Blur poor performance improved !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by blesner, May 29, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    OK I will do but I think I have already tried it with the OSD off before and I don't think it made any difference.

Annoying that ATI have separate Application Profiles now but they haven't included entries for either Blur or Split/Second. Do they think gamers are happy to wait months before they can play the games they've bought properly? :3eyes:

2. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    You are joking ?

720p 2xAA and a vaseline effect , not to mention 30 fps and lower sometimes.

Further more if you need prove have a peep at this article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-blur-face-off

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @THEBIG360 - I've been playing Blur on the 360 and while it might only be 1280x720p with 4xAA @ 30 fps the game feels a hell of a lot smoother and seems faster than it does on my PC even though my specs far exceed those of the ageing Microsoft console. By the way, the 360 version runs at 30 fps with no dips that I've noticed and I've been playing it quite a lot. The EG video confirms that the game maintains 30 fps in all of those clips. Impressive considering how much stuff is going on at times.

With multiformat games that were led on the consoles it really is down to blind luck whether the game will run uber-well on your PC as opposed to badly as I've found with some games. For every Devil May Cry 4 or Resident Evil 5 there are five Blurs or Split/Seconds. IMO.

4. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Was qouting his remark about ps3 , never said a word about 360. If u take a minute to read the article you will see it states that the ps3 has frame drops, and only uses 2xAA.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'd already read it actually but the PS3 vs. 360 comparison video only shows two split-second dips to 28 fps in the PS3 version, something you'd never detect during the game itself. As for the AA, the PS3 version uses 2xAA with an edge-detect filter and doesn't have a "vaseline" effect at all. It's not as sharp as 4xAA, sure, but it's not the Quincunx blur-fest that Red Dead Redemption is on the PS3. IMO, obviously.

Anyway, my point was right now I'd take either of the console versions over the PC version because on my machine it's either offputtingly juddery/hitchy, even on setting below that of the consoles, or with CrossFireX the framerate nosedives to 15 fps and stays there if I cross through water. I'm not going to blame the developers entirely, the nature of PCs means that it is impossible to test the game on the billions of different combinations of hardware that there are out there so cases like mine may be in the minority but are still hugely annoying all the same. As it is I'll have to wait to see if the developers can fix it.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. I can see now why Black Rock Studios went for a 30 fps framerate cap on the PC version of Split/Second as it feels far smoother in play than Blur does despite it having the higher framerate. When a game dips slightly below 30 fps then it's a lot less noticeable in feel than another game that dips from 60 fps to 30 fps and back like Blur does. I feel Blur would run better on my PC if I could cap the framerate to 30 fps like the console versions.

7. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    http://www.tommti-systems.de/temp/SSAA_Tool.rar

- simple SLI/CF FPS Limiter to reduce Microstuttering - the FPS can be defined by a user value (dx8-dx11)
    I think it works for single cards too. I gonna try it.

Edit

Just read the Readme, no benefits on single cards :(

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  8. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Cheers for that . Not that i am having any issues really. Although this is what i like about pc gaming have an issue then its solvable. Get a horrible , laggy jag fest of a console game and you are lumberd with it. Which i think covers around 80% of them.

And before i forget. THATS IMO.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks but it wouldn't be that useful for me with Blur either even with CrossFireX because as soon as I drive through any water the framerate drops to 15 fps and stays there until the end of the race. Thanks anyway.

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No problem. But, that's is weird. That is not happening here (Using 10.4 Tweaked by Tweak force, used 10.5a and didn't happened either)
    I have a minimum of 25 FPS but never gets locked.

Just to know, do you have the Update 2 of the game installed?

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I agree that many console games are spoilt by screen tearing, poor framerates and/or sub-HD resolutions and one of the great things about the PC is these games can run and look so much better than is possible on the consoles. It's one of the main reasons I've moved away from gaming mostly on the consoles to gaming on the PC. That and the games are much cheaper!

