Utah firing squad executes convicted killer

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ScaryClown, Jun 18, 2010.

1. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Personally I don't like death sentences. By the time you do all the math involved (automatic appeals, extra security, and other differences with someone on death row) it's usually cheaper just to keep someone incarcerated for the rest of their lives.

But I'd be more in favor of hard labor (preferably something that benefits society.) Jail, death sentences, etc, are designed to try and prevent people from doing illegal things/harm to others. Certainly it doesn't work out very often (i.e. someone says, I better not do that because I could go to jail for x amount of time.) But I think if someone knew they would have to spend the rest of their life doing hard/nasty labor it might make them think a bit harder than if they "wanted" to die (lethal injection or by whatever means.)

Basically, killing someone is the end of it. Even if only one person was innocent and killed by mistake, this is enough for me to say it is wrong for everyone. Again, hard labor seems more fitting to me personally. I would rather someone suffer for the rest of their lives than end it for them.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    That is far more like it, but the extreme cases that I have mentioned should not be allowed to live. For the sake of everyone on Earth, if they were locked up under such conditions, they would have to be allowed no contact with the outside world (I remember one serial killer sending letters to the parents of one of his victims, taunting them since he would never reveal where he buried the body. That **** just can not happen), and would not be allowed to have children.

Frankly, I would sooner take death, and while that might just be me, the simply fact is that these people are not safe to have around.

Anyone, however, that is not a serial offender (killer, rapist etc), and therefore could safely be reintegrated into the world safely beyond reasonable doubt, sure, make them pay their way through jail. It only makes sense.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea good points about the sending of letters, this has happened recently over here with a rapist / murderer / peadophille, sending letters to his (I think) 14 year old victims mother, calling her daughter (Who he killed) "Ash" rather than Ashley as if they were so close.

Do the prisons not monitor this kind of thing?

4. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I'm 120% for death penalty.this guy murder people because he thought of killing as a sport and enjoyed it, he even murdered his fellow inmates.imo the death penalty needs to be brought back to better serve justice cause I don't pay taxes to have these kinds of people milking my tax dollars.our justice system is a joke and I think the movie law abiding citizen shows some truth how bs the system is.

5. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I just got this to say.
    if someone tell you: "if you do THIS you will get sentenced to death"
    and you STILL do it anyways then...

wHY THE FRICK DID YOU DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACe

death sentences are there to scare or make people NOT do certain actions
    if someone it still does it then yea.. I say fire away

or something like that =)

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Coz those certain idiots think they wont get caught and therefore will not be sentenced to death

7. llerenaprincipe

GPU:
    well they will get caught eventually

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I think they should be crushed alive by a 10 ton press. no pain just insta-death

And I'm saying that because we'll never get public guillotine ever again :(

9. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    ----First: Death sentence is not a deterrence!
    There are three reasons form murders:
    1.passion - person cant control itself(love,jealousy)
    2.compulsion - same(mental illnesses,psychoses,obsessions)
    3.gain - person knows that he can get caught and sentenced to death but he doesnt care(mobsters,hired guns..)

----Second: On the other hand,if we use the justice system to eliminate anyone,we are murderers.
    So,who is going to punish us?

----Third,why do we lock away or kill criminals?Because we dont want them near us(we are threatened by them) or we want them to learn their lesson and get them rehabilitated or we just want them to be punished and suffer)?
    (vengeance vs justice)
    ----Fourth: Innocent people can get killed,so we are murderers.
    ----Fifth : Harshness of the sentence is based on a law,law created by people who are just as imperfect as we are.
    Through out the history view of the crime has changed(they used to cut hands of the thieves and tongue of the liars)
    Im still disgusted by the public beheading in Saudi Arabia.
    Conclusion:tomorrow they can induce the law that if you are found eating salty snakes you can be prosecuted and sentenced to death.

Killing anyone,even notorious criminals is wrong!
    Dont give me that "my tax money" thing.
    You cant possibly value money over someones life.

And yes,criminals should be locked away,and our tax money should pay for it.

We are not paying for their food and clothes,we are paying for our security!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  10. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    In before the locke :banana:

[​IMG]

11. llerenaprincipe

GPU:
    so killing is bad no matter how it is used you say
    btw I never mentioned tax money

12. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Im sorry you didnt.
    But some people have.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Problem with executing them the day of trial....you end up executing innocent people like Texas did. The entire reason behind the long wait and countless permitted appeals is to ensure the party being executed is in fact guilty.

