It's time to upgrade but should I take the green pill or the red?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Redawgc187, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290

cuda=programing language does nothing for games.. or gamers.. unless ur into making cuda programed games..

physx = nice sometimes but certainly not a pie

Hybrid sli = come again? that only works if you own low tech motherboard.. and only works if you get low tech video card.. and performance increase is something of 5-10% to your video card.. you cant be serious.. guy is speaking about buying high end.. not buying 750 motherboard with 9600 gt ..

Ageia =physx ( atleast type the name correctly before you selling same crap twice )

Geforce boost= hybrid sli.. again selling same low end stuff , op would never use..

4850 cf will outperform 480 and 5870 ,you should either stick with it , cuz unless ur gaming on 2560 rez, there are no games that will need more power than that..
    im not sure if hybrid crossfire still works, but if it does .. you can just do 4850 4850 5870 in crossfire.. and well win?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh dear.

Yet another new member trying to make a name for himself as soon as he signs up on the forums.

And yet another new member making himself look rather stupid in the process.

It would really benefit you to spend some time lurking before running your mouth off replying to posts that a) you don't understand, and b) weren't directed at you.

Here's some free advice: lurk more, post less.. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  3. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    haha smikis I am very new here and even to me it was obvious he was kidding.
    But what you dont seem to realize is he has already made his decision on a gpu for reasons that suit what he is looking for.

4. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I want to thank all of you that helped me make a decision on what to get. I had a good idea of what I wanted but but it is nice to hear from owners of the cards I was deciding on. You kinda just a have to be carefull that your just taking advice from members that don't care about brand loyalty and care more about the performance and features. Oh and btw I changed my order at the last minute from a GTX 465 to a GTX 470 and was still able to stay just above 1,200 for everything.

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I don't think there is any right or wrong when choosing, it depends on whats best for you.

Did you get a good price on the Gtx 470 ?

Personally i've always thought a 470 was the least appealing card, as here in the UK they are about the same price as a 5870.
    Sapphire 5870 £296 vs Several 470's at around £290 now.

But i'm sure you considered all the options and local prices.

hope you enjoy it !!!!

6. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Cheapest in the uk for a gtx470 is aria 270 pounds...

7. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    oh yeah...... but its no name no bundle superspecial limited deal.
    great price though if you don't mind a generic brand and no bundle. !!!!

In fact those "arianet" cards may even be the Inno3d ones, thats what the description says on the 480 version.

My Inno3d 480 came with literally nothing in the box except the card.
    My other card a 2Gb 5870 vapor-x from sapphire came with Dirt2, Stalker Call of P, and Acrsoft TMT with sim hd plugin !!!!!!

side note....I've been looking at some POV gtx 465's for circa £245, that'd be great if its true they are all just 470's with a different bios !!!!!!

8. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290

oh dear another clueless guy pretending to be smart by flaming others, i been lurking before you were even member on this site.

a: i understand, you dont b: it was directed to noone, it was fanboy reply
    c: its a forum and d: world doesnt orbit around you
    e: even if he decided already , nothing stops him from changing his mind..
    f: i use nvidia cards.. i never had ati card.. so if you planing to come back with some silly fanboy reply , dont bother
    g: i have no intentions to make a name for my self, why would i need such thing? i check website once a week, post once a couple of weeks.. maybe its you whos trying so hard to be someone

9. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Yep i bought the aria version - I can confirm its an inno3d (same card as ebuyer are selling for 310 quid) came bundled with a gaming mouse mat too :)

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

Dude, you're about as dumb as a box of rocks....really.. :D

Sad, but true..... lmao

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  12. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290

and you right there proving to be smart? all you do is calling names, maybe thats how you do things in nz,

you got 0 arguments, you cant even write full sentence, i wont start calling you a monkey, but you clearly act like one, and i certainly wont start arguing with some god damn kid on the internet , later

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually, you did start arguing with me, it was you who flamed me remember.

And me a kid? I'm a 35 year old hardware engineer, so I guess that makes you the clueless kid. ;)

And another thing: I was being sarcastic, dumbass. Clear enough? You must be the only person in this thread who didn't get it.

[​IMG]

You may go now.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm sorry but you are wrong, you didn't understand his post. Also I don't aggree with your opinions about CUDA.

If I had dual 4850's I wouldn't even consider upgrading. Even my 9800 GTX+ does pretty well at 1080p (if not, I use 864p). I'm going to skip this first DX11 generation and I recommend that for everyone else too.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I don't see why.

16. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I know you got flamed for this... but, I'll give you a hand of support here.

Physx and CUDA are SDKs.
    You have to code against the SDK to get anything from it.
    Merely having hardware that supports the SDK does nothing without the software support to match.
    So you have a point there.

And yeah, physx is nifty, but it's hardly ever applied beyond a few extra particles. The problem with canned physics solutions is that you have to mangle your data structures to get something that you can 'plug into' what the physx SDK supports as a primitive.
    In that regard, CUDA is nicer, because it lets you use your own data structures, but simply offload your computations.

Hybrid SLI is sort of meh'.
    Results may vary... but we've all seen the benchmarks where hybrid sli between two disparagingly different cards is worse than just the good card by itself.
    The slow card basically 'dragging down' the fast card...
    Can it help at times? sure... but it's only "great more often than not" when you're dealing with cards that are about par.
    (imo, you have a point about hybrid sli sucking)

4850 cf is better than a 480 or 5870?
    [edit]
    I looked up some benchmarks
    Here's one where the 4850 has less than half the fps of a 5850.
    example : http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870/images/coh_1920_1200.gif

You would have to have a game that LOVES crossfire (perfect scaling), to be ballpark par with the latest round of single cards.
    I think you'll have a really hard time making 4850 cf beat a 470 or 5850 (let alone a 480 or 5870).

5850 lightly beats 4870 xf
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/5850 vs 4850 cf/batuchka/HD5850a.jpg

5850 spanks 4870 xf
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/5700_101209230406/20455.png

4870 xf lightly beats 5870, spanks 5850
    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/5850_092909204359/20175.png

I think you'll have a hard time justifying that 4850 xf is better than a 480 or 5870.

-scheherazade

17. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Titles that use a lot of DX 11 effects run like poop (2033, avp).

Titles that use DX11 effects sparingly run well (dirt 2).

This generation doesn't have a single gpu that can run a HEAVY DX11 game fast.

You can do SLI or whatever, and get fps to break 60 average... or you can wait for next gen.

So if you want a single card, that will do it all, you should wait.

That's the only argument I can put forward for waiting.

-scheherazade

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^^I agree with basically everything you just said....and currently their are just 15 PC games that support Physx..

Btw, Hybrid SLI/GeForce boost is so meh, that nVidia dropped desktop support for it in Windows 7.

Of course they didn't really go out of their way to let customers know....typical Nvidia marketing.

My board has an 8300 IGP, but it's rendered almost useless...

19. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    I actually got a combo deal on the mobo and cpu from compusa which made the 470 affordable might SLI later on.

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard & Intel Core i7 920 Processor w/ Fan Bundle

20. Nvidiot91

Nvidiot91 Member

GPU:
    2 x Gtx 470's Giga,Palit
    Sutura you are a joke saying that 1366 is a dieing socket. Attention everyone! Our most advanced and most powerful socket(1366) is apparently dieing and apparently really bad! We all should just throw away our x58 mobos and go back to 775, because we all know that more options are better. An overclocked celeron beats an i7 no problem anyway!