does AMD processors have more of an advantage over intel CPUs?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sublime20, May 27, 2010.

1. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100

What you haven't said is this: What EXACTLY am I going to use this new PC for? Answer that & you have answered your own question!
    For all around general use? Then spend as much as you can possibly afford. If more specific then state so. Obviously the best CPU & best GPU money can buy is the answer coupled with a top of the line M/B.
    The simple answer has already been said, buy the highest end hardware you can afford..............Always been that way always will be that way.
    The better the hardware you buy the less often you will need to upgrade however, so that's another factor to consider....... not just performance since nobody stays top dog long in this endless upgrade race anyway..

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Right ok. Sorry to piss all over your thread. But to answer your question, no AMD don't have an advantage over intel. Intel offers better performance. AMD better value for money. Common knowledge really.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes, but there was a time...ahh yes, the golden years....:wanker:

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah but the time is now, not 5 years ago.

5. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti

to make my main question more objectified:

i heard from my local custom PC store that AMD is the way to go....but i question this.... because I am looking to build a custom PC for extreme multimedia/gaming and i want to make sure i get what i am looking for

more specifically:
    *games mostly dx10 and dx11 (i want a rig that can hande DX11 specifically and this is my reason for taking another plunge)

*bluray

*2way SLI/Crossfire (i will go with ati or nvidia)

*music production (i play elec. guitar and will invest in Audio production software that taylors to guitar effects processing and other stuff)

i basically want a overall great performer with high multitask capabilities...

i have a tendancy to get stuff i dont really ask for, and thats why i am here.

(this happened when i got my HP( my current rig)....i thought i was buying an all arounder, but my GFX card isnt what i thought it was....i origally thought it was the MSI N260GTX lightning..... the only other GTX260 w/ 1.8GB of vram i have seen..link here:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/?85696
    . but its not. and the next picture will show you how different it is from the msi version

[​IMG]

and i also thought my Core i5 750 was enough for me, (it sure looked promising on paper) but its really bottlenecking my performance.

i didnt do research and because of this i didnt know that my HP came stock with a modified PSU that was severely underpowered @ 480W so in turn i bought my 500W psu to replace it.

i figured if it had an i5, GTX260, and 6GB of ram, that it would have been standard proceedure for HP to sell it with at least a 600W + PSU

overall, i am trying to base my new CUSTOM rig (non OEM) off the CPU
    as well as staying within at least $1,200 USD (i dont need a fancy eye candy type rig, i dont need lights, crazy looking cases and whatnot)
    -i hope that sums it up

i hope i am saying stuff you guys can interpret......its really frustrating to be into PCs and expecting one thing and getting another because of lack of experience.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah - prebuilt systems are 99% crap.

They ALWAYS skimp on something, usually the PSU or Gfx card...normally the PSU though, or else a uATX board.

It's always something...

Anyway you're making perfect, sense don't worry.

It's like this: do you want a car that does 200mph, or would you be happy with a car that does 150mph but is a lot cheaper?

Both are fast, one is just faster.

7. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    well all of my previous PC were custom.. i have only had 3 before my current OEM PC.....
    all of which were extremely outdated when i had them
    which is why i am trying to get the downlow on AMD and Intel alike

.....the "150MPH and alot cheaper" concept is what im shooting for......not the cream of the crop...just a pc that can handle high task requirements, not extreme

and i figure the CPU is the best place to start

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Use your current i5 just overclock it to 4GHz, get new motherboard for 1156 since guessing one you have now is oem? an new psu 600-700watt range decent quality one.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So you're building a rig for dx11 games? Why? Look, what's your budget? Then we can give you a few options.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    sublime20, just get a Radeon HD 5850 and there you go, you just got yourself a DX11 rig. I can't seem to see why you need an upgrade, your rig looks quite new as is.

Maybe you might need a new PSU, but that depends on if your PSU has 2 PCIe power plugs, if it does, then you're all set to go.

deltatux

11. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    lol... this is becoming a task, but this is why i came to GURU3d in the first place and ultimately ditched my local ma & pa PC shop......

anywho, i dont have any particular DX11 games in mind..... other than dirt2, crysis and its up and coming sequel, and a few other titles

I like multitasking (encoding/decoding riffs other audio stuff i record with video/ while recording and using other programs of the sort in between ( i am the epitomy of a window switcher) i also do stuff with graphics for school

My i5 just dont cut it still, and i dont feel comfortable OCing a CPU.....GPU is another story

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Why not cpu's pretty hard to brake, never broke one yet unless you go real crazy like pumping mega volts through it on stock cooling it's not going to die from overclocking. Ain't much else faster than i5, the 1090T at app's is faster an i7 or 980x which costs an arm an a leg.
    Read some i5/i7 guides about overclocking get yourself a decent motherboard an decent psu, your psu brand never heard of it.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Might pay for you to invest in a soundcard...it will take a load off your CPU..

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
  15. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti

ill take a picture of the box lol

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  17. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    sorry for the Sh*tty pictures... this is my psu k3vst3r

heres a link to the zumax website

http://zumaxpower.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    If I was you eyeing your specs. id junk out the HP crap (never go back to that again!)& keep your mem, i5 cpu, then buy a better GPU, new case if necessary nothing fancy just BIG if needed, a new hi power PSU & most importaintly, a hi-end M/B that still supports the i5 BUT: will allow a cpu upgrade lateron. Just a better M/B & a better PSU & better GPU is all ya need now. Pre-builts always have ****ty PSUs & are hell to upgrade for various reasons that owing one you already know.
    Intel is a better chip if you can afford it, they have larger caches and are designed to be more efficient. Id go the Intel rout if I could afford it but AMD is definatly hands down the best bargain for my daily uses. If I already had the hardware you have tho id gut it & build another sys. You could probably use the 260 for a physics card eh?
    Id also OC that i5 to at least 3.0GHZ that's NOT a big leap. Just buy a hi-end cooler...............................

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    From NewEgg...http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817101011

Pros: Initially installed and ran great, no worries on power for my system which really isn't monstrous, so perhaps not much of a challenge. DFI LanParty with 2 7600 GT SLI, Dual core 3800+, quiet.

Cons: About 1year and a month after I installed, dead.
    My old cheapie Okia 450 is running things til I get a replacement. I have two other 7-8 year old systems in the office (Hey, I only need t run MS Office and do my email on those) with original PSUs. This one only 13 months?

Other Thoughts:
    1 year warranty seems too short. Haven't looked at other makes though, so just my impression.
    what a hunk of junk

Cons: died after 18 months of use. really lightweight compared to the older tagan line, which i think this company made.

Other Thoughts:
    intermittant problem started where i couldn't start the system unless i had only one of my two raptors attached. put a cheap-o psu in line, and everything works fine.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i only chose AMD for price and unlocked multipliers. i'm not very good with fsb..etc. Considering the differences in most modern cpu's are not always immediatly noticable and games were only a few fps higher on intel, then AMD makes a good middle road to wait for something with a little more wow factor in the future...hopefully. Since the dual cores came out, i havnt been wowed yet.