Corsair H50 alternatives

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by smith10210, May 22, 2010.

1. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Also keep in mind that the H50 is designed for cases with a good airflow. I have mine in the 5.25" bay as an intake in a storm sniper case. I've got good temps with it. Also, the H50 is intended to perform like top aircoolers, not custom waterloops.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Uncalled for, from now on I suggest you stay out of any thread about the H50. Do it again and you'll get an infraction.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    You stated stock voltages what about stock processor speed? Is the quad OCed just not volt modded? What is the temps at stock clock? Id try that before applying new tim, if its cooler when running stock clocks then its obviously not a tim prob, its just higher processor temps from higher clock speed. Under demand a processor will pull more voltage so if its OCed its going to run hotter then stock speed under hi demand regardless of leaving the voltage at stock. Higher voltage is mainly for stability in a OC.
    So what is your temp at stock clocks?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'd say your case is half the problem..

Is that a mid-tower?

Another question....how are you measuring your CPU temp? By the CPU sensor or Core sensor?

6. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    I'm starting to value such coolers these days..
    If it manages to do even slightly better then ur previous air cooling , the H50 is a win.
    of course a better casing will have better air flow , giving u better results.
    I removed 2 cards from my rig and GPU temps are 20C less.. lol
    CPU temps are 6 to 8c's lower..
    Hot cards can hamper many things and if ur case has the slightest problem with flushing all that hot air , then things start getting annoying all over.
    It shouldn't look correct , it should be done correctly.. ;)
    Try a remount or running it outside case..
    btw doing 60c @ 3.8ghz 1.45v , doesn't seem bad but I'm not aware of where ur chip should be with a cooler like that on those volts..

7. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Ill be totally honest here,
    I wouldn't be using the H50 I have now IF I was running a 125w quad & planned to OC it. Id be using a seriously hi end cooling setup or run my sys. @ all normal clocks in auto. maybe OC the sys. mem, but that's it. The H50 is not intended for OCing quads in smaller cases...........Read posts at their website. Its an alternative to normal air cooling with a advantage to low end air coolers only. And they use it it in their monster sized Corsair case not mid towers or smaller. When I go quad hopefully AMD will still put out the 955 @95w eventually then yes Ill keep using the H50 but if I have to go 125w Ill be using a hi- end cooling sys or a hi-end air cooler. I researched pretty good before I bought the H50. I knew it wasn't a great cooler for hi wattage CPUs but great for low wattage ones. The Antec is a mid tower case, its even really too small for SLI. OK for single GPU solutions however, & has a great fan setup long as you add a few extra ones to the side & front.
    It has a cable management area also but isnt a good setup for multiple HDs either as that will block the front fans. Its a single GPU & single HD perfect case only if you want to keep things cool for anyone looking at a nice case using the minimual hardware.
    I am running one & not bashing them but they have their uses & hot quads in smaller cases isn't one of them. $800 for a Corsair case will instead buy one hell of a hi-end cooling water sys. as well as many other components such as a hi-end full sized case so............Ill never go that rout either with this cooler.

8. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    A while ago I found something pretty interesting:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034674459&postcount=183

He was using the H50 as an exhaust but he changed that later on as you can see in the same topic a few pages further:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034789448&postcount=245

So now my point is it can all be done if need be. :)

9. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Ok i have the stock TIM on and just ordered some more Shin-Etsu X23-7783D to try. I found it was used as stock TIM and yielded the best results. Also the pump and TIM might not be making the best contact because when i was screwing down the pump i didnt have it aligned right it was off a 1/8th of a turn and had to loosen and turn it so it would lock in maybe messed some of the TIM placement up.. I got my temps down a tad by using one of my Antec 3's on high speed as an intake on the H50 than i put a shroud on and eliminated the second fan. So its intake FAN=Shroud=H50.The shroud itself helped but eliminating the the push pull helped by 3 to 4c. So im around 32c at idle at stock voltage/3.6mhz. At 1.424volts/3.8mhz im at 35C my room is at 69 degrees. Intel burn test im hitting up to 56c overclocked at 1.42volts. Im using CPUID to monitor temps and voltage. Also my case is an Antec 300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...129042&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-042-_-Product and the exhaust is going out the top with a 140mm fan. I tried reversing the H50 as an exhaust and it was worse and also tried an exhaust on the side it seems better with all intake and letting the top 140mm fan be an exhaust. I did some more research and think with my 955be and H50 setup im in line with other users for the most part. Thanks for all the help and yes ive considered water cooling maybe next year i just cant afford buyng a full tower and h20 setup now im inline waiting to setup to a gtx480 and that will be it this summer.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im sorry about that if i have upset anybody but its true what i say...i will speak no more about the H50.

11. signas_86

signas_86 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI Watercooled
    yeah..its quite true..got my h50 replace my gigabyte g power pro 2,and it perform a little bad compare my previous cooler...a little shame,but its save me some space tho...

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    ^^ What was your previous cooler?

13. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I don't understand why everyone has bad results, I have one on a C0 i7 and my results are comarable to a megahalem or TRUE

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    ^^ I don't get it either, mine was eaily comparable to highend air cooling. I guess there setting them up wrong i.e bad seating, setup as exhaust over intake, or got the pump power in a fan header that can't give it enough juice maybe?

15. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Same here.

The only reason i can fathom that someone is getting worse temps is either ridiculous ambient temps, or user error plain and simple.

16. mrlips

mrlips Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW
    I love mine too but just an observation shouldn't the power supply be turned over?

17. spiffyskater

spiffyskater Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE /GTX680 / 4gb
    i dont get it either, mine works great! About 20c lower then the stock cooler at full load on the i7 930 @ 2.9ghz (stock) using the x58a ud3r board. I did replace the stock TIM with artic silver after cleaning it with the artic sliver thurmal paste remover and purifier. The reason why i remounted it was becuase i had noticed that i mounted mine sideways, the copper plate on the bottom is not round, Its more of an rectangualr oval. After remounting it lengthwize (and with the new thermal paste) i noticed a drop of about 5c. Mine idles at 35c and gets to a max temp of 57c using prime95 for a couple of hours. Where on stock cooling it would reach 80c running the same test.

In my experiance it takes awhile for thurmal paste to break in. At first it was reaching temps in the mid 60s and has slowly worked its way down. I'm using a push/pull setup (as intake) on a Y connector pluged into the cpu fan port and have it set to auto.

Obviously its not going to work as well as a full blown water cooling setup but its also about a fourth or less of the price. Not everyone can afford expensive cooling setups.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  18. signas_86

signas_86 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI Watercooled
    gigabyte g power pro 2..not so famous but it perform as par as h50

19. CosmoPoLitan

CosmoPoLitan Guest

GPU:
    MSI Lightning GTX580
    I have a coolermaster hyper 212 on my 955BE which is running @ 3.8 Ghz (19x200) on 1.5v which yeah is a little high but I just got it so I'm just trying to burn it in right now before I try shooting for 4.2 Ghz. My point though, is that my temps are 38C idle, 45C gaming, and 60C on prime with side panel off and 42C, 45C, and 60C with the side panel on, if you're looking for a cheap replacement this is it.

NOTE: Used with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste applied using rice grain dot in the center of CPU.

20. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    My test results with various fan configs

[​IMG]