GTX 480 vs HD5870.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FeNiX23, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, very true, some a biased fanboys, but most just like what ATI or Nvidia cards do for them personally.

Two weeks ago, i was browsing cards, and had a 5850 sitting in my basket and was about to buy it since i was really excited about the idea of a cooler, faster card with HD audio support, then it hit me i would be losing driver enabled AO, game profiles and PhysX in Mafia2 which i have pre-ordered, as well as not knowing if ATI will have 3D gaming sorted when i get my new TV, i panicked and instantly removed the 5850, deciding to wait a few more weeks or so before making my mind up.

There is no better or worse card, only the one which suits your own needs and wants the most.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    radeon pro is adressing game profiles. driver enable ao? is that a biggy?

plus mafia2 sounds fun...but that's one title m8. i just dont see that many to merit using physx as a viable arguement. plus it hasnt been done all that well.

i do concur dx11 titles arent filling me with joy either, that might change.

metro though am liking in dx11 and i agree with physx as well that has to be a lot of fun. but it still isnt a major selling point for me when buying a game.

bottom line for me is the extras nvidia has atm dont outweigh the cons. i would agree with you if the price was £50-100 cheaper. It might not matter to some and whether you really think physx is worth it but i have seen it/played with it in a few titles and it isnt worth losing sleep over.

I'd rather not have a hair dryer on while gaming and have at the back of my mind i could perhaps fry an egg on my gpu. whilst that might not bother some it does me for one. :)

havent heard to much gripe regards nvidia cards re heat/noise/perf so at the end of the day i think the op would be happy with either...

but if we are being really objective and trying to save him some cash ati has won this round. it's that simple and doesnt need over-complicating :)

am working nr a lot of hot things atm and it's summer. last thing i want to come back to in the evening is a hot pc!!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    In that case so should heat and power as if you are spending $400.00+ on a video card, the extra few bucks on your utility bill or proper ventilation (which you should have no matter what card(s) you own) likely isn't going to bother you.

For budget cards/systems, it's ATI all the way. I can't argue with that. For enthusiast systems, it's really a question of personal preference, they are both great cards.

As for heat:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1888

And the conclusion page that pretty much says it all:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1888&pageID=9227

The heat issues were exaggerated by sites like SA tbh. The 5870 is a great card, no doubt, but this insistence on using non issues to try and justify ATI over Nvidia while totally ignoring ATIs own shortcomings is ridiculous. I don't even think PhysX is that great but it is an advantage whether you like it or not.

Buy what you like, enjoy what you buy :D

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    what ati shortcomings? i dont have any issues with game perf and driver.

in fact most of the games i like run much better on my ati cards than my 295 did.

but let's not go there as i dont see the driver issue as being worth discussion. both camps have issues with certain games and they are usualy fixed just depends which are sooner than later..

e.g total wars ran like crap with sli for many months..although i think perf is improving.

saying the heat n noise factor isnt as bad as some have said or its over-exagerrated is all very well. fact is its worse for nvidia.

sure either card will be great but i think the op was asking about price v perf and cons plus advantages.

i will re-iterate again. you could ignore nvidias faults if it werent for price. thats the bottom-line.

if you arent bothered by saving money buy nvidia if not go ati as they are best bang for your buck.

end of discussion? if there was ever any need...? :)

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    RadeonPro isn't an ATI, or a game developer suppoted solution though, having to use 3rd Party software to do something as simple as that does nothing but make me more frustrated with ATI that they don't/wont make this built into the drivers.

Driver enabled AO is a biggie for me, every so often a new driver adds a load of new games that this can be forced on, usually older games, being able to make an old game look better with no worry about losing performance is a very attractive feature that ATI really need to think about working on if they want to entice Nvidia owners over.

With PhysX there is also APB, U-Wars and Shadow Harvest, not much, but better supported than DX11 at the moment.
    Honestly though, PhysX is less of an issue as i could use the GTX260 as a PhysX card, but then the heat/noise/power consumption benefits of the 5850/5870 goes disappear, as does the price difference since i would lose the money from the sale of the 260.

As i mentioned in another thread, my present card idles at around 55-65c, depending on the room temp, always has, and this in Glasgow of all places:wanker:
    Idle noise is far more important to me, its only when gaming that the Nvidia cards get hot and noisy, and anyone who see's the speakers i use, and the volumes i game at would know fan noise won't be an issue.

I'm only trying to explain why i don't think ATI is a good choice for me, not tell you or anyone else to choose Nvidia.
    I know you are very happy with your present setup, you have no reason to change, but you have to look at it from my point of view.

If i went ATI, i would spend £230 on a 5850, but lose 3D gaming, driver AO and Cuda video and gaming features, i could keep PhysX, but then i would lose the £60 i have been offered for my GTX260, so essentially the 5850 now costs £290, and my PC now has a higher power draw, and more noise and heat than a GTX480!!

Or i could get a GTX470 for £270, keep 3D, driver AO, Cuda features and PhysX, as well as selling my GTX260.
    So now the GTX470 has only cost me £210, £80 less for more features, better performance, and less noise/heat/power usage than the combo setup.

Not saying that applies to everyone, but for my personal situation, its a no brainer.

