (dated June 23 even though it still says 18th on the site).

So I jumped into BC2 just out of curiousity with the lag on the loading/menu people are talking about. To my surprise, yea, just like Ghosty everything ran perfect. Smooth frames, no lag, no lag in smoke, no menu frame drop, etc.

I play with all settings maxed, 8xAA and 16xAF, V-sync/Trip-buffering @ 1980x1080.

Maybe ATI made a revision and didn't tell anyone?

Either way I wanted to report my experience with them (again, I had gone back to 10.4 because 10.6 "where" crap....not anymore though)

12. H.A.M.mer

H.A.M.mer Member

GPU:
    Asus Matrix HD7970
    Cat 10.6 are the best drivers for my sys until now.
    Although I never had serious problems with 10.5 and earlier I experienced an annoying bug which was known and caused by crossfire according to ATI:

When crossfire was used there was some kind of rare screen-corruption in some areas in games like bioshock 2 under win 7. This effect looked similar to screen-tearing when vsync is not activated but shows itself in the upper third of the screen.

As of 10.6 drivers this bug is officially fixed and completly gone on my system.
    So while others might avoid these drivers especially with crossfire, I can recommend it especially with crossfire.

Guess this is the beauty of software-development ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry... are you saying that the 10.6 drivers on the AMD website are different from the ones released earlier in the month? Or just that the application profiles are (because they're dated 23rd June)?

I installed the 10.6 WHQL drivers from a few weeks back and updated the application profiles to those released on 23rd June (from Rage3D.com) but I'm still seeing bad framerate drops during BFBC2's loading screens. It seems to dip to 2 fps before the game screen appears, causing the transition to appear slow, but otherwise the framerate is fine once the games starts.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, actually the 'framerate drops' in BF:BC2 has quite little to do with profiles. they seem to be bad driver functionality while the 'function' game asks is asked from driver. (Like you would ask 'what should I do about thing A?' and driver answering 'how the hell should I know.'). The new profile is only to improve the general FPS not really the jump on game effects which is a bit sad.

I actually try'd to fix this came damn close too to near zero rate drop on 10.6 (and 10.4a), but the problem came up on how different setups handled the driver I build which was tested mainly over an single card system and not passed to testers first, sadly. Atm, I build new edition based on 10.5a with faster twist than 10.6 official could even dream to be on processing. However, on single card systems this ain't 'ideal', but it's still hell a lot better than official solution.

15. neoedo

neoedo Member

GPU:
    Sli EVGA 980 Superclocked
    Yea I meant the profiles are dated June 23rd when you look at the download link. But I did grab both driver and profile from the AMD site.

So far so good. I didn't do anything different between the last time I tried 10.6, while using 10.4 and yesterday reinstall of the 10.6. I'll keep y'all updated.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Would someone be as so kind to up App Profiles dated June 23rd as they have been taken off ATI website. Clicking the link now greets you with a "file can not be found" message.

EDIT: Nevermind I found them, the wonders of google :p

here is a link if anyone needs them

http://www.mediafire.com/?5nbzmwmmrwj

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  17. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    i tried 10.6 on gta BOGT and damn during certain segments into the game it would freeze and slow down terribly. No matter what i tried and i had just played it smoothly with 10.5 preview earlier. Therefore i said that's it uninstalled it and reinstalled 10.5 preview. Replayed the game and it's smooth again.

18. Rodaxx

Rodaxx Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290x DD
    after installing 10.6 Wow feels more stuttery imo, also does BC2
    don't know if it's the driver or the bios upgrade of my mobo

€ it was the bios ;D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  19. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    Why does Avivo Converter crash everytime i try to use it, im gonna smash this card up in a min i swear......:cussing:

20. DeadLine

DeadLine Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD7970 Ghz
    Running these drivers for some weeks now and every time i'm in a game and alt tabbing or pressing windows button the next minutes my pc is getting a bsod. Also sometimes my 3d profiles is getting reseted and its very annoying. This is my third X2 card but there need to come better support in games for these cards. Running both gpu's with 30/40% in a game and i'll ready know that my card isn't working 100% like it must be. Thinking to leave the X2 version's next time and going to the single gpu's again.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010