The annoying thing of it is though that many multiformat games that arrive on the PC these days are compromised console ports with limited graphical options in many cases, including lack of support for AA if it uses DX9 and deferred lighting, and they come with a shocking number of issues that suggest that it wasn't high on the list of priorities for the developers. I feel awful saying that but I've been playing PC games since 1998 and in that time I've seen a gradual decline in the quality of many PC multiformat games because the consoles is where most of the money is made. Rather than developers spending lots of time ironing out issues in the PC code, you're lucky if you get one or two quick-fix patches to sort out the major issues and that's that. Sad but true. Makes you wonder whether spending money on graphics card is really worth it if the games still end up running poorly anyway.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes I have the second update I believe.

The framerate drop when driving though water ONLY occurs when playing the game in CrossFireX mode. If I disable CrossFireX and play on one HD 5870 then the framerate is higher and it doesn't slowdown when driving through water. Instead it just hitches/judders annoyingly even though the framerate shows as 40 - 60 fps. On one track, Russian Hill, the game visible pauses for almost a second on the second big jump everytime on lap 1 and less so on subsequent laps.

So, as you can see, with CrossFireX and without CrossFireX I have a flawed gaming experience. That is what is so aggravating! :3eyes:

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Gotta agree with Darren on this one, if a game can't maintain 45-60fps, the you are better off with a constant 30fps, there are certain PC games i would never put on around my console owning friends as i know they would comment on how poorly it runs compared to the console version.

I know you are stuck with what you get on a console game, but if nothing can be done to stop the framerate drops on the PC version, then how is that better, it frustrates me, so i can only imagine how much more it would be for someone with an i7 and CF 5870's.

Though 15fps, haven't saw it go that low myself, but haven't spent much more than 30mins on it myself.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You won't on single cards, seems to be an issue with running the game in CrossFireX on ATI cards. I don't know whether the same thing happens with NVIDIA's SLI but at a guess I'd say not because I think their drivers are generally better. IMO. ;)

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah right, the drop from 60-15 must be incredibly jarring, but even when its in the 40's i don't like this looks.

Split Second on High on this machine is very smooth at 30fps, Blur isn't.

I know many would moan, but i would like to see alot more PC ports capping the framerate to 30fps when ingame VSync is used, and also more time making the game look better at lower framerates.

17. Rathbone

Rathbone Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    I think there are some console spoiled guys here. 30 fps is NOT smooth gameplay at least for me as a guy who hasn't owned a console since my Atari 7800. :banana:

S/S is NOT smooth. Blur runs on my 5850 BE with 50-60 fps. Now this is smooth!

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Renaming Blur.exe to DiRT2.exe seems to give much better performance with CrossFireX plus avoids the horrid 15 fps thing when going through water but it's not perfect. For some reason, even though the framerate counter shows 60 fps the game never feels like it is running at that speed, more like 20 fps. It doesn't happen all the time and it's hard to explain... it just feels off, particularly when I load up the 360 version, which runs at 30 fps only, and that seems faster and smoother.

Still, it's better than running the game on one HD 5870 as the hitching just gets on my nerves and really ruins the game for me. I even tried reverting back to the 10.5 WHQL from the 10.5a Hotfix drivers but the problem is still there. Guess I'll have to wait for either ATI to update their drivers/profiles and/or the developers patch the game.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I agree.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having it as an option. Ghostbusters The Video Game had a 30 Hz and 60 Hz toggle. I feel that if Blur had an option to lock the framerate to 30 fps it would run much smoother and more importantly, feel smoother to play. As I said earlier, I suspect this is why Split/Second on the PC is locked at 30 fps. When those explosions and buildings kick off then even a framerate of 60 fps is going to drop drastically and that would ruin the perceived smoothness of the game. Split/Second, being a console led game, is very heavy on the CPU. Blur, I suspect, is also more dependent on the CPU than the GPU too.

20. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have disabled Crossfire in this game fully, its playable with one gpu, its not with two. And the drops are not that bad, you get used to it. I get more annoyed with the framedrops in SS than in blur.