MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

RTFM, settings must be applied prior to saving a profile.

2. KurtF1

KurtF1 New Member

GPU:
    Club3D GeForce 8800 GTS
    sorry man, that's right, but why??

3. Unwinder

Because it is the only safe and logical way. Try to imagine that some idiot type in unstable 1GHz core clock, save it to profile without applying it first (i.e. even without ensuring that harwdare is not immediately crashing with such settings) then let's say associate such profile with 2D mode via automatic profiles manager. Only applied settings are saveable and it will not change under any conditions. Such approach is used and will always be used in the majority of overclocking tools. And to avoid "why?" questions just read help prior to using anything. It is not hard at all.

4. dante`afk

dante`afk Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 1080 ftw SLI
    just found out that if I`m running afterburner + statistic server or rivatuner + statistic server it pushes my fps down for 5-30% ;F depends on game.

5. Unwinder

Try to find out such thing as a context help prior to enabling ANY option, amount of information displayed in OSD directly affects performance hit!!!

Show in On-Screen Display
    Allows showing currently selected graph values in the On-Screen Display.

Hints:
    - You must activate and select desired graph to get access to this option.
    - On-Screen Display rendering is not free in terms of performance, each displayed symbol requires both CPU and GPU resources. So try to avoid displaying unnecessary information in the On-Screen Display in order to minimize the performance hit.
    - Enabling this option will cause additional MSI On-Screen Display Server process to be automatically started. The server provides On-Screen Display rendering services to 3D applications and it cannot be unloaded until you disable On-Screen Display output for all graphs.
    - You may hold <Shift> button pressed on your keyboard while changing this option to change it synchronically for all graphs.
    - You may disable user interface tooltips via <User interface> tab in advanced properties.

Also, OSD server itself context help tells you wich options (such as OSD shadow rendering) add even more performance hit.
    And there is no need to clone the same question in multiple threads. It won't make them to be answered faster, quite opposite it works in reverse direction because I treat users cloning 100% identical questions in many threads as potential troublemakers, especially if the question fits into RTFM category.

6. dante`afk

dante`afk Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 1080 ftw SLI
    I am aware of this. but I had not intended that it would be a such huge amount of fps.

I posted twice because I recognized that it was the wrong thread, at first post - sorry ;D

7. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    Moved to the future upgrades board for MSI AB.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  8. Taman Linkin

Taman Linkin Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    my afterburner swap core clock with mem clock and vice versa. current bugs or setup? afterburner 1.5.1 with forceware 197.41 whql.

[​IMG]

9. Unwinder

GTX400 series support was added in 1.6.0

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well i aint dead.... have just 1 question.
    any added monitoring for vrm temps in the near future for the gtx400 cards?

11. Unwinder

There are no thermal sensors there. And even if there we, they would be added to RT only.

12. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Suggestion

Option = X exit button = Minimize to tray .

Regards

13. douglatins

douglatins Guest

Unwinder, you should look into the FAN profile graph HEAVILY micro stuttering, in my experience Crossfire

14. Unwinder

No, you should use search and peek into fan speed update period option context help. It is HEAVILY boring to waste work time on discussing the same things multiplew times.

15. The Florist

The Florist Member

GPU:
    GTX280
    Why does AB show a different 3d voltage than bios, GF100 ?

For instance my bios shows 1.0v perf 3d, AB shows 1.062v while running in perf 3d.
    Is this a nibitor reading error?

16. Unwinder

Try to use search. There is NO explicit 3D voltage defined in GTX 400 series VGA BIOS. Each GPU uses its own voltage defined by fuses during manufacturing.

17. Mussels

Mussels New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    Suggestion: CPU usage

With the reporting features and OSD, please add support for showing CPU usage - either as an overall reading (0-100%) or a per-core reading (similar to how we get usage per GPU)

It'd be very handy for determining if a system is CPU or GPU bottlenecked in a particular game, if this is implemented.

18. GBCirinO

GBCirinO New Member

hello! i hope to help in the development of MSI Afterburner cause is a great OC utility.

sometimes i have issues when a 3d program (furmark, bad company 2,NFS Shift) starts. it seems that the vga (msi 5850), oced with afterburner, doesnt increase the overvolt im using (1,225v) to run the oc (950c/1200m). BTW the OC ran for 1 hour without any problems.

19. GPUCoder

GPUCoder Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5870 CF @ 1GHz
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. I decided to register to decribe the following bug that exists in MSI AfterBurner 1.5.0.

The Crossfire 2d/3d mechanism does not work as it should to. 3d clocks apply fine, but when it switches to 2d mode only 1 card downclocks to the desired powerplay clocks and the other one stays at default 3d clocks of ccc.

I found out that this is not a problem with rivatuner server which does the profile switching but with the profile mechanism itself in AfterBurner. Thats because if i manually apply my 3d profile by a keyboard shortcut and then apply my 2d profile it does the same. It takes to apply 2d profile twice via keyboard shortcut to make both cards downclock to powersaving clocks. Which card will be downclocked correctly has to do with which one is selected in AfterBurner window (if then i select the other one it downclocks too).

PS: I was fine with just one card:bang:

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  20. laurent

laurent New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD5870 1GB
    I probably found a new problem with MSI Afterburner concerning customized fan profiles.

I found that one user (sideeffect) reported fan profiles getting unticked. My problem is probably not related but the behaviour of this one is already quite close.

In my specific case fan speed (Asus Radeon 5870) sometimes spins up to 50% after booting windows. I have configured a customized fan profile and right after booting i have to untick & tick the "user define" button once (main MSI Afterburner screen) for it to work.
    The weird part: this can't be reproduced all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. As a result finding out what causes this could indeed be a problem.
    I have used Afterburner 1.5.1 as well as the latest beta.

Apparently this has also been described here:
    http://www.overclock.net/ati/709933-msi-afterburner-fan-profile-not-starting.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.