Help! I need convincing GTX480 is a good buy !!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Marlec, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780GHZ Editio
    ATM i have a GTX295 but i am a bit cheesed off with SLI, i find it a lot of hassle for a small gain.

I would like to buy a GTX480, for me the most important thing is minimum FPS NOT maximum. I see so many reviews showing max or avg FPS but wat i want is a card that will play my games without dipping under 60 FPS, i also like max settings :p althou i dont need to go crazy i.e. 1080p with 8AA or even 16AA is overkill.

From the small amount of info around the web i hear the minimum is quite good with GTX480 is this true ?? with my current card i dip just way too much with games like GTA 4 & Assassins Creed 2. will a GTX480 give me a stable 60FPS ??

I really need to know for sure before i go and spend 500 euro`s on a new card.

2. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    Buy one! As payment for my help send me your 295 :D

3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Why you need convincing? I didn't even need some for my 470s :p

Best cards I ever owned. SLI scaling is spectacular.

4. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    From my understanding, the 480 is not only the fastest card it also has the highest minimum framerate in the tests where it is shown.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

5. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Yea thats wat i mean but it would be nice if some of the guys here with 480`s could confirm it especially with those games i mentioned.

6. [ODB]

[ODB] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800 GT ULTIMATE SLI
    wait untill the gtx485 fermi with 512sp comes out it will be worth the wait

7. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Yea the scaling is worth the hassle on the these cards but i dont have enuff cash atm to buy 2 plus a new 1200W PSU

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Doin`t expect a huge jump in performance coming from a 295. I would wait for the next round from nvidia. If you want a dx 11 card now get the 480, if direct x 11 is not important to you wait like I am doing

9. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Ok, I have both a GTX 295 and a GTX 480, both are good cards.
    Tested them in the same rig and guess what in DX9/10 they are about the same.
    The GTX 480 always has a better average frame rate though and feels smoother.
    The IQ on the GTX 480 to me looks better. All this GTX 480 is hot and loud stuff is sh1t.
    The GTX 295 is in my opinion louder at desk top and on load.
    The GTX 480 gets a bit hotter but not by much. By the way I have had this 295 from day one 8th January 2009.
    It’s been a good card but I would not go back. For me one card and no SLI is the way to go, buts that is just my opinion.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The IQ on the 480 isn't better.

I wouldn't upgrade to a 480. At a minimum, I would wait for a 485 or whatever they call the 512 Fermi variant.

11. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    have you owned 295, I have! and still do, the IQ is beter! on the 480

12. koko

koko Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2070 GTX
    Well Its a god card but its very noisy specially with the fan at 100%. I never have pass the 92º C even with Metro 2033 and the fan at 75%. My last card was a 8800GTX and the temps where very similar and i remember reaching the 99ºC playing metro 2033 but its was a hot day. My room temp is around 25 º C now in summer. This card with wc its very good.
    I heard there is going to be a new release from nvidia but i dont know when.
    Its your choice but im very happy with mine.

13. Davy1shoe

Davy1shoe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3090ti
    Hang off and get a 490 thats what i plan to do i have heavy overclocked 295 and looking at test that have been done moving onto a 480 just now would be a waste so im hanging off for 490.

14. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    How the hell did you ever get the fan to 100% in a game. Please tell me how!

15. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    I've owned a GTX295 previously, it was a good card. But i always felt some issues with it. Either unoptimized games, framedrops, inconsistent framerate, low fps in GTA IV, input lag, uhmm... overheating and crazy noise.

The GTX480 on the other hand... its a frigging charm to have. I seriously was skeptical about the upgrade, but after playing with it for a few days my heart was won over. No framedrops, no microstutter, no overheating and much lower noise. All that with higher overclock - mine is running at 850/4400 from 700/3700 stock, thats very significant OC if you ask me. All that with 1.075v, all the owners will tell you these are great results!

My friend, if you have the money and the will - then go and do it. Sell your GTX295 asap, as i did. So in my case my upgrade was not that expensive hehehe... :)

16. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I went from the GTX 295 to 2x480 (which I l.o.v.e!!!), but I wouldn't have gone from the 295 to one 480. Noise and temps are pretty similar, and so are in-game figures. Sure, it's less of challenge around drivers since it's single chip and games like GTA4 run much better due to twice as much vram, but apart from that you are not getting much for your extra buck. All the talk about IQ is very subjective. The IQ on the 295 was good, so is the IQ of the 480. Unless you are big on DX11 games, I'd save the money until the next refresh comes along. Or grow a pair and go SLi! ;)

17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    As it stands, GTX 480 is not a worthy card. True it will give u great performance and a slight edge over your 295, it will also give u a much better physx chip. But it makes a hell of a lot of damn noise. Like a jet engine taking off whenever you play a DX11 game and the card is under load. It will also run at 92 degrees under load. Which to me is unacceptable, even for a vanilla cooler.

The GTX 480 AMP by Zotac has a much better dual cooler which runs quieter and keeps temps to around 77 degrees under load. Even so, if i were you i'd wait till Fall this year when Nvidia will most likely release their Fermi revision cards (GTX 485 and 495). Those new cards will most likely have way better coolers.

18. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    It's confirmed here.:) Mine idles at 37c and never gets over 78c under load. Fan speed never gets beyond 70% for me which is tolerable.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  19. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    So your confirming that AC2 & GTA 4 does not dip under 60FPS on high settings ??

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Wait for the 512sp version.