Use nukes to contain the oil spill

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JACK4HIRE, May 21, 2010.

1. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I'm pretty confident that the last resort relief well will work....the amount of pressure that they have to pump mud against will drop when the relief well intercepts the shaft. Even then there isn't an unlimited amount of oil in the reservoir...BP probably has a pretty good estimate of how much oil is there but won't disclose it for economic reasons...and the pressure that's driving the oil and gas upwards will slowly decrease too and won't completely empty the reservoir....besides I thought the bible said the sea will turn red not black lol

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

lol i found this ironic, it actually says the sea turned black..and rivers turn red.. Enigma- the voice of the snake @ 0:50 the song was based on the bibles book of revelations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_y6xP7bdmQ

3. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    yep 'tis why i said it dude lol:banana: I remember this from school, my tutor must have been clued up lol

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    lol well I never heard of them but a quick google search says they base the "sea turned black" on the second angel blowing a trumpet in revelations and the verse says "a third of the sea was turned into blood". Dunno how they get black out of that...blood pudding maybe lol

http://www.jaj.com/space/efrazier/enigma_mean.html

Last edited: May 31, 2010

5. nge769

nge769 Member

GPU:
    2X5970's Quad CFX
    My opinion is the risk outweighs the benefit with the nuclear method. It can make it far worse to contain.Then were all in deeper Doo Doo..

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    It seems to be the more time is passing the more BP and Co are running out of options.

The nuclear method could have some serious political repercussions: if it works it could spur a new age of public confidence in the peaceful applications of such technology, this would mean a much needed rethinking of global energy policies.

If it fails you would get more negative press on atomic tech which is no good.

7. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    I read a blog the other morning that just might have worked if it was attempted.
    An upstanding fellow having some pull with the parish in LA seemed determined that IF BP took all it execs & tarred & feathered them then cut off their heads that the heads could then be used as a "junk shot".
    Makes real sense to me as I read it.......................................Technology that would sove multiple problems at once!

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm well it could work but their heads are too big to fit down the pipe and too much air in them making them too buoyant so they would need to shrink them first and I think the technological expertise for doing that is difficult to come by these days...the devil is in the details they say ;)

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Heard on the news it's going be another couple months before relief wells are in place.

10. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's probably more like 3 months depending on how many tries it takes to intercept the well shaft and not including any potential for operations to be suspended and maybe surface equipment damaged due to a possible hurricane in the meantime.

11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    ironic that a hurricane might show up after this.

12. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    ^^ its going to be a mess, if a hurricane picks up some oil its going hundreds of miles inland. Thats gonna suck, apart from the obvious destruction of the hurricane

13. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well if the oil goes hundreds of miles inland (linear not sq eg 100*N rather than 10x10) then the oil will spread out thin enough that the ecological systems will better absorb it. A weak hurricane or TS might well be far worse than a powerful cat 3 storm in that the oil won't be washed far enough inland to be diluted.

The two major concerns I'd have are will the storm churn up one of the gigantic plumes of oil underneath the surface and send it ashore? Will the storm interrupt the relief well drilling?

14. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Good point and when all the air is sucked out of them im sure they would easily fit then. Probably about the size of a large grapefruit left id imagine after all the BS PR crap air is removed.:)

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh goodie...the AG has opened a criminal investigation so we get to watch a dog vs. pony in a dog and pony show at taxpayer expense <eyeroll>

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Awesome idea.

Next thing you know they'll want us to use grenades to pick up milk spills at home.

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well at least they won't have to pretend it's important like they did with the whole damn steroid-baseball thing a few years back.

18. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I tried to tell a friend of mine back then that they all use steroids because if they didn't someone else who did would take their "job" and she refused to believe me...

the thing with this is that there's no law against being greedy and hasty and not following standard oil drilling procedures and they won't probably won't even go after the people who are guilty of that anyway. They can say that the high-ups in BP or whatever company are responsible due to a chain of command but none of these clowns are actually involved in the day to day decisions at the drill site and there's a very good chance that the current CEO of BP will be dismissed before being indicted anyway.

Really I think it's all being done to appease the whiners who have nothing better to do then to blame government officials for anything and everything under the sun.

If they want to fine the on site supervisors and fine them for everything they have or will ever have and give them some white-collar jail time too it sure won't bother me one bit...go for it I say. But it's not going to fix the damage done.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  19. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  20. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well BP already turned down his offer to help and then he called them morons...it's not clear to me exactly what Cameron's beef is or what it is he thinks a hollywood moron can do that an oil company moron can't lol