Back in the days of "trial by day, execution by night" there were countless innocent people executed....our justice system has done everything possible to prevent the execution of innocent people.

Remember....some people lack morals, emotions and/or religion....personally, I understand why the death sentence exists and fully support it's use. I don't understand the issue with "cruel and unusual punishment" for someone being executed though. There is no documented case, where at the time of the murder, that the murderer took into account whether or not his/her intended actions were deemed "cruel and unusual" so I don't think in the carrying out of the death penalty that we should be concerned either. I also understand the purpose of "life imprisonment"....though if you compare costs it's considerably cheaper to execute people than to house them for 50-80 years. I think we should do away with "life imprisonment" and replace it with the death penalty......save money and clear up space in prisons.

14. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Fixed that for you, but the rest of your post is beyond my abilities to remedy.

ETA:
    "Killing anyone,even notorious criminals is wrong!
    Dont give me that "my tax money" thing.
    You cant possibly value money over someones life."

I sure as hell will give you that my tax money thing. You have absolutely no right to say it's wrong to execute murderers then point a gun at my families head and demand money from me to pay for his food.

/edited to remove profanity, I'm going on my 3rd cup of coffee this morning sorry :p

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  15. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    that guy must of had big balls to take that death penatly lol. if i was cop behind the gun i wouldve aim for head n said o **** i aimed lil too high lol

:peng:

16. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I'm still on the ropes about this issue. I REALLY don't like the fact that the government has this option. As we all know the government make mistakes & have agendas. On top of that I'm a firm supporter of the police, yet they are human, can also have an agenda, & do also mistakes. I've seen a detective, first hand, LIE through his teeth on the stand, in a death penalty case, though the system worked & it later caught up to him.. Yes it's a jury of peers that ultimately makes the decision but facts in cases has been fabricated before. I have no doubt we have executed innocent people. Bottom line, people are fallibly & giving the government this much power is always a bad thing. I personally couldn't live with myself if I was put in a position to send someone to their death only to find out after that they were innocent. Then again that could all change if one of my family members was murdered, I'd probably want to pull the trigger myself.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ya know....it amazes me how many people are for humane treatment of prisoners. You don't want them executed due to concerns of "humane treatment"....or because you think the government has some agenda that's served by the prisoner's death. Fact is....we have executed THOUSANDS of innocent people since the 1700's. We've also imprisoned THOUSANDS of innocent people for "life" since that sentence became popular. Regardless of how you look at it....mistakes happen. No system is perfect...nor will they ever be. But, think of it from this angle....the human mind is extremely fragile. When put in undesireable circumstances, can be damaged beyond repair. Inmates serving "life sentences" can become mentally and emotionally damaged to the point of becoming a danger to themselves or others.....is that humane??? Executing someone to avoid the mental and emotional damage caused by life sentences...is actually more humane.

People that serve extended prison sentences forget how to interact with society in general and as such typically become a danger to themselves or society. Now, we have to teach them to do the things they forgot how to do.....then we have to teach them to be productive....then we have to give them welfare because nobody really wants to hire a convicted criminal... Seems to me that executions are considerably more humane....especially if you take into account the mental and emotional damage that occurs during the incarceration...

18. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    sykozis I somewhat agree with you that it is more humane to execute people. However, that's imo due to the failure of our prison system to prevent things like prison rape. It amazes me that people who oppose the death penalty on moral grounds turn around and argue that it's a better form of torture to imprison somebody; it's even more ridiculous if they reference any of the horrific things that our prison system can impose on people in the same breath.

Executing a man is apparently immoral, but sentencing him to a life of anal rape is A-Ok completely justified and very funny.

19. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    I understand i just had pancakes with cream ;)

20. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc

I couldn't disagree with you more. Killing someone is more humane than the possibility they are innocent & set free later? You saying killing an innocent person is just an acceptable part of the process? That is until you're that innocent person. With that frame of mind you may belong in there with them.

There are plenty of people that go to prison and come out fine. Where you get this idea, once you go in your damaged forever? It's just wrong. Where do you get this from movies? How many well known celebrities have gone to prison only to resume their career after? Truth be told in some cases it's a wake up call & the person leads a better life after getting out of prison.

Are you trying to make the fail thread?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010