Apologies for the wall of text, it appears football beers make me chatty/typey:wanker:

6. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    His PSU can take his current rig with a 5870 no problem. But it'll be impossible for a GTX 480. GTX 480 ~ (approximately) uses double the power of the 5870. Slightly less power than the 4870X2.

7. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    Not true my friend. I only picked the 5870 due to budget, if I have the chance I would love to replace my 5870 with a GTX 470 or GTX 480 card. I need Tessellation and Physx all though Aegia is not THAT bad.

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    sure redemption if you have specific needs thats fine. but for me and am sure for many, old games dont really interest me and physx isnt a deal winner either.

there arent any driver issues for me and ati. idle temps and noise are great and they are the cheapest.

if you want to save money buy ati otherwise buying 4 series nvidia over an ati card is almost lunacy in my opinion.

sure if you need cuda but for your average gamer and i'll include myself i am not interested in any of these things like ao/cuda/physx etc. i want speed, less power draw with lower temps at a reasonable cost and good xfire stability.

i am not saying nvidia cards are bad per say. well i am not impressed with anything that doesnt improve on its predecessors in all areas. i wont buy another ati card unless it improves on my current setup or vice versa..(re everything).

well perhaps if there is something big released in terms of a new physx for example..

i got my setup after sometime chopping and changing and for its nice to have something now i can at least keep till the next new cards and even longer.

if i had got a fermi and then nvidia release something better with less heat and noise i would want to change again. am sorry and am sure others like me want a product that delivers in all areas not just in a few.

we deserve that as a consumer no? :)

it's up to nvidia now to produce a much better series next time imho...

as you can see ati 5 series hasnt been affected much by price drops at all. that suggests to me one thing..they dont need 2!

(edit) japamd radeon tool is a godsend. have never enjoyed gaming as much! really usefull and can easily change profiles.

for the first time have been whacking on vsync and d3doverider with great results in xfire..napoloen is running with zero lag on ultra!!! 1st time in many a rig/build have managed this...(better late than never eh?)

(although metro i dont use it due to fps drops).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. DeadLine

DeadLine Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD7970 Ghz
    Didn't read all of this topic so maybe this is already proposed.
    The 5970 is about even priced as the 480 and i think cheaper and also 20% faster so maybe you can see for a 5970.

10. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    So, we can safely assume you don't use Rivatuner then, as you don't like non-game developer developed solutions to things that should be included in drivers anyway. Also, can we assume that your frustration with nVidia will lead you to buying a third brand?

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    On a sidenote for people deciding between ATI or NV, 120Hz is still messed up on ATI. Though the majority of people on guru3d don't seem to care about 120Hz screens :p

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep thats correct! am guessing still 2 expensive for me a 120hz screen? Havent they only just come out anyways? :)

13. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    They've been out for about a year and a half at consumer prices but only in 22", the 120hz 24" are more recent I think. The whole point of 120hz is nvidia 3d stutter based goggles though.

14. FeNiX23

FeNiX23 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
    Anyway I'm building a completely new rig so the new card will run on another machine.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    While PhysX is nice, it isn't game changing. And the tesselation argument is moot unless you only plan on benching, since a 5870 can munch through any tesselation actually present in games at the moment (yay for flags). This could change in the future, but with th current state of "consolification", I would not bet on seeing it any time soon.

Frankly, I see the GTX4xx series as a failure, at least from what nVidia wanted, expected, and lead us to believe. It is the fastest single GPU card out there, but it is stupidly hot, noisey and power hungry. I would sooner spend an extra hundred on a waterblock for a 5870 and overclock the stink out of it. It would still run cooler and be less power hungry, and the performance gap would be insignificant.

Take a look at Asus' new stock 5870 for a really good buy (review on OC3D); 999MHz on the core with stock cooler (which is the normal stock cooler but copper with a bigger fan) and second cheapest 5870 they could find at the time as well.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep boyo. i think i got the rev 2 stock card as it looks diff from my 1st. i think it runs cooler than the original.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I do use RivaTuner, but only for temp monitoring puproses and d3doverrider.

I would still use Riva no matter which brand of card i had, my point was that since i personally don't want to have to use third party software to do something i feel should be a standard.
    For the people who use Nhancer, this would be less of an issue, but i don't use it, nor do i see me every needing to.

Payday is 5days away, and im about 90% sure i will be getting a new GPU, and im about 80% sure it will be the GTX470, if i had an HDMI Home Theater receiver, i think the 5850 would of tempted me over, but as i said before, unfortunately it will cost me more to go ATI, so it would be madness to do so.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i stand to be corrected but both camps use 3rd party softeware? wasnt nhancer is/still an example of this?

19. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Yes but he ignores that. So, ATI are bad for using third party software but not nVidia, who have more third party software made for them. I don't understand the hypocricy of it but it's his view of the world.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, NHancer is, but its an add on for greater control over the existing Nvidia profiles, it isn't necessary unless you enjoy fiddling with every setting, the driver CP is more than enough for everything more day to day, its not like i have ever had to rename an .exe file to force AA etc...

Liranan, you talking your usual nonsense i see, you need new material.
    How am i a hypocite, when i don't use NHancer?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.