NVIDIA 257.15 Beta out for grabs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chinobino, May 24, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

197 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

37 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    I didn't do anything other than install the driver. I'm not keen on modifying drivers. I installed, rebooted to make sure I was seeing things correctly and it's still working. This is one time that I didn't use drivesweeper and I didn't encounter any problems installing the video driver. When I go to the control panel it shows that all files for this particular driver are installed. Nhancer shows that this driver is installed and after several reboots I haven't had any problems with nhancer or this driver not working correctly. BTW I'm using Win7 Pro. It was an upgrade from Vista. I did a clean install of Vista before installing the upgrade of win7. Maybe this has something to do with why it works for me. I don't know. All I can say is that it works.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It can't be...

3. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    But it is.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Might want to check your driver version then...

5. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    It's the correct version. System info shows 257.15. I don't doubt that people are having trouble with Nhancer and this driver. In fact I don't won't to get into a long drawn out argument or conversation about it. All I can say is that it's working on my system. Anyone want to make a trip to Savannah GA can come to my residence and see for themselves.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well this was posted yesterday by the developer of nHancer:

http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=1768

Maybe you should tell him wat you've discovered.....

7. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    Trust me I love to do that. But I don't know a thing about programming or editing this type of file. All I did was install it over an older driver and it worked. I have no idea what I may have contributed to make it work. I really don't know. If I did I'd share it here in a heart beat. BTW what version of Nhancer are you using? I'm using ver 2.5.9.

8. exaslave

exaslave Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560ti
    But are you sure that it is indeed working correctly? For example forcing 4x4 supersampling AA or forcing AA off and it working as intended?

I can only assume leaving the old xml file could make it work like that.

Edit: Ah indeed copying the nvapps.xml files from the older drivers to the c:\ProgramData\nvidia folders makes nhancer work. Not exactly the right way to run it but at least it works.

Edit2: Nevermind, just as I thought even when nhancer apparently works it does not change settings on the games so it's pretty much useless.

9. Mesocyclone

Mesocyclone Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Titan SLI
    So no 2x2 SSAA possible?

Is there an other way to force 2x2 or better, the old 8xS(Q) combined mode with this driver?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes there's a tool the allows SSAA but I can't remember what it's called. The link is on the nvidia dev blog.

Be prepared for blur though.

Combined is awesome I agree.

11. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    You can find this tool here though somehow it doesn't do anything for me, so I just used the nHancer way of SSAA by using that profile tool I posted earlier. (Which looks better anyway)

And yes, I can confirm this. You can get nHancer to 'work' pretty easily by simply copying an old nvapps.xml. Or in Claude's case, it probably never was removed. And no, the new drivers don't use those anymore, so you can use nHancer all you want without getting results.

Clears that up though.

12. Mesocyclone

Mesocyclone Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Titan SLI
    You mean the downsampling tool? I have it, but that's just for dx10 and 11 only.

The nvidia SSAA tool uses sparsed grid SSAA, it does an awesome job for eliminating the jaggies, but is to blurry for my taste. It needs an LOD correction?

13. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Oh, and I suppose, if anyone is planning on editing profiles with Nvidia's provided tool:
    Code:
    Setting ID_0x10d773d2
    The code above is the AA setting. As the above poster, I was kind of missing the 2x2 SS, which is:
    Code:
    0x00000005
    Which makes the entire line:
    Code:
    Setting ID_0x10d773d2 = 0x00000005 UserSpecified=true

14. Markushka141

Markushka141 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX470
    do anybody have this kind of problem with this drivers, that it doesent run vantage and 06, pop-up a message that failed at system scan?

15. mark007

mark007 Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295
    make sure you have latest vantage build

16. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOD-bias should be

-0.5 for 2x SSAA
    -1.0 for 4x SSAA
    -1,5 for 8x SSAA

from dev blog.

18. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Well I've just installed these on my new GTX 480.
    If these are meant to be amazing for BC2, I hate to see what it was like before.

I had an 'issue' with the 2 week old 5870 2Gb Vapor-x and sent it back thinking it was faulty.
    Seeing all the hype about these new drivers and a crap set of 10.5 from ati i went back to nvidia and got a GTX 480 in haste http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322516

All I can say is i'm well disappointed.
    The frame rate in this game is similar to the 5870 2GB, but it feels so much jerkey.

The 5870 2gb was butter smooth, even at dips in the 50 fps range on mutliplayer map 'white pass' in heavy action.
    The 480 feels as so jerky, (like microstuttering i felt back in my 9800GX2 days) even though the framerate is the same on this map.
    In fact it feels just like my GTX285 did which I sold 3 weeks ago (but that was dipping to 30 fps)

I'm a a fresh install, Win 7 x64. 1920x1080 4AA 16AF maxed vsync off.
    I've tried vsync/ triple buffers adn 'render ahead 1'

My conclusion must be something in the nvidia drivers makes this game not smooth.

19. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well I have to disagree with you here. For me these drivers are the best so far. BC2 feels smoother(All maxed out) than with the previous drivers. Also tested L4D, L4D2, Batman: AA, GTA EFLC, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Crysis,Cryostasis, Borderlands and COD: MW2. No rare issues with none of those games, in fact, the gameplay feels smoother.

20. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I'm not debating that these drivers aren't the best so far by nvidia for BC2, what I was getting at is that ATi are better on that game.